Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Collies spent a very brief few moments with their ablutions this morning, returning white-capped: so, I take from that; it`s cold and snowy.

Our beach walkies today may be variant, the coastguard maritime forecast is for wind, S.E gale-force 8, increasing severe gale-force 9, snow.

......a titfer with ties, I think!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  BBC Brekky managed to say toy trains, but seemed to quickly recover themselves and for Louise Minchin to declare she loved them - Charlie Inastate just smirked.  #sigh#

Howling gale here, no snaa, looks like we'll miss the worst of it.  Lot of wind chill I suspect, it's only 2c and the wind is force 9 going on to 10.  Eeeuww.

Morning all. No snow overnight but it has started now. 

Text from the school saying they plan to close at mid-day. Or "After my spelling test!!!", as #1 child noted with great annoyance.

One thing to be aware of when looking at charity finance - and whether you wish to donate - is that the cost of charity governance is often expressed as a percentage of turnover, not as a true cost in cash terms. 15% rings a bell and can look as if those with oversight are feathering their own nests. In my experience this is not so and the cost of a few train tickets for volunteer governors to attend meetings obviously doesn't add up to tens of thousands of pounds (% wise). Don't necessarily be put off by the top level accounts, alone.  

From personal experience working in the charity sector for part of my career was something of an eye opener in many respects.   

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Sympathies from me too Don.

My Dad too - he recalled a (possibly the same?) five-letter-beginning-with-O overseas aid charity only giving 10% of its income to overseas aid recipients and has never donated to them as a result.

Been in Glasgow during the day, came back to the flat about 4 o'clock and have had to suffer over 90 minutes of drumming from next door.  The sooner I buy a detached house the better...

Yup.....

I'm sticking with the RNLI and the hospice that cared for my dad.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

White out and snowing hard here about 40mm so far...... It is nice to be retired and not have to go out. Except I have been out sweeping a bit clear to feed the birds and the dogs will still need a walk. Oh yes I have an appointment this morning at the Registry in Newport and I will need to get the Death Certificates to do anything.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. We knew this is where things would lead when two and a half years ago we agree that F&MiL show come to live with us. It has been very hard and six months ago we had to admit that 24hr care was beyond our capability. The Nursing homes has been great but going in to see them most days has still been a strain. Sunday will be our Ruby wedding aniv  but its not really time to celebrate just now. 40 years ago when we married in Birmingham there was 4inches of snow fell that days. So I really shouldn't be surprised at anything.

The best advice I can give for snow and ice is to drive as though your brakes aren't working and just use them as little as possible. RWD place a bag of sand or chippings over each rear wheel arch. FWD if on your own a similar bag in the passenger footwell can help on lighter vehicles. Keep safe.

Don

• Like 1

We are seeing snow this morning for the first time since we moved to Torquay but it's rapidly turning to sleet/rain so shouldn't be a problem for driving. The gritters (my iPhone insists I mean fritters!!) were out last night and I can hear the traffic moving freely.

Have a good day - take care if driving.

• Like 3

I noticed, from here anyway, that it is quite difficult getting a real time radar picture of what is going on in the skies over the UK (and Europe). Try wunderground.com go to WunderMap and then input your

local town name. You should get a radar map which you can zoom in or out. If you don't see the actual weather click on "Layers" and then "radar" and  "weatherstations".

At present Snow is knocking on the door of London.

My local Weather:

Mostly Sunny,  High: 0C. Low -3C

Sunrise: 7:18am. Sunset: 4:59pm.

Have a good one.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Went down to the village to get some bread, took half an hour for the (total of) 1 mile journey and that was in the car, walking is even more dangerous due to the very high risk of falling. Now back at home and on with some work. I'm getting fed up with being trapped in the house.

More snow expected later - oh joy.

Have a good day all - and stay safe.

• Like 2

I noticed, from here anyway, that it is quite difficult getting a real time radar picture of what is going on in the skies over the UK (and Europe). Try wunderground.com go to WunderMap and then input your

local town name. You should get a radar map which you can zoom in or out. If you don't see the actual weather click on "Layers" and then "radar" and  "weatherstations".

Pete - can you get http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=map&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1358457300&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.67

• Like 2

Madam Gruffalo and I are supposed to go to Aldeburgh for an anniversary tomorrow. Snow falling here in W Northants, visibility down to <1/2m, baked bread earlier and about to brew fresh coffee. Old loaf bits broken up to feed birds (not Debs' Rhyl ones). What reason to leave here???

Edited by Gruffalo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just back and sipping coffee after an hour in the cold. We have a nasty wind and it started snowing just before 10 (9GMT), although seems to have stopped again. Car says it's -3.5, windchill making it a bit less, no doubt. Have changed Varian's rug this morning, for one that has a neck cover, too. Managed to get my hay-soaking kit into the barn last night, so that meant the hay wasn't as frosted as it might be. There is a slight chance the farrier may call later today, but I'd leave it if I were him!

I've put a dog-bowl with warm water on the terrace. Our cats are all happily indoors, but neighbour's mog was looking for water that moved just now, as was a tiny bird. Just hope they don't meet at the bowl!

For the nth day - stay warm and safe, everyone!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Snow here in Southampton; I managed to find out the buses had stopped running before I would have left for work, so I'm at home. Just as well as school having opened changed its mind and sent son home. Immediate result was a bit of impromptu Lego railway modelling.post-4634-0-45303100-1358505152_thumb.jpg

Pete

• Like 10