The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is much milder here today, mainly due to less wind I suspect.

UPS inform me that adverse weather conditions in Barking may delay the delivery of a package today. The Royal Mail seem to be coping with the present couple of mm of snow.

Tony

Tony,

During the "Sandy" debacle the only organization that never skipped a beat and delivered every day (including during the hurricane itself) was the good old USPS!

I remember standing at the window watching the trees being bent sideways and things flying down the street when plodding up our drive came Alex our Mailman complete in Pith Helmet....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear your sad news, Dom. 

Phones - where we live the telephone numbers are still short, often leaving people asking what the last digit is. We just tell them that phones didn't really catch on in the village. Interestingly when I put a job in on "Rated People" yesterday their webform wouldn't accept my telephone number as it was shorter than their form expected. Ended up having to give my mobile number.

One of the things that always gets me confused is phoning MoD sites. You tend to go through to a central military switchboard, they read out the direct dial number to you "for future reference" and then put you through. Thing is the number they give you has no bearing on traditional numbers STD+number and if you phone it..... you end up going back to the operator! I guess that's where they trained-up people for Bletchley Park.

Rough night here - like a number of other ERers it seems - worrying about a bit of model making I'm doing for work. Can't get it to work and a deadline is approaching. Note to self - never, ever, ever, think: "I enjoy model railways. Maybe I should start a business making them for a living." An excellent way to ruin a hobby, I suggest. The simple bit of moulding I'm doing is tough enough, taking 3 times longer than anticipated and looks hopeless.

Have a nice day everyone and sympathies again to Dom and your family.

Andy   

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Very sorry you've had a shock Dom. I bet MiL would have wanted you to succeed, so put yourself first for once here, I think. Exams secure your future.

More snow during yesterday, but none since about nightfall. We now have a thin covering - but some lovely blue sky and sunshine, and very still.

Cats are having nothing to do with snow, so all a bit visible, including Chevron purring on my lap as I try to type!

Hope your day goes well, everyone - and stay warm!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning from our last day in the People's Republic of Yorkshire.

Sorry to hear your news Dominik, please accept our sincere condolences.

A touch warmer this morning, the snow has melted!  Off to the coast today, it's been 15 years since we went to Whitby.  Fish n chips for lunch I suspect.

Here's a discussion point I was just reading the "Bachmann 2013/14" thread and was concerned about the number of people claiming "loss of sleep" (in a general sense) over worrying about various aspects of our hobby (What to order/Will they be delayed etc., etc).

Surely we do this to relax? I'd take up knitting if I got to that stage....life's too short as it is.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Here's a discussion point I was just reading the "Bachmann 2013/14" thread and was concerned about the number of people claiming "loss of sleep" (in a general sense) over worrying about various aspects of our hobby (What to order/Will they be delayed etc., etc).

Surely we do this to relax? I'd take up knitting if I got to that stage....life's too short as it is.

Best, Pete.

Totally Agree!

Sorry to hear your news Dom

Up and about, shopping beckons this morning and then a couple of hours in the shed running trains.

Take care all.

I think the rate at which new entries appear on the Bachmann / Hornby thread suggests a lot of people may need a second hobby to fill up their time. 

Today I hope to not use my modelling scissors to perform surgery on my fingers. 

Come to think of it - if I can finish this bit of work-related model making I might be able to do a bit of model railway stuff. Bonus! 

Early morning baking done - flapjacks seem quite popular with the family. first quote for new fence  ~ £3k incl VAT.  Garden twine that I used to tie up the existing fence survived 24 hours so far. 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about your news Dom.

Phones - we had ours installed in the mid 1970s, no party line for us, it was wall mounted (my school friends were jealous because most of them didn't have a phone, and those that did had table top ones). I used to drive my mum mad by spending hours on it - to Flyingsignalman ! - often after I'd already spent most of the day with him in the 'box too.

My mum and dad put a phone lock on the dialer - but of course the number could be tapped out ...

I don't envy the Romans on days like these

Nevate!

The ditch heading away from the pond is frozen solid !

post-6662-0-53278300-1363164760.jpg

Looking towards Heveningham, the Roman road was to the left and continued across the fields towards the top left.

post-6662-0-68102400-1363165055.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, folks. I guess it would be best indeed if I went forward with the remaining exams rather than setting me back by more than six months. Elise said she was sure nobody would mind if I did.

I wonder what I might do to limit the pressure until I'm through with the Friday exam, though.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've been accused of being a great nit in the past - and worse! I often wonder how much exaggeration goes into this stuff. One chap got quite shirty with me at Xmas 2011. He had posted that his Xmas Day was now ruined because Hornby were deferring their annual announcement, traditionally made on that day. I suggested that the words "Get a life" came to mind and he was not amused! At the other end of the telescope, Pete, you and I have had careers in jobs we actually quite enjoyed, at least some of the time. Many people never have that luxury, so their need for an outlet may be greater.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Phones, you were lucky.

We 'ad tin cans and piece of string.

To us a party line meant a party pack of tennants lager all sharing the same string.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Phones, you were lucky.

We 'ad tin cans and piece of string.

To us a party line meant a party pack of tennants lager all sharing the same string.

A conference call used a can from Brew Ten

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some very sound words there from Pete and Ian on this great hobby of ours (almost seems like an occasional hobby in my case but I don't even worry about that nowadays) and it's certainly not a matter of life & death or worse. As I occasionally say I've been waiting 40 years for a decent r-t-r model of so & so and another couple of months is not going to disturb my life one jot.

And to more important things - Dom sorry to hear about your sad loss but at least for you MIL it was quick and that is, I think, better than facing weeks of deterioration and uncertainty; a terrible shock for those left behind of course.

Nice & sunny here today but once various domestic tasks are complete we'll be heading down to Greenham for me to look at a few lots in tomorrow's auction (yes DD, it's tomorrow!) and herself no doubt trying to nose out a few things which are booked in an upcoming auction if young Mr Plant isn't keeping them too well hidden.  And a sunny day promised for the auction, when I shall be spending most of it indoors, but heavy rain promised for Friday when I want to spend some of t out in the wilderness garden.  But no localish exhibitions this weekend so I might out there again then?

Havea  good day one & all.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear your bad news, Dom.

Ian is right, soldier on and do your best.

"£3k incl VAT."

I'd want searchlight towers and guard dogs for that.

I'm guessing that prices of all sorts of things in this neck of the woods are pricey. You're probably looking at around £900-1100 of materials, and two blokes for a week. Factor in the overhead / profit margin for the firm employing them and it's not overly surprising.   

• RMweb Gold

We only replaced about 40 ft of fencing but it did only turn out to be the material cost. The neighbour whose garden was on the other side of the fence told me to wait until her husband got home from work and he would help. The silly people who live on the other side of his garden don't like him as he "has a van".

"(yes DD, it's tomorrow!)"

I've started a topic so that folks can follow it if they're interested, Mike.

Even a small bid would be welcomed - it gets the ball rolling!

Thanks once again for your work on these.