Rolling backwards for 2 miles

Guest stuartp

Management eventually decided that we weren't allowed to carry on with this arrangement for some reason which seems daft to me

They probably couldn't work out where the fiddle was. (Because if the staff are happy with the arrangement then there must be a fiddle going on somewhere !).

I used to work with a bloke who regularly slept in for nights. Trouble was, he used to fall asleep in the shed on his allotment so even if we rang his house it took his wife a good 20 minutes to even get to him before he could do anything about it !

They probably couldn't work out where the fiddle was. (Because if the staff are happy with the arrangement then there must be a fiddle going on somewhere !).

I used to work with a bloke who regularly slept in for nights. Trouble was, he used to fall asleep in the shed on his allotment so even if we rang his house it took his wife a good 20 minutes to even get to him before he could do anything about it !

Our 'mutual exchange of shifts' was frowned upon by Planning, who would give various justifications for their comments. One was that we are paid on an annualised basis, with a 'shift average' paid each month based on the normal pattern. The person who did more night shifts would be entitled to payment of additional hours for those in excess of the average, whilst they couldn't reclaim money from the one who did less hours, or so they claimed. However, even with working less nights, my monthly actual shift payments were in excess of the average- I can't work it out either.

At the time this was happening we'd just lost pretty much all our mainline work and were then a suburban only depot, route knowledge didn't come in to it. It was all down to that my 'face didn't fit', proved when they tried to have me for drugs, I got an apology for that one when the medscreen proved that I was clean. I left at the end of 97.

Andi

Hmmm. Rogue Traincrew management who think they can victimize with no comeback. Not the first time I've heard of that.

I'm guessing though that something didn't suit for you to jack it in Andi. I'm not sticking my nose in, because I know of a few footplatemen who have jacked it in, bit not many who actually had/have the passion for railways in the hobby too.

After 30 years of shift my attitude is that there is no such thing a a good shift pattern, just a least worst. Though I always enjoyed the work on nights, with just the job and no senior management, I found them harder to adapt to once I got past 40. My experience was that it was the 2nd night shift that was hardest as I never adapted to sleeping in the day till after the 2nd shift, As anno domini wore on I tried such things as a blackout blind, earplugs, and eye mask along with nightols from the chemist. I did however hear our force doctor give a lecture about this and he said that the problem with most night workers is that they tend to sleep as soon as thye finish work in the morning, then have full afternoon/evening, trying to a have a life and then go to work. Ideally we should just timeshift our day and go to bed in the afternoon, sleep the required amount then get up, have breakfast and go to work with time for hobbies when we finished work. As the Dr explained, the ideal logically is not always the best socially.

Different people handle it different ways. I'm very fortunate that I can sleep when I want to - not even having to draw the curtains even on a sunny day. If my body wants me to sleep I'll let it, but I don't need much these days. 'm also very fortunate that my job on night shift can sometimes allow me to grab the odd downtime between phonecalls.

I have tried sleeping in the afternoon and getting up for "breakfast" before going to work. If my wife is on a late shift I sometimes do that, but it makes little difference to me to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Remember the 2_EPB that escaped from Caterham without a driver and made it all way to Norwood Jn before being diverted into a dead-end siding - late 70's

Something like - "Key on, handbrake off ready, go and make a cuppa" Oops! I thought it was a 4-EPB, but I wasn't there, either, so may well be wrong.

Archived