The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land but not much in the way of red about this morning and no frost.

A grey day, then.

GDB.  You beat me to it.  I was just thinking what a nice change a blue H&P avatar would make.

Nice one!

It looks like Suvvern green is here to stay in these parts..

Lunch beckons.  Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The introduction of disabled toilets to trains is of course a very recent change - brought about by legal changes and in fact leading  to the removal of seats on some vehicles in order to fit them in.  I have every sympathy for the lady concerned but at least there was a toilet although it wasn't working, in our neck of the woods TfL (although we are nowhere near London) will be introducing its (makes me very) Cross rail trains in a  few years time and they will have no toilets, notwithstanding an ATOC set of guidelines which require all trains making journeys of 30 minutes or more to have toilet provision.  As I said to the idiot spokesman from Crossrail at a local meeting some time back I do feel for his carriage cleaners as they have to deal with the consequences of trains heading westwards conveying those who've had 'a good night out' on the beer or who visited a slightly dodgy restaurant in London and are suffering the consequences.  As far as local trains on the mainline here are concerned it will set them back nearly 60 years to the age when there were no toilets available on local stopping services - and some halfwits welcome this as 'modern' and 'an advance'.

As for toilets not working there can sometimes be technical problems or even watering troubles but in my experience by far and away the biggest cause was the havoc and damage wreaked to the facility by those who are nowadays referred to as customers,  If they put down a lavatory at home half the sort of stuff folk have been known to deposit in them on trains they must live in some very dirty houses;  what kind of idiot actually thinks a beer can will flush away in a toilet bowl?.

In the meanwhile a nice crisp frosty start to the day with some sunshine to melt it away (except in much of our back garden where the winter sun doesn't reach) and cloudy later anyway.

Have a good day one and all

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Forecast for here has changed so often over the last 24 hours that I've lost track.  In the end, we were told by the Exeter seaweed twirlers that it would be warming up by 9pm, and when I took Lily out just after that time, the grass was crispy white, and the car had thick ice on it.  So with that in mind, I set the heating to come on about 2.30am, and when in came on, we got roasted, as it had warmed up a lot by then, and it had risen to about 5C by 8am.

All posts read and rated, but I have a load of tasks domestic to be tackled, and I'm not through with them now.

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

Hello from a frozen Somerset.

Even my living room temperature is only 12C.

Just read the article about the paralympic athlete who was forced to wet herself on a Birmingham to Stansted service because the disabled toilet was out of order. That is truly terrible in this day and age. Should trains be in service on long journeys without adequate facilities, while management annd shareholderss are creaming off millions in profit?

I was listening to her interview on 5 Live. Buses dont have toilets and coach toilets are usually hard to access or they are locked so the driver doesnt have to clean them

Morning - first work day of the New Year.

Pleased to report no further injuries were sustained yesterday even though a small amount of additional track work was undertaken, both with razor blades AND hot soldering irons!! :O

Who says we don't live dangerously.

-7 and overcast retrieving the newspaper, roads apparently still icy from yesterday rain, so rush hour black ice warnings, fortunately I'm working from home.

-3 forecast high later and -19 overnight tonight.

Sally forth (well, she may have come fifth!) and let's embrace 2017...

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, a grey day but things are getting back to normality, played indoor tennis this morning, as a result I am cream crackered as they say. At least the food baby gained over Xmas is slowly reducing.

A dry day with another 28 to go ie no booze, typing this and looking at my avatar I am begining to wonder why I agreed to a dry January, oh well never mind.

Maybe a potter about in the shed shortly, it needs a tidy and thats my view not swmbo!

Enjoy whats left of the day folks

• Like 16

LE, glad to hear that your wife is out of hostipal (as our daughter used to say until she was about 10).

Laurence, sorry to hear your news.

A little milder here today, popped into town and astonished to learn that Xmas market is up and running until this Saturday 7 January. Only a few years ago it shut on Xmas Eve and last year stayed open for the New Year bank holidays.

Princes Street looks good just now -was concerned that the closure of BHS and the big HMV shop would make it look shabby, but BHS is now Scottish Home Stores which, amongst other things, sells tourist tartan tat; HMV is now a Sports Direct, hopefuly paying reasonable wages and treating its staff as they should.

Quite a few things still closed here for the day, back to work tomorrow.

IanA - know what you mean about DJT, but still find the inauguration a thing to watch - are they taking bets on impeachment this year? :nono:

Hope your day has gone well

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon

Quite a good day, managed to get all my programmed work completed, early, I also managed to get home for lunch too! My route home takes me past the butchers, so I called in and bought some supplies for the week, I alsobought a couple of pork pies, which we had for lunch, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! They must be good because Sheila will eat them!

Last night we had roast chicken with broccoli and sprouts, later whilst we were watching the idiots lantern, Sheila said, "it will be strange not having you here tomorrow at lunchtime, but after broccoli and sprouts I'm glad your going to work!" I don't know what she meant by that!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now after dinner,

Normally it would be sailing on a Sunday, but to save a few with headaches, we had our racing today.

It got interesting on the way to the club when I hit black ice driving through a tiny village on a very tight bend with houses to the edge of the road. Sliding sideways in a landrover at about 10 mph, luckily I regained steering before i would have been knocking down someone's door.

The weather was scattered showers, bright sunshine between, during the showers we got quite strong gusts of wind. The rest of time it was very light.

It was extremely slippery around the club and the rescue boats were slippery as well when we got them ready and put the bouys out.

