RMweb

Dapol 2010 / 2011 product list and press release

DapolDave

Lol, lots of probing going on...........ok, the 26 was part of the mag7 and the 121 was announced last year and we have shown cad/cams. So you know we are doing them, you just don't know when!

All we are doing now is not commenting and giving advantages to third parties, where in the past we have been open and honest with pics etc, and this has potentially caused problems with duplicate models.

Please understand that ALL items outstanding in the M7 list and the 121/142 etc are now "undercover" and will remain so untill 30 days to release.

Chees

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Thanks for your honesty and integrity Dapoldave, I bow to your greater knowledge but, IMO I would have thought the opposite to be true. By being secretive there is, again IMO, more chance of duplication. If all manufacturers announced there programs well in advance of consideration of new models, a lot of time, effort and MONEY could be saved. Let’s face it, purely from a post 1990 modelling perspective, a lot of stock has either been claimed or produced, manufacturers need, more than ever, to avoid another Blue Pullman or EWS Megabox fiasco. As an aside I bought a rake of the Dapol Megaboxes and they suit my needs fine.

NJ

I can understand the new approach in some respects, but in recent years there has already been a bit of overlap and some finger-poining in both directions where: -

1)Products were either announced already by one party and duplicated (Thinks 9F 66 for just two previous examples and more recently the 101 DMU too).

2) Have appeared completely out of the blue (E.g. Dapol's "Voyager" which Farish were known to be already tooling it).

Then there have also been examples where pre-announcements which have saved duplication (E.g. Ivatt 2MT Tender Loco where Dapol ceded to Farish - albeit we have still yet to see the Farish version).

The truth is I guess that it is business and competition is part of that. Pre-announcing products is great for consumers (enabling them to budget) great for Dealers (Managing cashflow projections) but potentially not so good for manufaturers if they find their Market halved (or worse if the other can bring it to launch first) by a competitor who works in secret.

In truth what we have here is actually no different to the policy the old Graham Farish company always had with nothing pre-announced and things only announced when ready for release. The wheel has turned full-circle it seems.

The only difference now is that with two competitors if models continue to be duplicated, the gnashing of teeth will be done in private by whoever fails to get to Market first :unsure:

Roy

Some interesting developments Dave, another couple of 66s and 67s on the to buy list. Good to hear there'll be more bullets too!

Which version is this Dave?

Boomshanka,

Pix

+1 :lol:

I know which livery you (and I) are hoping for!

cheers

jo

Farish are largely copying the Bachmann OO range which was Bachmanns original intent was they acquired Farish. Sometimes the reverse has happened ie the OO 3MT came about because they were doing in N (and that was only because Dapol did an Ivatt 2 2-6-2T which Farish were going to do). If Dapol stick to the models Bachmann have not indicated as being made in any scale then the duplication is less likely ie instead of a 101 why not a 116/117/118.

I find the balance between long and short timescale pre announcements closely drawn. On balance I think I prefer surprises. I have found the very long delay with G/F's Ivatt 2MT highly irritating - but was delighted with their Rebuilt Scot. And I can believe the commercial balance is far from c lear.

And thank you to Dapol Dave for clarifying the status of the N Gauge 67024. I admit I missed the publicly announced delay/suspension of Firth of Clyde. I checked the website again and could not find it. No matter. I will check those due for release against my shed allocation books and may try to change my order. It will be w orthy replacement for my 34 year old Minitrix Brit.

These are certainly amazing times for British N Gauge, especially if like me you have an interest in more than one era. Keep it up Dapol and G/Far.

So, as I understand it, this list refers only to new re-liveries of existing items. Will any forthcoming totally new items for 2011 be the 2011 catalogue then, or always be surprises?

We still have quite a bit to look forward to from the 2010 catalogue then, I'm personally thinking of the Central Trains\ONE hybrid livery cl.156 and the Network SouthEast cl.86.

Is the 156 in "Sprinter" livery just the same as the original release that was just listed as Regional Railways, but with "Sprinter" rather than "Super Sprinter" ? The 156 livery I'm really waiting for is the 158 style "Express" version of the Regional Railways livery, applied by Central Trains. 2012 maybe?

I'm disappointed there isn't an Anglia 86. I might be a bit biased, but I would have thought this would have been quite a popular livery for this class? I'm a real 86 fan, but I've been putting off buying one in the original liveries assuming an Anglia one will come along eventually!

