The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As DD says, service does vary a lot.

Both my father and my mil have carers visiting them on a daily basis: and in both cases they pay for the service provided.

The quality and reliability of these two services are at opposite ends of the spectrum.(and Wales!)

If you need to be old and infirm, be so in S Wales.

I think I have matters in hand: Brother is a police officer; My sister is a nurse; my doctor lives around the corner, as does the gas engineer. My next door neighbour is a dentist; whilst the local builder is an old friend, as is the vet. I also have two friends who are model railway traders.

And finally: Literally................The chairman of our model railway club, is an Undertaker!

I think I've got all the angles covered.

Regards

Richard

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

another grey and gloomy day has dawned , no more snow yet but it does

look a bit threatening .

Intentions for the day , stay warm , do no more than required .

Take care whatever you are doing .

• RMweb Premium

That sounds very comprehensive, Richard!  You chose your neighbours carefully!!!

I have a distrust of computer lead health advice, as an ex-NHS manager.  There needs to be a practitioner of some kind who can assess your understanding of the situation IMHO, as in Stewart's situation, it can save an awful lot of time - and time can be of the essence, the 'golden hour'.  We have 'MEDS' here - Manx Emergerncy Doctor Service, you get to speak to a medic pretty quickly (usualy a GP), only had to use it once, but it worked.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, didn't sleep very well at all last night so I feel out of sorts today. No fresh snow at present but I assume some will come from the south again later on. I want to cut some wood today but I don't see how as yet.

Surely you have a kitchen Mick - just the right place to swing an axe (as long as your name isn't Borden and you don't have a daughter called Elizabeth).

• RMweb Premium

I am going shopping now not chopping...... The little axe for firewood was called a chopper in our house too, it lived in the coal shed until we moved into a house with cellars. You don't sound keen on going out dear she said...... 

• Like 2

I am a bit late catching up on this but glad to hear Stewart is OK now. Advising patients to go to A & E may be tricky in the future because there are plans to close that department at Lancaster. Patients will have to go to either Preston or Kendal. Remind me again, what does the last initial stand for in NHS?

Stay healthy everyone.

• Like 2

Thank you Gordon. My 'reply' tool bar is once again operative!

AndyB, Thanks, the Roast beef lunch was very good. I must speak to the home management about the size of plates.

I don't think I look particularly hungry, but the helpings I am served fill the plate to overflowing so it's difficult to start cutting without spilling over the side!

Talking of choppers/axes;

When I was Scouting I found a very cooperative farmer who allowed me to bring the scouts to practice axemanship in his wooded areas. We were allowed to chop trees, cut staves and pioneering poles in exchange for clearing specified areas of bush.

I remember one occasion where many scouts (about 20) were each felling a tree. or cutting staves One miscalculated where the felled tree would fall. The leafy top fell entirely engulfing a scout busy chopping away at the trunk of another tree.. He was surprised but entirely unhurt.  One of many adventures 'enjoyed' by my scouts in the 1970's/80's. One whose family emigrated to Canada wrote and told me the Troop he joined in Canada were horrified by the stories he told of his Scouting adventures here..

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It gets far better when you look at the wind direction ;)  We've had this snow for most of the day so far and it's vanishing as fast as it's landing in many places in the garden despite the low temperature.  It doesn't give the impression of being likely to get any worse - so far.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Thanks for all the supportive messages - I am back to normal now, and I think that if it happens again - IT WON'T - then I'll use the regime that I did on Friday, and will only call for help if the self-help doesn't work - it was self-help advice that I wanted and finally got about 100 minutes after the incident.  My other experience of NHS direct was when I broke my hip, called 999 for an ambulance (I was being driven slowly back to Lancashire) and the 999 operator said that as I was "stable" then I shouldn't need an ambulance, as I was in a car, and could carry on to A&E.  By the time NHS direct called back, I was about five minutes from A&E and I asked about pain killers as had some Codeine with me - they said it was OK to take some, but I decided not to do so, and it was lucky that I didn't, as had I taken an opiate at that stage, I would not have been able to have any morphine when I was assessed.