Race one

With a good attendance it was quite crowded on the start line and in avoiding other boats we started last, while two young ladies in their Yeoman got a perfect start and disappeared off in the distance. Due to the wall of boats in front of us it took some time break through, which we did by sailing below them ( they were nearer the wind than us), but by sticking close to the bank we were out of the tide.

We then found ourselves with four boats ahead, up ahead three of the boats were getting in each others way , we rounded the first bouy (4) still in fifth place but a lot closer.

Going in this direction it was more of a case of follow the leader and we crept up on the fourth place boat, so that when we reached the clubhouse and turned down wind we were very close hauling up our spinnaker we overtook them and were just ahead at bouy 1. The chase was then on for the next 2 boats, we followed the round bouy 2 at the club house, all the way up to bouy 3 back to bouy 1 then bouy 2 and all the way to bouy 4, on rounding this the other two again got in each others way by moving towards the left hand bank from which the wind was coming, so we went down the right hand bank with stronger wind and before they noticed we swept through beneath them . That got us clear ahead and we set off after the girls , we were gaining but still 100 yards behind at the finish.

Race 2 which was a bit shorter as the previous one over ran it's 1 hour race time.

We were in the lead at the start, too much in the lead and were over the line by about a foot at the start. This requires you to return behind the line without getting in any one elses way. This we did, but were well and truly last by the time we set off again.

It took us up to the first corner to catch the rear of the pack, and during the tacking up to the bouy 4 we passed 2 boats.

After that we set off after the next pair of boats, passing them as we rounded the club corner and using our spinnaker, but we didn't get far ahead of them although we stayed ahead round bouy 1 and 2, and 3. Coming round the club corner they sat behind us and blocked the wind eventually getting past. So on rounding bouy one we had dropped back to 3 rd from last, shortly after the race finished.

So we consoled ourselves with a couple of cheese rolls each and a welcome cup of soup. It was very chilly out there.

Race 3, we made a good start this time being just behind the line when the buzzer went, there was just one boat half overlapped and behind .The rest well behind, it took us several hundred yards to get clear ahead, and although for the first half lap some got close we stayed ahead. Then when we sailed from bouy 1 to 2 we gained a huge amount, and we did the same each time we did that leg of the course. So we won that one in the setting sun and definately dropping temperatures.

After 3 days working on the shed and today's racing my knees and back are complaining, time for a Highland Park I think...

I tried reading all these race reports in the style of Peter O'Sullivan at say, Doncaster or Cheltenham, but ended up more like Clive Everton at a snooker tournament.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bus was early this morning so it saved us a walk through the station. Still loads of withdrawn or cancelled services. Our nor,al LBG one is in the withdrawn category as no longer shows on the departure board and the following Victoria service is cancelled so this Thameslink is now doing extra stopping to pick up at Merstham Coulsdon South and Purley otherwise they would have had no service for well over an hour in the peak period.

I understand that rail users in the Southeast are objecting to the latest round of fare increases.

I think the increases are quite reasonable, I mean after all....... your journeys are lasting much longer.

Edited by BoD

I understand that rail users in the Southeast are objecting to the latest round of fare increases.

I think the increases are quite reasonable, I mean after all....... your journeys are lasting much longer.

They spend so much of their lives at stations waiting for trains that they're now being offered Council Tax rebates!  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

As for public toilet access for many years I could only travel by basically knowing where all the loos were. Not finding one where expected wasn't much fun.

This reminds me of many a shift when, in the middle of driving, I suddenly felt I needed to go soonest. I can assure you that, one, this is no fun at all, and, two, one hell of a motivator for reaching the next terminus ASAP. In which case any, and I mean any, hope for late passengers of catching a ride with me will be doomed, tough as that may be.

IanA - know what you mean about DJT, but still find the inauguration a thing to watch - are they taking bets on impeachment this year? :nono:

Understood - actually, most folks think there's more of a chance that after he shouts "you're fired" at Congress and is then reminded he can't actually fire anyone, he'll get bored with the job and bugger off :jester:

So, apparently our original forecast high of -3 is a thing of dreams, almost noon here and now dropping, currently at -11 with a -16 wind chill... I'm expecting -19 for the overnight low may be off target now also! :O

• RMweb Gold

Talking of late running trains, the one we are due to catch is one minute late into Santa Barbara so I think that I can live with that consideringit departed San Diego 6 hours ago. This morning we head to San Luis Obispo for lunch then head to San Jose for our last night before heading home.

Not looking forward to commuting again with reduced services on non strike days and much worse on strike days i.e. No Southern trains at all.

The idea of an easy day soon went out of the window this morning. 5 jobs and 350 miles later I actually get home. Modelling is already having to take a back seat as even though I have a late start tomorrow, I'm working away for the rest of the week.

Moment of revelation earlier.

I've owned a simple DCC controller for about 12 years and due to wear and tear the "controller to track" connector had perished. 

Figured that a trip to Maplin to purchase a new 3.5mm connector was needed. 

Christmas intervened and nothing got done. 

Anyway, trying to concentrate on some paperwork earlier with the family in the same room I reached for set of earphones to play some music. 

Like most folk I've got a draw full of entangled earphones from various mp3, phones, stereos etc. 

Took a few moments looking at the phono connector before realising it was also a 3.5mm plug. Bingo!   :sungum:

Obviously got to make sure the wire that is used for these earphones will carry the current dished out by the DCC controller but on a small layout with one loco in steam.....

• Like 6