RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry, sunny but still a strong wind making it cold! No snow on the ground here, at this moment in time I wish I was back in Florida! At least its to cold for the grass to be growing!!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Seems to have taken me a bit longer than some days to get to ERs. High cloud, a bit of sun here and there, enough blue sky to patch a sailor's trousers, bit of a breeze, about 6 degrees now, maybe a couple more later.

France doesn't seem to recognise Good Friday, so this week is normal here.

Hope yours is easy!

Just took a look at the aerial view on Google maps of the are around Niagra falls. Had no idea it was that built up, but then it's not a place I've ever thought of going to really.

Did the usual thing in zooming out on the map and thought, hey, not so far from New York. Oh, 400 miles.  

Got to go to two drumming concerts at school this afternoon. These are follow on sessions from last term's recorder concert. A piece of Stilton in each ear should do the trick! 

Meantime I've bought some foam board and mounting card to make a start on the townscape on my layout.

Catch up later. Andy 

• RMweb Gold

Just took a look at the aerial view on Google maps of the are around Niagra falls. Had no idea it was that built up, but then it's not a place I've ever thought of going to really.

Did the usual thing in zooming out on the map and thought, hey, not so far from New York. Oh, 400 miles.  

Yes, distances in the US - and other parts of the world - can leave us Brits a bit flummoxed. I knew Buffalo - the nearest major US city - was at milepost 435.9 from Grand Central Terminal, NYC (a Trains magazine article about the Buffalo station, which has a 17-storey art-deco tower, a couple of decades back). That's further than London - Glasgow or Edinburgh, but still in the same state.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (just!)

Finally managed to roll out of bed 20 minutes ago after a terrible shift at work. 11 hours non stop, washing up for 200 people plus all the chefs equipment has really taken its toll on me today. Was only expecting to work 7 of those hours but I was stitched up... again.

Hoping I'll have the energy to carry on modelling the abandoned petrol station (see my signature banner). Meanwhile, a cup of tea and a few biscuits are calling me!

No snow here on the Hampshire/Dorset/Wiltshire border, although it could be here on Saturday when my sister is meant to fly back from the Netherlands! I hope not (although I do love a bit of snow as long as there's a warm log fire burning in the house!).

Speaking of concerts (ish), I played piano at the pub on Friday night for two and a half hours. Seemed to go down well but I was getting weary by the end! I seem to be a regular fixture down there now. Doesn't help I'm always working there too - it's like my second home, I mean I've even got a piano to use...

Morning all.  Haven't caught up on the 5 pages of posts from the weekend, but I'm here and alive...!

Trying to snow in Edinburgh but not managing more than a few tiny flakes on occasion.  Grey and bitterly cold though. 

I was at Niagara Falls back in 2005, when then gf and I were staying in Toronto.  Only went to the Canadian side of the Falls though - despite having been over the USA on the Spanish Aero Car, I've still to set foot on US soil.  It's not the most impressive of towns, though.  We took a coach from Toronto to NF, and it deposited us at the bus station which was a fair trek from anything...

• RMweb Gold

The Great Escape - cue music.  I have just escaped 'doing the hoovering' by pointing out to the management that I did it yesterday - she was too busy on her quiz site to notice  (and on which site we got 15 out of 15 on a railway quiz this morning - which is quite good considering our knowledge of certain US metro systems is zilch - so we guessed - but at least I know enough about the Sydney, NSW, suburban network to answer questions about a key junction).

Yet another Snow Storm here....blah de bloody blah. 40 mph winds add to the jollity. It's actually not that cold - I just went to the bank (drive-thru natch) and my car was registering 39f. I think that the air must be quite dry because the snowflakes are tiny.

We're expecting anything around 2-4 inches.

50f expected by Saturday - TROPICAL!

I don't have to add what this means for the old country........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Yet another Snow Storm here....blah de bloody blah. 40 mph winds add to the jollity. It's actually not that cold - I just went to the bank (drive-thru natch) and my car was registering 39f. I think that the air must be quite dry because the snowflakes are tiny.

Best, Pete.

Talking of drive thru banks, I remember trying to use one without having a car. It was the only ATM in walking ditance but it was not easy standing there or  even crouching down!

It must have looked odd to any one looking.

• Like 2

Me too! I guess I was rather starry eyed in anticipating this experience in 1971, newly married in Michigan where we were living and having a very romantic idea of what Niagara might be like. The reality was like a small scale Blackpool! We found the falls impressive (especially on a second visit in the Winter) but the surroundings disappointingly tacky.

I'd recommend anyone to take in the Falls. Half a day should do it!

As you know there are no restaurants nearby except in the hotels, yuck. No stores, it took me an hour to find a pharmacy. Just Tat and Tack.

I believe that the awful state of Niagara was one of the reasons that Teddy Roosevelt set up the National Parks system - and thank God he did.........

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Just back from 18 holes of golf.  It was very cold but otherwise no weather problems, so again we seem to have escaped the worst of the weather.  Thinking of you guys suffering.....

Got some pics of Niagara from my trip there a few years back on the Canadian side.  I'll see if there are any of the picturesque town....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Not much for us Pete - our weather is currently being imported from the Russian steppe and is booked to continue that way for most of this week.

Not much for us Pete - our weather is currently being imported from the Russian steppe and is booked to continue that way for most of this week.

I remember days like that.

