The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

They would have to go a long way to affect me. A pension based on 25/80 of my last salary in 2000 whilst very welcome and appreciated only just about gets me into basic tax. I still think my status is "kept man".

Is it not index-linked Tony? I was quite surprised to find out by how much my Lloyd's Register pension has increased since I was given a quote about 7 years ago - it'll be worth nearly 8 quid a week after tax :O   

And talking of pensions I today received a letter from the DWP confirming my pension amount etc - and advising that my benefit wil be paid by direct payment etc; caused me to blow my top when I read it - I am not claiming or being paid a 'benefit'!   I am to receive a pension for which I have paid (fairly handsomely at times as a percentage of my income) over my entire working life starting in 1963 (albeit only holiday jobs until 1966); it really is about time the halfwits in the uncivil service and polishing their backsides in Parliament learnt the difference between freebies and savings, grr.

And on a much happier note - lovely pic Nidge, shame that someone appears to have spilt Mekpak on that coach roof ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Is it not index-linked Tony? I was quite surprised to find out by how much my Lloyd's Register pension has increased since I was given a quote about 7 years ago - it'll be worth nearly 8 quid a week after tax :O   

It is index linked. I wouldn't be bothering the tax man at all without the indexed increase! I've got some AVCs (managed by Prudential) but I suspect as I wasn't in that scheme for long it might not be much. Aditi's pension is much healthier as she has already got 39 years service and has a higher salary than I achieved.

As for calling pension "benefit", this seems to fit in with a strategy started a few years ago to give any money from the government a demeaning name. I know who started it years ago when he was "up and coming" in his party. He is on the television a lot quite now with an old guide book!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

A bootiful blue sky. but windy. (26kph) and coincidentally. max temp forecast to also be 26C.

Coffee and toast calling before Church.

I hope it's better where you are.

Any modelling in prospect?

Sunrise 6:03, set 7:54

Interesting that the weather bureau uses a 12 hour clock.

I wonder whether Matthew will pick up any Canadian accent!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather damp here and it is just light enough to see the effect of the breeze on the trees.

Don. Until yesterday I hadn't noticed any change in Matthew's accent though I had noticed some some use of English that was more associated with North America than UK. However yesterday I said I could detect some changes in accent as well. Living in Leicester for two years had altered his Essex accent slightly anyway.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

It's dark this morning, probably due to the fact that I got up extra early, even before the central heating fired up!

The wind is gusting at present, when it gets up to speed it is howling around the house. and it is a chill wind that blows off the Wealdmoors.

I shot myself in the foot yesterday!

Discussing the disposal of my daughter's pine bedroom furniture I suggested that her chest of drawers and her bedside locker would make nice storage for the Grumpenfuhrer's craft stuff. this could be put in our 4th bedroom, aka compressed storage facility, which would get it out from the loft where most of it currently resides.

'What a good idea, and the dressing table could be used to replace the old computer table!'

'But I thought I could have that as a modelling station in the workshop to replace the old exam desk I have' I whined.

'Don't be silly, it would be nice to have everything matching in the 'office' for once.'

Grumpenfuhrer 1, HH 0.

'Why don't you do it now?'

Grumpenfuhrer 2, unHH 0.

Still, I did manage to put my book collection into some semblance of order.

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Outside temperature has risen to just below freezing, so I'm keeping an eye on whether the predicted freezing rain will materialise. Slept in a bit longer this morning, too, as I felt like I got too little shut-eye for the past few days.

Wish you all a nice Sunday, and be safe, wherever you need to go today...

Good morning all,  not much to report from here, though I did sketch out a couple of potential modelling projects....but got too much other (work) stuff on at the mo. 

Still suns up, but there's still a lot of dust in the atmosphere.  Temperature will be into the mid 30's by the afternoon..

What ever your up to try and enjoy something today,

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

never has rain been so good!

5" of snow washed away in hours by a deluge

Off to do more indoor cricket - as its seniors it should be interesting.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Gusty wind and rain here, but decently mild, at least, and liable to dry up later, apparently. Week looks good for brighter and nicer weather than of late.

Hope to get arse in gear on a number of items today.

Have a good day of rest, everyone!

• Like 1

Heavy overnight rain in west Northamptonshire has taken out almost all the snow but the sheep have headed for higher fields. Wind from SW and 2/10ths whispy cloud. Have to visit a good friend at the end of his days later, not something I am looking forward to. Can't see any modeling today.

• RMweb Gold

I can now! Since getting up I have replaced a side lamp bulb on the Clio (unlike some cars, a trivial task ) and even given the car a quick wash as Aditi commented her clothes were getting dirty getting in and out of the car.

Tony

• Like 2

Good morning from somewhere on the A30!

We're en route for Gatwick for flight to Lisbon. Lovely sunny morn and road quiet so far. A few floods on the B3192 but not major.

Should be able to post on here as hotel has Wifi in the public rooms. Have a good day and I hope the sun is shining on you too!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all a wild and wet night has given way to a fine morning lets hope it will last.