Anyway, dog is due for walkies so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

Whoa. Just looked outside the door and it looks like we're having severe icing on the street and pavement. I don't think there's an easy way of tackling this, so I'd better stay indoors tonight!

On my way to the Friend`s meeting house this morning, I witnessed a severe fall by a very-old chap (on a slickly-iced pavement), it happened so terrifyingly quickly; one minute he was walking, the next he was on his back.........I helped him to his feet and he was adamant he didn`t need medical help......but, I did insist upon giving him a lift to his home.

.....I`ve got his `phone number, so will give him a call later to make sure he`s alright.

Please be careful, all! :friends:

• Like 16

On my way to the Friend`s meeting house this morning, I witnessed a severe fall by a very-old chap (on a slickly-iced pavement), it happened so terrifyingly quickly; one minute he was walking, the next he was on his back.........I helped him to his feet and he was adamant he didn`t need medical help......but, I did insist upon giving him a lift to his home.

.....I`ve got his `phone number, so will give him a call later to make sure he`s alright.

A modern "Good Samaritan".

• Like 9

Well done, Debs. 

Something similar happened to me when I was walking back from school during last year's cold snap.

A lady was hurrying across the road, slipped and slammed her head on the tarmac. We got her children in to school and I took her to the Docs for a check up and waited with her till her husband arrived. You can't be too careful if you've whacked your head. 

School is open tomorrow, but with a late start arranged. Hoping to get a few hours of work in before the children are back with me.

Really not sure about driving to the Highlands next weekend. It's a 450 mile drive in one day from the MiL's where we'll overnight. Not sure how the roads are up in Scotland. 

More baseboard carpentry today. Starting to feel as if I'm making sustained progress!

Stay warm everyone. 

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Lunch was interesting. The food was ok - lamb marinated for two days in home-made yoghurt - but arrived about 2 hours late, although but we had been given a couple of glasses of mulled wine, and popadoms, to stave off the pangs. A not-very-smart farmhouse (w plenty of cobwebs) in 17 acres, with excellent views here and there. In the large kitchen were 3 kids under 10, 3 dogs and 4 cats. Outside were hens, ducks, geese, goats, pigs and sheep. And a snowman!

• Like 8

Lunch was interesting. The food was ok - lamb marinated for two days in home-made yoghurt - but arrived about 2 hours late, although but we had been given a couple of glasses of mulled wine, and popadoms, to stave off the pangs. A not-very-smart farmhouse (w plenty of cobwebs) in 17 acres, with excellent views here and there. In the large kitchen were 3 kids under 10, 3 dogs and 4 cats. Outside were hens, ducks, geese, goats, pigs and sheep. And a snowman!

This sounds like the descriptive opening paragraph of a rural story!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It has snowed all day but quite gently and about 2 inches (or 5cm for our N. American readers) has settled. It was easy to shift and a nice opportunity to chat with people. I was impressed that my neighbour's eight year old was helping with the snow. My Matthew always seemed to have some homework to do when I suggested helping. Perhaps his time in Canada will make him keener on snow clearing!

Lamb sitting in yoghurt sounds like the first stage for Rogan Josh. I don't know any other yoghurt and lamb recipes though I suspect many cultures have one. Aditi said Rogan Josh probably would have used goat originally but usually uses lamb in the UK. She has had goat curry in East Ham at a Caribbean restaurant but I don't think I have.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This sounds like the descriptive opening paragraph of a rural story!

You are hereby authorised to take my deathless prose and add the rest of the best-selling volume you clearly think this introduces. I'll settle for 10% of any profits you make!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another well done Debs from here.

Really not sure about driving to the Highlands next weekend. It's a 450 mile drive in one day from the MiL's where we'll overnight. Not sure how the roads are up in Scotland. 

Looking at the webcams today the ski centre at Glenshee was in full flow and the road from Spittal to Breamar was open.  If any road is going to be closed it is that one.  Given the forecast for the week ahead it might be best to check on a day to day basis.