Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

A mutual friend of DH and I, had a colleague who overshot a range on The Wash and put a practice bomb into the toilet bowl of the khazi of the pub they went for a drink in afterwards. That was from a Tornado. 

Jamie

I assume said khazi was unoccupied at the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I found a Chinese dish designed for British people, chicken pot at the local hawker centre which includes chips💪

As it says in the good book, seek and ye shall find, this reaffirms my faith in the lord as it was clearly divine intervention which guided me to this oasis of proper chinese food with chips in it😇

This even made the task of walking around with a big cast iron pot with a fire burning away underneath seem an acceptable  risk. I yet hope that this barren land will one day discover the chip butties.

20240518_130348.jpg

20240518_130352.jpg

IS THAT CORIANDER?!?! 

I HATE CORIANDER!!!!!! 

Apparently hating Coriander is a  scientific thing - some people love it - to others like me, it tastes like old socks and soap and it blights anything that has it in.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I love coriander and could add it to just about anything. Vietnamese people especially seem to love it, banh mi sandwiches usually have plenty of coriander, they're a splendid people. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, jjb1970 said:

I love coriander and could add it to just about anything. Vietnamese people especially seem to love it, banh mi sandwiches usually have plenty of coriander, they're a splendid people. 

Banh Mi rolls here are very popular but the Vietnamese in the hot bread shops who make them are used  to asking  if we want Coriander before just shoving it on - obviously there are enough people like me who say "No CORIANDER!!!!"  to have got them trained up....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I think for some people coriander tastes like soap. 

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Coriander might be the perfect antidote for durian for those who find it tastes like soap. Wash away the hideous vileness of durian, good idea that.

• Funny 16

15 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Coriander might be the perfect antidote for durian for those who find it tastes like soap. Wash away the hideous vileness of durian, good idea that.

I can get Durians in the local supermarket, I have seen Durian Ice cream in their freezer section, I can get  Coriander flavoured  chips in the snack food section.... given the inroads they are making here,  maybe there's a market for Durian and Coriander toothpaste, air freshener .... or shower gel.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

It is an actual sciency thing, its  not just people like me being fussy...

https://this.deakin.edu.au/self-improvement/hate-coriander-heres-the-scientific-reason-why

Perhaps in societies where coriander is a big thing the soapy tendency people were shunned and removed from the gene pool. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Now MY theory of Life And Death -  based on nothing other than growing up here, and also from   drinking beer while  thinking about random stuff , is that lIfe is all just about statistics.

You just need to know how to play them in order to live a longer happy one. My tip is to do lots of risky stuff when you are younger when the chances of you dying are higher. then as you get older, the stats turn in your favour  for a while and because you didn't die back when the chances were high then now that the chances are low  you are therefore obviously bullet proof. 

My theory is if you survive those early risky years then the statistical chance  of getting knocked over by a dodgy chemical in a frozen pizza in  later years will be just brushed off by your body, and by maths.

For instance -  we had lots of dangerous play equipment when I was at school, including heavy wooden merry go rounds that would have cracked our skulls like an egg if we'd fallen under them, plus monkey bars that we would hang upside down by our knees  from and battle each other - trying to tear  our opponent off so they'd drop   3 or 4 feet head first down onto the hard Australian sun scorched ground underneath. The risk of brain damage or quadriplegia was huge looking back, but despite simkple commonsense  saying that was risky, we were spared any accidents and therefore that all  added to our statistical bulletproofness.

Then in our teenage years - also a high risk period for death, we'd   surf on top of cars - standing on the roof of a mates car as they sped down the road . If they were bast@rds they'd hit the brakes and we'd fly off over the bonnet  which everyone else in the car found hilarious so was a regular feature... but every non fatal incident was quietly  loading the statistics in our favour.

Now I'm at the point in life where natural causes will probably kill me  rather than silly pranks,  I've done such a lot of risky stuff in my younger years that eating a biscuit with some trace chemical in it will just get laughed at by my body and by statistics - due to all the hard work I've put in to trying to kill myself up until now, which is all paying off finally.

Of course our wildlife is the wildcard,they could do me in at anytime  - all bets are off when it comes to those bu99ers.

When you say wildlife is it safe to assume that you also include horses?

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps in societies where coriander is a big thing the soapy tendency people were shunned and removed from the gene pool. 

But I identify as someone who doesn't like Coriander which is my right so back off buddy!

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Coriander leaves don’t taste soapy to me , so I wouldn’t know, but what about coriander seeds? Do they also taste nasty to coriander averse people? Coriander in leaf or seed form seems to go in a lot of North Indian cookery. Dhaniya in Indian spice books and cilantro in other places. Reading American novels can widen one’s knowledge of local food names. Aditi usually can answer my questions like “what is arugula?”  She subscribes to the New York Times cookery supplement. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Look at them wearing their stupid disguises -  like we don't realise they are horses,  Try harder you idiots!

Isn’t Australia the country with the most camels or at  least the largest number of feral camels? I was surprised to see some in the Canary Islands and seem to recall that was where the ones originally taken to Australia came from. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I assume said khazi was unoccupied at the time.

Yes, apart from the practice bomb that had entered through the roof. I believe that the pilot had to buy a few drinks after the landlord took them round and asked who was responsible.  The pub was called "The King of Prussia" or something similar. 

Jamie 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Coriander leaves don’t taste soapy to me , so I wouldn’t know, but what about coriander seeds? Do they also taste nasty to coriander averse people? Coriander in leaf or seed form seems to go in a lot of North Indian cookery. Dhaniya in Indian spice books and cilantro in other places. Reading American novels can widen one’s knowledge of local food names. Aditi usually can answer my questions like “what is arugula?”  She subscribes to the New York Times cookery supplement. 

I shall selflessly  do the experiment. Human knowledge has only progressed due to people like me being  prepared to actually poke things with sticks, taste random stuff or seeing if they could jump across large gaps or whatever.

Step one - find suitable subject

image.png.8f61f907662f69bfab851868ae0fffde.png

Step two - measure out scientific sample

image.png.d8052762a6902a3fde109f4e91d69bba.png

Step three - Actual Sciency style Observations - 

Well at first bite they taste a bit lemony, pretty inoffensive..

Oh - , hang on  here comes the classic Coriander soap taste.   I shall attempt to continue, hoping that it sorts itself out into something more palatable

10 seconds later....

Nah, still tastes like sh1t, but with the added problem of being all gritty. 

Coriander in any of its forms: 0 stars - the horse of the spice world.

Actually, what is it even doing in my spice cabinet!??

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Isn’t Australia the country with the most camels or at  least the largest number of feral camels? I was surprised to see some in the Canary Islands and seem to recall that was where the ones originally taken to Australia came from. 

Yes, we have the most wild camels in the world - we export racing camels to the middle east.

They were brought out along with their Afghan camel masters to help build the transcontinental railway etc.

Interesting  fact - we could arguably be said to have suffered the worlds first Jihad style terrorist attack - way back  in 1915.......  and it involved a train - just one of many stories from  down here that the rest of the world doesn't know about - like V8  Holdens. 

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/new-years-day-1915-the-unknown-battle-of-broken-hill/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

… especially getting the blades off - I've never managed that without skimming the crap out of my knuckles so that alone is worth the cost. 

That’s what impact wrenches are for! 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1