On Pensions, the problem is that the government has always used the money raised to pay todays pensions hence there is none in the pot for the future. Reaching 65 next year I will miss out on the additional age allowances but be too early for the new pensions they have announced. I paid in extra contributions to ensure I would get a full pension then they reduced the number of years needed. My work pensions now goes up with CPI not RPI. There is little fairness in pensions.

Lovely picture of the King. I lived in Reading during the fifties and sixties and saw a lot of kings often at speed through the station. The Bristolian often featured a king. So it was a great pleasure to drive 6024 up and down at Tysley. I have a short video clip nothing exciting except I know it is me driving.

Have a good day all.

Don

• Like 7

Good morning from somewhere on the A30!

We're en route for Gatwick for flight to Lisbon. Lovely sunny morn and road quiet so far. A few floods on the B3192 but not major.

Should be able to post on here as hotel has Wifi in the public rooms. Have a good day and I hope the sun is shining on you too!

Where are you going? I used to frequent Vale do Lobo in the '70's.

Have a relaxing time.

Best, Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a dry (at last) and partially sunny one here on Fraggle Rock, but 55mph winds, increasing to 65 later - we may need an anchor otherwise we'll be several miles closer to Scotland by tonight.  Weather is all over the place, friends came around last night at 7, it was 4c and pouring, when they left at 10.30 temperature had risen to 10c, still pouring, and now it's sunny and dry but only 5c and a howling gale. 

Pensions are a sore point here, I transferred my NHS (UK) pension into the IoM Civil Service scheme as it was advantageous to do so, but now the terms have been altered and I'm worse off to the tune of £30,000 or so.  That was the lump sum that would have paid my mortgage off upon retirement.....as house prices here are so high compared to the norh-east from whence we came we had to take out a substantial morgage.  I'll have to work way past my retirement age now.  It's Mrs NHN's 49th Birthday today and we were rueing the fact our state pensions are going away from us quicker than we are aging!  My Merchant Navy pension isn't worth much as I was only in the scheme for 3 years, as the 4 years as a cadet were non-pensionable,  sigh.

Off to think of brighter things. 

Edit for bad tempered spelling errors!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright sunshine and a gentle breeze here at present - so I expect it won't last.  A visit to the garden centre yesterday afternoon resulted in purchase of various veg seeds plus some seed spuds - Mrs Stationmaster is clearly seeing a more welcoming spring and summer this year plus she is already beginning to mentally compose my garden task list, uh oh.

And yes Don - I think all the employment pension concerns used the Govt change as an excuse to change to a different inflation rate - the Railway scheme carefully explained why they were going to follow that course and I suspect Lloyd's Register might have done the same although my pension from them is so small anything less than a banana republic rate of inflation won't have much effect on it.  And of course anyone in a position similar to me could suffer a further whammy if the state pension rises at a higher inflation rate than the work pension as that will potentially increase the tax take on the pension you probably paid a lot of money for.  Alas with ever fewer people in proper jobs and an increasing number of itinerants and hangers on to feed and house the Govt - of whatever colour - is going to more & more see savers and private pensions as a money pot ready to rob; must sew the mattress up a bit tighter!

And on that 'bright' note - have a good day one & all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Gusty wind and rain here, but decently mild, at least, and liable to dry up later, apparently. Week looks good for brighter and nicer weather than of late.

Hope to get arse in gear on a number of items today.

Ian,

And what sort of gear would this arse of yours be got into?

Trousers one hopes: We'll leave whether it will be the leather, spandex, lycra or demin pair entirely up to you!

Regards

Richard

• Like 4

Where are you going? I used to frequent Vale do Lobo in the '70's.

Have a relaxing time.

Best, Pete

Thanks, Pete!

Spending four days in Lisbon itself. Had helpful suggestions from another RM member (Bushman) so plenty to do! Weather looks promising there too.

Sun still shining in my county of birth - Wiltshire - on A303 near Stonehenge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, after a night of rain and howling winds the snow is still lying out on the decking. Most of the rest of the garden you can see the ground with clumps of snow on it.It is an amazing contrast with yesterday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And what sort of gear would this arse of yours be got into?

Trousers one hopes: We'll leave whether it will be the leather, spandex, lycra or demin pair entirely up to you!

Trousers they certainly are! Craghoppers Solardry lined - great for being out and about, generously cut so comfy indoors too. Not very stylish, but standard practical Winter wear - I seem to have about 6 pairs, some ladies' cut, of course......

• Like 3

Morning all. 8/8 oktas but the rain seems to be easing up a little. The wind is pretty gusty though.

Jamie and I went up to Campsie Glen yesterday afternoon to build a snowman, then off to the swimming and soft play.

I'm watching Sideshow Bob at the moment, come on Tim! I really don't like the squeaky shoes/floor at the Australian Open.

I'm paying into a civil service pension and have been since June 2001 (my year before that working for Boots didn't have me putting any money in a pension pot other than state pension). I'm technically due to retire at 60 but who knows whether that'll happen in 24 years - there's an awful long time to go before then and who knows what'll happen with both state pension and civil service pension in that time.