The announcer at Shenfield station used to intone that the platforms were the highest point to the east until you hit the Urals - which is where the wind was coming from...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Afternoon all. Can someone do me a favour please? I just noticed my profile views are 666 and I would feel happier if it moved on one! The cold wind is the main problem for me. Living in a dormer bungalow the wind gets up under the eaves and blows between the joists betwixt floors. I believe we have to leave the gap clear to prevent condensation etc. but its damn cold where it finds gaps to whistle through. Off to find an extra pullover.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1

Afternoon all. Can someone do me a favour please? I just noticed my profile views are 666 and I would feel happier if it moved one one! The cold wind is the main problem for me. Living in a dormer bungalow the wind gets up under the eaves and blows between the joists betwixt floors. I believe we have to leave the gap clear to prevent condensation etc. but its damn cold where it finds gaps to whistle through. Off to find an extra pullover.

Done! :angel:

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 3

Best I can do.  Think of Basildon/Harlow/Hatfield new towns and you won't be far out....

The falls are fine provided you don't look behind you..:-)

attachicon.gifIMG_3021.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3030.jpg

One of my neighbours who travels a lot on business has a theory that everywhere is Basingstoke and all that climbing on a plane does is give someone the chance to adjust the weather.  

Reston, VA = Basingstoke, 

Zurich = Basingstoke.

Gordon's photos confirm that Niagra clearly = Basingstoke.  

Spooky.  :O

• Like 2

Snaps hot off the press! New Jersey, March 25th 2013 @ 11:00am Eastern Summer Time!

post-9016-0-51112500-1364226065_thumb.jpg

Out of Breezeway door to street.

post-9016-0-85548900-1364226116_thumb.jpg

Trashcans (empty, the guys have just been).

post-9016-0-50615500-1364226154_thumb.jpg

From other end of Breezeway looking out over deck to backyard.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

Best I can do.  Think of Basildon/Harlow/Hatfield new towns and you won't be far out....

The falls are fine provided you don't look behind you..:-)

And luckily the mist conceals Buffalo...............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  First half day back at work, what a bind!  1424 e mails to sort through....that's this week spoken for then!  No bosses around (bar me), and half the island is still snow bound so it was very quiet.

Mike 60860, one of them was from Mr Microsoft, offering upgrade to my 'Office' home user package - yes, the one with Apple options.

• Like 1

Sorry to go back to the Niagara thing I found this photo (Public Domain):

attachicon.gifDryniagara.jpg

The Falls can be manipulated on a daily basis down to 50% of its natural flow but you never see more then 75% of its potential fall at any one time.

The area around the is very flat and the falls disappear into a "hole" - the Reichenbach Falls it isn't... Once the US and Canadians realized the worth of the potential power it became a magnet for entrepreneurs which is why it is so industrialized.

Best, Pete,

You really don't like Niagara, do you, Pete? I'm not going to try to defend the towns on either side - they are grotty. (Though a cousin intoduced me to pizza by way of a great little backstreet pizzeria in Niagara Falls NY in 1968, so it's not all bad.) But, again IMO, the falls themselves are stunning especially, I have to say, the Canadian falls. Your picture shows the problem the American falls have - the hard layer of rock on top is breaking away, exposing the softer rock underneath, and the 'falls' are starting to degrade into steep rapids. I think that photo may have been taken during the time when the American falls were being 'switched off' so that the Army Corps of Engineers could try to break up the fallen rock with explosives, allowing it to be swept away by the water and steepening the falls again.

I'd recommend anyone to take in the Falls. Half a day should do it!

As you know there are no restaurants nearby except in the hotels, yuck. No stores, it took me an hour to find a pharmacy. Just Tat and Tack.

I'd agree with you that you don't need to spend more than about half a day there. Arrive on the Canadian side from the south via the Parkway, walk as far north as the 'Maid of the Mist', take that to the falls, maybe stop at this restaurant on the Parkway on the way back to the car:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Niagara+Falls,+ON&hl=en&ll=43.083041,-79.07761&spn=0.002892,0.005284&sll=54.112352,-126.555646&sspn=13.475052,43.286133&oq=niagara+falls&t=h&hnear=Niagara+Falls,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&z=18&layer=c&cbll=43.083219,-79.077545&panoid=DMvIhsqE_qX62mKpdvY71A&cbp=12,279.89,,0,0.64

with views like this:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Niagara+Falls,+ON&hl=en&ll=43.083041,-79.07761&spn=0.002892,0.005284&sll=54.112352,-126.555646&sspn=13.475052,43.286133&oq=niagara+falls&t=h&hnear=Niagara+Falls,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&z=18&layer=c&cbll=43.083219,-79.077545&panoid=DMvIhsqE_qX62mKpdvY71A&cbp=12,151.52,,0,-0.36

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Niagara+Falls,+ON&hl=en&ll=43.083041,-79.07761&spn=0.002892,0.005284&sll=54.112352,-126.555646&sspn=13.475052,43.286133&oq=niagara+falls&t=h&hnear=Niagara+Falls,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&z=18&layer=c&cbll=43.083219,-79.077545&panoid=DMvIhsqE_qX62mKpdvY71A&cbp=12,74.95,,0,-3.65

and leave for much nicer towns like Niagara-on-the-Lake:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Niagara-on-the-Lake,+ON&hl=en&ll=43.255252,-79.071908&spn=0.008158,0.021136&sll=43.091456,-79.071511&sspn=0.004121,0.010568&oq=Niagara+on+the+lake,+ON&t=h&hnear=Niagara-on-the-Lake,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.255408,-79.071977&panoid=2NRrlj_auM8KTz85vNqVSQ&cbp=12,137.42,,0,-7.68

• Like 1