The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Dead Duck

A woman brought a very limp duck to the veterinarian's office. As she lay her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, your pet duck Cuddles has passed away."

The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. The duck is dead," he replied.

"How can you be so sure," she protested. "I mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room, and returned a few moments later with a black Labrador Retriever.

As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the lab and led it out of the exam room. He returned a few moments later with a cat.

The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed delicately at the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."

Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. She screamed, "$150.00!" "$150 just to tell me my duck's dead!"

The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd have taken my word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the lab report and the cat scan, it's now $150.00."

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'd also like to add that there is nothing wrong about opting for a shift to a different career track, as even with having collected sufficient information beforehand, you can still end up acquiring a different perspective on a choice initially made. I myself could have opted for a teacher training curriculum in the first place, but at the time, I couldn't quite see myself in this job. So far, I but have not regretted my decision to acquire a teaching degree on top of my M.A. - demanding as teaching can be, as I keep finding out in my side job. Which, tellingly, does give me a lot more in the way of insight than most uni courses have done, but that's a different story.

I agree - I am Mr Career Track Change!

Merchant Navy Engineer Officer, redundancy, Mechanical Fitter, Personnel Clerk, Nurse Bank Senior Clerk, HR Adviser, Outpatients Department Manager, moved to IoM, Sub-postmaster, HR Adviser again, Youth Justice Team Office Manager.  I'm 54 in three weeks!  Time yet for a new job, although I really enjoy my current post.

Life's twists and turns, eh!  None of it planned, bar the MN and the move to the IoM.  Oh, and I found time to get married almost 29 years ago too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm off to bed now folks. Got to be up at the quack of dawn! 

Very tired I've been trying to learn how to get down off a horse all day, then some wise ass tells me I've wasted my time. Down comes from DUCKS!  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sitting in the surgery the other day waiting to see the local quack I was surprised to see a duck waddle in.

"Quick, Quick, Quick, quick" said the duck loudly.

The receptionist chased him out shouting "How many times have I told you. You can't see the doc for hicups"! 

• Like 1

As predicted the phone has been ringing off the hook with post-show sales folk wanting to "touch base", "see where you are with the project"....

I have to say that when it comes to sales skills the old adage - "You're born with 2 ears and one gob, use them in those proportions." is worth bearing in mind. 

Just makes it easier to put the phone down if you forget that. 

Andy

• Like 2

I went to 'take-on bunkers' in our pup-mobile this morning, and noticed unusually large queues at the forecourt pumps; rather odd (I thought) as the fuel-oil price at the pumps seems to have been several pence higher of late......

Although Collie-Towers is nowhere near Grangemouth, I wonder if this story has promoted a silly-bout of panicbuyingness? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Thought for the afternoon: Having seen a car with licence plates from Darmstadt with "MN" as the second group of letters, I did wonder whether the owner would be well-received if they were vacationing in Britain...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

grey and overcast this pm. trip to Barrow and back completed including a stop for a bacon and egg butty and a cup of coffee at the Green Hut. Sun spotted near Kirkby Lonsdale - lots of ducks by the Green Hut  in Kirby. No response from them to the usual plum sauce! or orange sauce! from her indoors

Time for more cleaning of wheels.....

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

A successful mission with #2 to feed the ducks and spot a train (Cheltenham) and to round off, a  bar of Cadburys shared on the way home.....

Andy

post-4299-0-75732200-1361379294.jpg 

I'm thinking the people who live in the cottage next to the track must be quite tolerant of passers by aiming a camera across their garden! :)

post-4299-0-70996200-1361379315.jpg

post-4299-0-46505100-1361379438.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi, customs etc negotiated with ease and quickness at Miami yesterday,very pleasant weather at 79f today here on the west coast of florida.

Nice to have breakfast outside in the sun this morning.

Enjoy whatever is left of your day

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I am visiting Deb's hospital-friend this afternoon in Mamers. I hope I can convey all the detail she wants to hear.

