RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Been in this flat 6 and a half years now, and I think that boiler's had about 3 thermocouples since I've been here! Thought it had gone again last time it failed but it was down to a drop in pressure, apparently. Tested that this time before I called the engineer too, so could well be the thermocouple this time...

Trouble is, it's such an ancient boiler they never have the right thermocouple with them and it always ends up taking about 3 visits to get sorted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOA_SUKEZRE

• RMweb Gold

Morning, had a new boiler installed 15 months ago, British Gas quoted ??4,300. :blink: Got quotes from two other firms and settled on one at ??2,350 exactly same boiler etc. Funny thing was British Gas rang up to see if I was ready to proceed I politely said no, then an internet booking reduction of ??500 was quoted and then a further ??250 reduction was given over the phone! bringing the final price down to ??3,550. Still over ??1k more

Pays to shop around! Boiler fitted in a day and all going well.

• RMweb Gold

Morning All, Nice an' bright 'ere. Phil doing modelling stuff, better find the snow chains! I ventured into the blogosphere myself a couple of days ago. It's not as obvious as it should be and I'm still not convinced. It's a case of horses for courses I think and not one size fits all.

Cheers

Dave

It is for the Oxfam catalogue underpant section unfortunately. They seem to like off white Y fronts.

Glad your boiler is working Ok again. Did it turn out to be the thermocouple?

The Lego gasman was brilliant - although somewhat close to the truth! :blink:

As far as replacing the rads is concerned - if the boiler eventually gives up the ghost it will be necessary in my case. I have an open system with iron piping and 1930s radiators. There is no way that the system could be closed (and pressurised to 2 bar) without blowing pretty much every joint in the house. To be honest, I have contemplated taking a plumbing course and doing the whole thing myself!

• RMweb Gold

Boiler's (mostly) functional again... Pilot light has gone out twice more since the engineer's visit, but (touch wood) seems to be holding up ok now and lit at first ignition on both occasions...

Glad the boiler is OK. I've only just logged on. Wehave had friends visiting this weekend. Lots of eating and dogwalking! We had waffles for breakfast but with maple syrup. We managed to have a taste comparison between American and Canadian maple syrup.

Tony

Good Monday morning all!

I thought RMwebb had broke again this morning.

I seemed to get logged on automatically, but beyond the Index page I could go nowhere. No matter what I selected I just got a blank page. Lots of 'No Permission notices', so I logged off and logged on manually and bingo it was back to 'normal'. My pic has come through and I have seen pictures!

I enjoyed the Flanders & Swan. I used to have "At the drop of a hat" LP.

We don't have central heating here, just hot water cylinders. I have had to replace mine twice over 32 years which is not too bad.

Morning Don....No problems with the site this morning over here, so may have been a local issue.

Apologies, I must have missed the Flanders and Swan reference. That brings back memories of kids radio with Uncle Mac on Saturday mornings. The songs about Hippo's, Gnu and Bus Drivers were regulars.

I guess having a kids radio presenter known as Uncle Mac could get you locked up these days...

Morning All,

Getting up early and coming into work was a bit of a shock to the system this morning.

I arrive back at the usual time, after a week to find out I am moving offices this morning. By all accounts the renovation of our old wing is complete and we can move in - however, having been downstairs to look at the new office it looks like a building site and there isn't a single stick of furniture in there. Ridiculous! :angry:

Have a good day everyone! :icon_wave:

The F & S video clip is in Mike's post, top of this page.

Does you reference to an "Uncle Mac" presenter of a kids programme refer to protection of kids from possible molestation? I gather the rules protecting children are pretty draconian over there.

Sorry Mike, saw the YouTube link but was being called so skipped over it at the time. Brilliant! F & S lyrics were very clever.

Did a Google on Uncle Mac. Uncle Mac

It's been some time since I brought my kids up, but if what I read is true, a lot of things have changed. Photography is certainly frowned upon at school events such as sports days etc

Sad that the innocence of such times in your life has now been overtaken by the need to protect children. Thinking back as kids, we were always aware of the strange fellow you may have met in the park, but never really gave it a second thought...In reality it was probably a local issue and the Police were only too aware or such people.

The increase in problems with child molestation and photography is certainly one of the downsides of the internet...

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Apparently my inner clock's still on the old setting, which is why I woke up around six :huh: . Pretty grey outside.

Boy, was I exhausted by all that chatter over coffee yesterday! Much like it usually is on Christmas - figure I'll return home and be pretty much wasted that day, too :unsure: .

Later ;) .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It's on the news this morning that the government are planning to give children of seven careers lessons and work related learning. We are ruining their innocence and forcing them to grow up far too soon. I know that learning may need to be more relevant than it is now, but at seven? [/rant over]

Morning all

its very dull and grey outside so far. hopefully i'll have the other 2 baseboards built by lunch time.

i also have the boiler engineer coming out today. i'm in a rented house and the boiler is due its annual check up.

shouldnt be to bad a way to spend my day off.

hope everyone has a good day rolleyes.gif

Morning all!

Just about to head to the office. A day of trudging through the accumulated emails of the last year awaits...

On the plus side, although I'm working all 5 days this week, it'll feel like a 3 day week, as on Thursday and Friday, I'm going to be in the Inverness area learning how to gralloch deer (amongst other deer-related activities). Planning to drive up after work on Wednesday and stay in Inverness until Saturday morning.

• RMweb Gold

I had to google 'gralloch'. It doesn't sound a particularly pleasant occupation. Do you get to bring home any of the meatier parts? :rolleyes:

Mike may be interested in Jamie Oliver's (recent Channel 4 television series) recipe for Prairie Oysters.

Tony