RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

First off, Richard - what's the problem with your Callsign number?  For those who don't know, Callsign is a virtual second number operating on the same line, but with a different ring tone.  It is quite awkward to manage, as the original number selected is randomly picked by the number allocation system from a spare range in the serving exchange, and if the number EVER becomes spare again for any reason, it can be very difficult to get Openreach to reassign the same number to the service the next time.  One point that is not appreciated is that BT no longer owns or controls the number ranges, or their allocation to lines and associated services - all that falls into the realms of Openreach, and everything disappears behind a veil of "equivalence" regulations and requirments which are designed to ensure that ALL telephone companies receive the same treatment from Openreach, and that none can have preferential treatment, or offer anything that is not openly available to the whole selection of companies. 

Trying to snow here on and off, and I've got to get on now, as the back gate's stay has fallen off, and it needs a bit of fettling, so that the back of the house remains Lily proof.

I'll try to get back on tomorrow, so meantime

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Very much so, Mike.

There were some very good layouts and I enjoyed them all although I particularly liked Loch Rannoch and Banff, an excellent 2mm FS layout. I managed to have a chat with Dave (MaxStafford) who was on the Waverley Route stand and completed all of my shoppling list apart from some decals I needed.

I even found time to visit Royal Mile Whiskies on the way back and increase my collection. An FEB, evening meal and copious coffee and biscuits provided courtesy of East Coast and ScotRail were the icing on the cake.

Sounds good.  I had a couple of things on my shopping list but I'm staying in Durham tonight and for the Scotland v Ireland game tomorrow (weather permitting).  Would have liked to get a discounted Model Rail Sentinel.  Will look up Banff.  I know Rannoch, I've met its creator a couple of times and it's on here too.  I will meet Dave at some point!

Next time you're in Edinburgh, there's a restaurant and whisky shop attached just on the Mound, called the Whiski Rooms - really good range of whiskies including some rare and unusual ones.  What did you pick up at RMW (Royal Mile Whiskies, not RMWeb...!)?  I've picked up a couple of nice Bruichladdich ones recently.

• Like 1

Again today, I'm reminded of how caring folk on here are towards others. Thank you for all the kind messages regarding my eye which seems to be calming down so it looks as if I won't need professional help. Eye drops have soothed and I'm much less aware of the discomfort now.

Hope to go to Teignmouth this evening to see a performance of a Shaw play: "Mrs. Warren's Profession".

A review will follow on the morrow!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - had lunch today with friends, the lady of the house is almost blind, and it really reminds you.  we were trying to arrange social outings that she can cope with and join in, and it is amazingly hard when she can see so little.  Humbling really, as she manages so well and doesn't complain of her lot.

• Like 1

'Evenin' all' ;)

Hope the eye clears up sharpish Ash, good eyesight is probably something we all take for granted at some point in life, but you can never be too careful ;-)

Managed to sell my beloved Rover P6 today after much wrangling with timewasting individuals who either a) don't turn up after arranging a time to come and view, b) do a deal with cash on delivery but forget to tell their wives they're bought another car and back out at the very last minute, c) expect me to deliver the car to Ireland for half of my asking price, or d) think all cars over twenty years old are only worth £500! Sold to a very nice lady in Coleshill who re-affirmed my faith in human nature afterall!

Time to start looking at Rover P5B Coupes again.... :wub:

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

First off, Richard - what's the problem with your Callsign number? 

Stewart,

It's very simple.

They (BT) have promised this number since last Monday, but still haven't got around to either sorting out the technical side of things or bothered to allocated the number yet. So much for the 48 hour delivery time!

Assurances that it would be installed by Wednesday, and then yesterday, have fallen flat

Therefore, all the advertizing material; new phone listings; changes to existing advertising; advising existing clients of the new number, plus designing/redesigning stationery, plus the requisite website changes cannot go ahead until the new number has been allocated.

We just need the number so we can move things forward, but BT won't allocate until the callsign line is set up.

And then you wonder why small businesses are struggling to survive...............?

It is very frustrating.

Having said that, the BT staff I have spoken to have been very polite and helpful and I also discovered the reference number you get from sales is completely different to the ones used bythe techies, which initially led to some confusion.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Headache beginning on this end, so I have relocated to the sofa and might head to bed early, as a matter of fact...

Nidge, For some reason I have a hankering for a Triumph TR5A (...)

I seem to remember my uncle had one of these! There's a photo of him in the car somewhere in our albums, but I'd have to look.

If I were to go for a classic car, I think it would be a W126 series Mercedes S-class. I don't much like the styling on most current Mercs, BMWs or Audis, though – too aggressive for my taste.

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning/Afternoon etc etc, went to play golf American style!

By that I mean hit the ball and drive in a buggy to where it landed for the next shot no walking lol!

Given that I approach the hole in a zig zag pattern rather than hitting the ball straight a buggy saves a lot of leg work!

Well that's my annual game over, see its not pleasant weather at home (uk) which makes the sun here more appreciated.

Take care all

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am back at the hotel now. I went to the Houston Fine Art Museum this morning and had a wander round the Zoo this afternoon. I didn't have my floppy hat and I neglected to take the sun block so I tried where possible to go the shady route round. 

Matthew's flight from Edmonton to Calgary should be taking off soon. It was 20 something C here, 0C in Edmonton some he should feel warm in Calgary's 4C.

Tony

At my junior school there were 4 houses: Langley, Pudsey, Flambard & Skirlaw - all named after Bishops of Durham.

At my senior school there were: School House, Poole House, The Caffinites, Pimlico, Langley and Ferens House (various inspirations for the names).

I managed to be in Langley throughout my school career.

Have caught up on any posts I missed yesterday.

Now ready for early breakfast before Mass.

Yesterday's Open Day was a success and in no way affected me although many residents were involved.

Tea and scones in one of the courtyard gardens was a popular venue. and made a good profit,( free to residents)

They ran put of scones at the end and were baking on the run..

Yvonne has found other friends :imsohappy:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Calm outside and fairly chilly still, though I understand temperatures are expected to rise to about 7°C by the middle of the week. I think reading up on some stuff will be on the list for today.

Good morning all,   

Glad for Don that his unwelcome freind has moved on.  

Now been nearly 24hours without power....theres an underground cable fault somewhere in the village and they cant find it!  When the temps in the high 20's you tend to need a/c (and lights)  .But saying that theres a nice breeze and I'm sat on the balcony...

Well try and enjoy your day!  

Trev

It was snowing all day yesterday.

However, didn't produce a speck of 'laying' snow.

A light dusting this morning.

Don't know what went wrong with the French yesterday.

Enjoyed the game though.

Hope eyes and other problems are improved today.

• Like 2

Good morning, all!

Still cold and dreary here.

The play ("Mrs. Warren's Profession") was well acted, if a little heavy going at times.

What sticks in my mind most is that we nearly collided with a van on the way home. It's a winding coast road between Shaldon and home and O/H persists in driving with one hand, despite my frequent "advice" as to the potential risk involved. And he'd had a couple of glasses of wine.

I'm beginning to think 'twould be better if I always drove in the evenings.

Stay warm and safe!!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 2