Also, any news on the Mk3 buffet cars?

Will any forthcoming totally new items for 2011 be the 2011 catalogue then, or always be surprises?

I think the OP means 'new' new models will be notified only one to two months in advance. For repeat batches it would be much easier if there was one list with all the outstanding announced runs whether noted for 2010 or 2011.

Go on Dave, I'd like to mither you.....

I'm intrigued by the "splitting" of the HST booksets, as the NMT is mentioned seperately from the other HST book sets, in the "book sets/special editions" bit at the bottom.

In what way will this differ from the other HST releases......fewer made ? Special commission by a retailer ? More/fewer coaches included ? Later date of release ?

I only speak as a definite customer, and don't want to miss out

• RMweb Gold

I believe the NMT set only contains power cars. The other HST sets contain coaches.

Tom.

Go on Dave, I'd like to mither you.....

I'm intrigued by the "splitting" of the HST booksets, as the NMT is mentioned seperately from the other HST book sets, in the "book sets/special editions" bit at the bottom.

In what way will this differ from the other HST releases......fewer made ? Special commission by a retailer ? More/fewer coaches included ? Later date of release ?

I only speak as a definite customer, and don't want to miss out

I know which livery you (and I) are hoping for!

I guess it'll probably be the latest version, but you never know. My whinging might pay off. ;)

A bit off era for Parkend Pix...unless this is for another 2FS project ;)

Eh, it's shiney and I used to see if therefore I'm a sucker for it. Perhaps I should play the preservation line and perspective cards so I can use all the different scales, eras and countries that takes my fancy on one layout. ;)

Pix

I'm bothered by one thing in particular. What will the HST book set contain and will there be a guarantee to actually produce the other coaches ?

For example the buffet for the otherwise gorgeous W&S sets has now been MIA so long that it needs to be issued with an additional coach as well to keep up with current formations.

Some certainty on that either way would be good. With the EWS management it was nice and clear from day 1 that the coaches were not going to be issued. I've no problem with a book set if I know the TGS/TRUB or similar included and the other coaches appearing but I'm not likely to buy a pair of power cars on the hope that someday maybe the TGS coaches will appear for it. What will occur for the NMT ?

I guess it'll probably be the latest version, but you never know. My whinging might pay off. ;)

Pix

Given the amount of blue and pink paint I've got in stock it porably will be :lol:

Here's hoping a TGS will appear too

cheers

jo

Hi everyone,

to clarify, today's announcement has nothing to do with OO. Gauge, merely N!

However, I do understand the confusion as normally we would announce OO gauge at the normal release date of the catalogue. I.e. Today!

Any OO announcements also fall under the "announced when they are ready" category of today's press release.

Any new items will only be announced upon imminent release and will not, therefore appear in the 2011 catalogue.

As the press release mentions, we are now turning aggressive with regards to new models so expect to see an above normal amount of releases from Dapol this year.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Sometimes, especially if planning a long rake of modern wagon, I think its best the customer is given notice so they can start saving?

Ie, Dapol announce next month wagon "Super duper" is out (00) and they are £25 each. I may 10 of them, but now dont have the money!

Just a thaught.

Sometimes, especially if planning a long rake of modern wagon, I think its best the customer is given notice so they can start saving?

Ie, Dapol announce next month wagon "Super duper" is out (00) and they are £25 each. I may 10 of them, but now dont have the money!

Just a thaught.

+1

Read elsewhere that there are unlikely to any more weathered wagons as the Chinese factory wants twice the price for a weathered model over a pristine one. Er, how does that equate to the statement on Dapols web site in the FAQs

"Q) Where are your products produced?

A) All our tooling is done in China, as are our chassis under contract. However body moulding and painting and final assembly is done at our Chirk factory."

Read elsewhere that there are unlikely to any more weathered wagons as the Chinese factory wants twice the price for a weathered model over a pristine one. Er, how does that equate to the statement on Dapols web site in the FAQs

"Q) Where are your products produced?

A) All our tooling is done in China, as are our chassis under contract. However body moulding and painting and final assembly is done at our Chirk factory."

I had been wondering about this, and other comments to a similar effect that I've picked up upon recently!

• RMweb Premium

A couple of statements recently seem to have suggested that more of the construction is now done in China than previously. The FAQ's section is older so possibly needs updating or clarifying.

Archived