The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all,  bit of a restless night here as apart as the Blue Breasted Kingfishers are raising  another brood in the hole in the wall above my bedroom window......all night long little one are shouting.....feed us, feed us NOW.............!

I've just realised that as I'm taking the whole of the Easter Week End off, that will be the first since 1963, (!!!!) when I've not had to work some or all of the Easter holiday...

Have a good day all, 

Trev

• Like 2

Morning All,

Some nice stories on here this morning!

Neil - it sounds like you might benefit from some of those stickers with bird of prey silhouettes on.  They do a very good job of preventing song birds from flying into large expanses of glass.

I managed to get out for a bike ride yesterday evening.  The first one of the year!  The wind was biting cold, and progress was slow, but it's a start!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry, dull & -1oC at the moment. There may be sunshine later, then again there may not!

I'm still waiting for yesterday's packages. One is "in the post" & the other has been sent to "their Warrington depot by mistake-we are very sorry for the inconvenience - you might get it by Saturday."

That's all right then, I'll just sit in and wait.

Keep smiling if you can,  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Bob

• Like 1

Hope all goes smoothly for your trip, Tony.

Snow is all consuming in my thoughts at the moment.

30 feet snow drifts on Snowdon.

They are sending 'special' equipment to clear the track for the Easter weekend but will only get part of the way up.

DD's Top Tip: Stay off the mountains!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of 'touristy' places that start their season on the Easter weekend might suffer this year.

The ski areas are happy enough though.

Not one of my preferred activities, BoD.

I saw part of a TV programme this week showing the Medical Centre of a Ski Resort.

If I've got it right, there were over 200 casualties in a day.

Ambulances, Helicopters, the lot.

My little brain tells me I'd rather go somewhere warm and rather less dangerous for a holiday.

Sliding down a hill on a plank is something I might have tackled when I was ten.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, it hasn't snowed since yesterday and the lying snow is retreating slowly I can now see some of the shed roof. Last day today for two weeks but it is a training day so travel to Derby and sit in a cold greenhouse for a talk about solution focused stuff. My cold has come back so I will no doubt have man flu tomorrow.

• Like 1

Beautiful sunny day with a clear blue sky, but appearances can be deceptive with frost over the car windows.  Got a real cruncher this morning.  The 'Seniors' v the 'Ladies'.....

Better keep my wits about me.  I hear there's a few ladies who'll stoop to anything to get one over the old boys....

• Like 4

Snow is all consuming in my thoughts at the moment.

30 feet snow drifts on Snowdon.

They are sending 'special' equipment to clear the track for the Easter weekend but will only get part of the way up.

DD's Top Tip: Stay off the mountains!

But it`s Easter and it`s warm here in the car-park!.......I was hoping to lead an under-equipped party of kiddies up to the summit; whilst wearing only jeans a t-shirt and flip-flops......people like you are just wet-blankets! :laugh:

• Like 14

SWMBO has just explained that the NHS Direct and GP Out of hours Services are being replaced by calling 111.

They have tried it in Manchester where, I am told, the computers gave up the ghost.

Apparently the folk answering the calls are not medically trained and work to a long list of questions before taking or recommending any action.

Last year I had occasion to call NHS Direct for an elderly lady who had collapsed but recovered.

An ambulance was at the door while I was still on the 'phone.

Top Tip: If it's serious, call 999.
  • Like 5

I've just been reading about the 111 thing.

It's only supposed to be for non-emrrgency use - maybe it'll help the 999 system become more efficient. I know over here people have been known to call 911 with a bad sore throat.....idiocy transcends borders.

God knows how much it is costing....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

As I understand it, Pete, it is replacing something which I considered more fit for the purpose (NHS Direct - staffed by qualified Nurses).

Many old people will not call an ambulance no matter the emergency - but NHS Direct (in my experience) did it quickly when needed.

By the time the 111 operators have gone through their list of questions (the reason for the failure of the computers), the need may have tragically passed.

However, I'm relating things secondhand - I'll check the facts later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21963297

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a light grey cloudy skied Leeds (but there is a hint of blue sky up there!).

It doesn't matter what service is provided while people ring for stupid reasons ( as in the 999 to the local police as "I haven't enough money for a taxi" and even better "the snow has stopped the taxis running so how do I get home"  - this at 4 am after the bars closed in town!).

In my early days you rang the doctor if you were really seriously unwell and they would come and see you. People didn't abuse the service - it could be a matter of life and death in a mining village.

off to pack for a trip to the seaside.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sunny here a nice change.

We had the 111 service here on the island. I phoned for someone feeling too ill and dizzy to get out of bed. Wen't through a long list of questions which I couldn't answer sensibly then said would I bring them into the Hospital Weekend clinic. I have seen the clinic as it is next to A&E. Usually packed with people waiting ages. If the person concerned had felt well enough to go to the clinic we wouldn't have bothered phoning. Total waste of time. We decided not to bother and phone 999 if things got worse. Bearing in mind you cannot get a doctor to attend out of hours except by 111. My expectation is that the number of 999 calls will go up.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Early gloom has given way to sunshine, but there's no real warmth in it.

Might do some garden stuff later - things have dried out pretty well, so mowing becomes an option, maybe.

Is this Maundy Thursday? Apart from the monarch dishing out money, where did the term originate? Off to horses now, so no time to Google - one of you will know, anyway!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

I've just been reading about the 111 thing.

It's only supposed to be for non-emrrgency use - maybe it'll help the 999 system become more efficient. I know over here people have been known to call 911 with a bad sore throat.....idiocy transcends borders.

God knows how much it is costing....

Best, Pete.

My son works as a civilian for the police, taking 999 calls or despatching emergency services. He once answered the phone to a lady saying, "I'm in Burton upon Trent and can't find B & Q!"

More seriously a young man called to say he was on a riverbank, about to throw himself in. My son managed to keep him talking until the local police arrived on the scene.

Sunshine here. Hope you all see some before long!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO has just explained that the NHS Direct and GP Out of hours Services are being replaced by calling 111.

They have tried it in Manchester where, I am told, the computers gave up the ghost.
Apparently the folk answering the calls are not medically trained and work to a long list of questions before taking or recommending any actio
Last year I had occasion to call NHS Direct for an elderly lady who had collapsed but recovered.
An ambulance was at the door while I was still on the 'phone.

Top Tip: If it's serious, call 999.

Morning, re 111 it was a disaster with people waiting on the phone over an  hour to speak to someone, thus local a&es saw an influx of patients.Made the local news in a big way, quote "It was a practice run to iron out any faults before the local pct centers closed"

Dry and cold no snow flurries and a big frost, off to play tennis indoors (obviously) this morning, weather report says two more weeks before weather returns to normal.

What is normal these days?

Ian weather report showed snow showed snow due over central France, wondered if that was done to make us feel better!! Await your weather reports with interest!!!!!

Have a good day all.

Alan

• Like 3

Is this Maundy Thursday? Apart from the monarch dishing out money, where did the term originate? Off to horses now, so no time to Google - one of you will know, anyway!

The gospel according to Google states that Maundy originates from the Latin 'mandatum' meaning command. At The Last Supper (probably a Passover celebration) Jesus gave his disciples the commandment to love one another.

Here endeth the lesson!

• Like 3