Farish Cl 60 + Taylor Body?

rprodgers

I have one of the Taylor Models Cl 60's presently on a modified Cl 50 chassis.

I wondered whether it was possible or worth it to fit the Taylor body / bogie frames onto a Farish Cl 60?

P

I don't mean to be obtuse, but why bother? Surely the Farish 60 body is as good or better?

The 60 chassis isn't available alone, so you'd almost certainly have to buy a complete loco anyway.

Cheers,

Alan

The TPM body holds it's own very well against the Farish class 60 and both are very good. However, there are a couple of errors on the Farish version that are not present on the TPM one. But as you'll probably need to purchase a complete working Farish class 60 to obtain a donor chassis and already have a working chassis under the TPM body why not run both models as they are instead of only ending up with one hybrid loco and a spare Farish body you dont use.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

IIRC the original TPM 60s sits on a narrowed Farish chassis because the TPM resin bodyshell is thicker than plastic and incorporates the detailing "inside" the grilles.

The Farish model is plastic, and while the grilles are also etched the "detailing" inside is on the chassis block.

So the new chassis might be too wide for the TPM body.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments when I saw the Farish Class 60 when it first came out I was underwhelmed by its appearance and still think the Taylor model looks far superior....a similar reason why I didnt buy their class 31.

I was looking at upgrading the mechanism of my Taylor having seen some Farish Class 60s in the less popular liveries discounted

P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments when I saw the Farish Class 60 when it first came out I was underwhelmed by its appearance and still think the Taylor model looks far superior....a similar reason why I didnt buy their class 31.

I was looking at upgrading the mechanism of my Taylor having seen some Farish Class 60s in the less popular liveries discounted

P

Hi

Whats the inside measurement of the Taylor body and I will check the size of my Farish chassis.

Cheers

Paul

The TPM one has finer grilles, and is more accurate in a few spots. If you can find one of the lifelike chassis variant its also rather superior in haulage. Only thing it lacks is lighting.

If need be you can thin the chassis blocks on a Farish chassis quite easily. I use a scrap woodworking file when reshaping them as it goes through the cruddy metal they use very nicely and unlike a metalworking fine it doesn't clog and wreck the file in the process. Just be sure not to overthin any areas as its not very strong metal.

when I saw the Farish Class 60 when it first came out I was underwhelmed by its appearance and still think the Taylor model looks far superior....

Totally agree - I think its a great loss now its been discontinued in kit form (still available as a 'cjm' model though) . One of the all time great uk modern image kits IMO. Could Mr Taylor be persuaded to bring it back? The errors in the Farish one make it look very wierd to me.

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Whats the inside measurement of the Taylor body and I will check the size of my Farish chassis.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

I have measured the inside width of the Taylor body and it is 14.5mm

Thanks

P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul I take it there is enough material to lose .5mmm ;)

Last question is the performance of this Bachmann / Farish chassis far superior to the Poole products class 50 chassis I have at the moment?

Just asking as have not bought any locos with the newer mechanisms

P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul I take it there is enough material to lose .5mmm ;)

Last question is the performance of this Bachmann / Farish chassis far superior to the Poole products class 50 chassis I have at the moment?

Just asking as have not bought any locos with the newer mechanisms

P

Hi

Yes you should be able to remove 0.25mm from each side of the chassis (this would partially remove the details that appear behind each grill that is cast into the chassis though).

Cheers

Paul

Hi,

Another possible option is to get in touch with Bernie to see if he has any of his Class 60 chassis plates for your version of the kit?

I got one a few years back, it's a resin plate which you then fit the workings from a Life-Like E8 on to it, motor, drive shafts, flywheels etc.

It greatly improved the running compared to the old class 50 chassis, I would say it's even better that the current Farish 60.

Hope this might be of some help.

Keith.

fit the workings from a Life-Like E8 on to it, motor, drive shafts, flywheels etc.

It greatly improved the running compared to the old class 50 chassis, I would say it's even better that the current Farish 60.

I've got the chassis of Lifelike E6 and E8's under an old Anbrico whitemetal 50 kit and a Minitrix 47 and they are very good runners. However, the last time I managed to purchase some cheap Lifelike chassis (Fairbanks Morse Erie A+B units) I found the design had completely changed. The older E6/8 had a plastic chassis plate which the motor clipped onto and the drive shafts were flexible plastic tube that slip fitted onto the flywheel - very easy to shorten or lengthen. The newer design was solid metal, in 2 halves, with the motor, flywheels and drive shafts just resting between the 2 sides in a well. Still an excellent runner, but i gave up trying to lengthen one drive shaft putting it under a Farish Western, and left the model on only 1 powered bogie, but with both picking up current.

If you want to use the replacement kit chassis plate, I suspect you will need an older plastic chassis example.

STEVE

I'm afraid there are no more resin chassis parts left. The introduction of the Farish version came soon after the change in the Life-Like chassis so I was faced with a third re-engineering of the kit for a new chassis at the point where demand was likely to be greatly diminished. Given the experience with the Class 87 kit (the first batch sold in six months, the subsequent batch still hasn't sold out over 10 years later thanks to the (arguably less well detailed/proportioned) Farish 87 it looked a lost cause.

Archived