Well my visit was ok - up to a point. Having arrived at 2, & had a very sweet King Charles spaniel on my lap almost all afternoon, I felt I could probably slide out about 4 - whereupon Brigitte expressed surprise that I wasn't staying for dinner! Arrrggghhh!! I had to gently explain that I didn't really want to be out all evening - and we've agreed I'll go back for lunch some time when hubby is off work. How could I explain that I'd got a headache after 2 hours talking French - and really, all we've got in common is my late wife?

Anyway, made my escape and dropped into Intermarche (supermarket) for a few bits. Got to the till, whereupon Agnes pointed out I had 84 euros on my loyalty card - but she could only credit them if the cardholder were present, the cardholder being Deborah Dudley. At this point French bureaucracy played a blinder, because within 10 minutes I had a new card, in my name, and with all the value transferred. I cannot fault that for customer service, in an unusual situation

• Like 17

Morning.

Still fairly dark here in the Lone Star state. Warm with rain and accompanying thunder possible today. If the weather isn't too awful Matthew would like to go to Austin.

Tony

If you went to Austin today, Tony, you'll probably have driven along a road named after a railroad. I10 west from Houston is called the Katy Freeway since it is the route from Houston to the town of that name. The town is named after the railroad on which it developed - the Missouri, Kansas, Texas (MKT), known as the Katy for short. When I first drove that road, in 1990, the Katy tracks paralleled it on the north side. The UP closed that line, and the freeway was extended, using parts of the line of the tracks. (I think you can still see low railroad embankments west of Katy on I10).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

I have returned, yet another day out but in a different direction this time as after my visit to Dracula's daughter I set off for the big city in order to retrieve my Birth Certificate from an office in Fenchurch Street (where it was needed in order to prove my age before they start paying me a pension).  Strange to be in London as it's a place I normally do my best to avoid except to catch trains when there is no way round it and even stranger to be in the City and take a walk down Leadenhall St and Cornhill to the Bank.  Anyway it made a change; it was not at all warm; the City is like another world; the UndergrounD was the same as ever with that peculiar thing called 'a good service' running on all lines (somebody probably believes it, I think the service on the Circle Line is absolutely atrocious and can remember quite clearly back to the days when it really was 'good')

And lots to see out of the train window enroute including a pile of very soggy looking London Clay in Paddington New Yard - sorry what used to be Paddington New Yard plus a train of it loading and no doubt ready to make North Kent or Dagenham or wherever it is down river 3 inches wider by teatime.

Looks like most have enjoyed a fairly good day, I'm meanwhile wondering what tomorrow will bring but I've more than an inkling it will be a multi-supermarket day taking in both Waitrose and Tesco.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No that was today DD with Mushrooms and beans.

After a beautiful afternoon it has gone really cold the wind tonight was bitter.

Ian it must be hard for you to deal with the needs of others when the real loss is your own. I find it difficult with Marion's Aunt since FiL died.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I think I would have preferred the Katy Freeway on a train rather than on a dark night with huge amounts of spray. I love instructions from the sat nav that tell you to enter a road, cross 8 lanes of traffic in 0.4 miles to take the left ramp. I think one problem is that the voice on the sat nav sounds like a lady with a terrible nasal problem. This morning whatever Matthew said at one point was interpreted by the sat nav as a voice command. 

I'm really tired after the expedition today (the museum in Austin was rather good though).

Tony

• Like 4

Good morning all.

Sky is clear, but still a blue-grey colour as the sun has not yet peeked above the horizon. It's late this morning. Well later than yesterday, or I am earlier!

No big news. Yvonne's phone was installed yesterday. Maybe she can phone all her friends. :telephone:

• Like 2

Morning all,   Looks like Don might be getting some respite?     Not much else to report from here. For some reason I am just very tired......oh well.

Attached is another photo from GF in Daytona beach,,,

Have a good day every one, 

Trev

post-4282-0-31140200-1361424230.jpg

• Like 9