West Pickering, Craig's Canadian project

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

More bits and bobs completed today, the other two fiddle yard boards are now awaiting track, once I clear some more space they can be built up and the trackwork finished.

I've also made a start on the copperclad sleepers at the board join between the first two boards, I'll post a pic once this is finished, nightshift this week so should get some time in the afternoons to crack on with it.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

More fiddle yard work done in between nightshifts and the school run!

Boards 1 & 2 trackwork completed and work now started on no3, the rail ends between boards 1, 2 & 3 have also been soldered to copperclad sleepers for durability.

I've attached a couple of pics, I'm hoping to get the complete layout assembled some time next week with some temporary wiring to allow some testing of the completed trackwork, the front scenic sections are fine so far, then permanent wiring including point motors will be the next big job.

post-291-0-28104600-1413866293.jpg

post-291-0-65761200-1413866371.jpg

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More progress today, had some time to myself this morning so managed to get the track wiring done on the new sections, the link board and first board of the fiddle yard are now wired to allow some test running.

The biggest obstacle now is that the area where the third fiddle yard board is to go is currently occupied by my beer fridge! However I will be purchasing another kitchen base unit this week which will house the fridge underneath the layout, this in turn will allow the remaining boards to be put up and the trackwork finished!

We've also just booked our flights for another 3 week visit to my Aunt's in Ajax just outside Toronto for next summer, can't wait as i've planned in a few model shop visits and some train watching while we're there, we're also planning a trip to Niagara Falls for a few days so will be trying to fit it in so that myself and my son can get there on the weekend GO like last time!

Anyway, heres a pic of one of today's test trains on the new section.

post-291-0-29587900-1414969842.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Craig Watson, on 01 Nov 2014 - 19:41, said:

More progress on the layout today, front boards turned and linked to the fiddle yard at one end, some wiring to do tomorrow then hopefully a test with some stock.

attachicon.gifDSC_0754.JPG

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig, not a criticism but an observation. The road on the left in this pic should have yellow lines to separate the direction of travel, unless of course its a one way street.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig, not a criticism but an observation. The road on the left in this pic should have yellow lines to separate the direction of travel, unless of course its a one way street.

Ah, thanks for that, hadn't noticed the yellow line on Google maps!!

Another job to add to the list, I wasn't 100% happy with the road as it is just now so that will get changed!

Cheers

Craig

Rule of thumb for Canadian roads. White lines are for demarking lanes or spaces where vehicles are travelling in the same direction. Yellow lines are used to separate lanes or traffic flows in opposing directions. You will even see yellow lines on the left side of the inside lane of a dual carriageway. (divided highway)

One day is long enough at Niagara, believe me......................actually I had the most fun at the RCMP’s shop!

If you can imagine the Falls in the UK they would be in Basildon, but without any decent stores.

Best, Pete.

One day is long enough at Niagara, believe me......................actually I had the most fun at the RCMP’s shop!

If you can imagine the Falls in the UK they would be in Basildon, but without any decent stores.

Best, Pete.

I don't think you've been to Basildon recently, Pete - I'm fairly sure it doesn't have any!

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Been there a few times, usually go for a few days, with a day's shopping on the US side and a visit to Niagara on the lake, the first time I was there the line was still in place at the top of Clifton Hill, the kids love the place though!!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

More progress, the remaining boards are set up with the two main lines completed allowing running around the complete layout, the track at the far end of the fiddle yard is only temporary until the remaining points are bought, pushing on with so much on the layout has blown my modeling budget for the month so the remaining 11 or 12 I need will have to wait until payday!!

What I have been able to do so far is test various stock on the curves of the layout, as designed the curves are mostly hidden so were laid pretty tight to make use of the space, so far I've had no problems, everything seems to get round ok including the GO stock, Walthers VIA budd stock and my Rapido "Glen Fraser" car, as I can access the fiddle yard from one end I've been able to make up a few trains to test the layout, its been pretty encouraging to see trains lined up as per the picture below as its what I've been aiming for all along!

post-291-0-97796200-1415557251.jpg

I'm going to get some more pics later tonight once I've cleared up a bit!

Cheers

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More work on the layout has seen the fiddle yard now complete with all track feeds now wired and tested, it has 5 tracks for each direction with an extra two dead end tracks for making up trains and servicing the industry tracks on the front, the next big job will be fitting point motors in the new year.

post-291-0-31448300-1416988988_thumb.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First update for a while!

Having pretty much completed the trackwork in the run up to Christmas the time since has been spent working on some rolling stock projects and generally running trains round the layout to double check clearances and how various items of rolling stock manage on the curves.

The layout also has its first outing in early 2016 so work will be starting shortly on the control panel and point motors.

Here are some of the loco's I've been working on.

Canadian National C44-9W 2727, an Athearn model fitted with a replacement Kaslo Shops cab kit, need to redo the windows, they were done with micro kristal clear initially.

post-291-0-38214200-1429879420.jpg

Original incorrect cab on right, replacement on the left.

post-291-0-37982500-1429879436.jpg

Fitted and primed.

post-291-0-17206000-1429879439.jpg

Basic colour coat.

post-291-0-84704600-1429879439.jpg

Another coat added along with black parts done.

post-291-0-30100700-1429879441.jpg

Complete and weathered.

GTW GP38-2 5812, An Atlas Trainman model weathered and faded to current condition, faded with a light spray of Humbrol dust wash then weathered as per pics of the real thing.

post-291-0-35998800-1429880633.jpg

Straight out of the box!

post-291-0-17508200-1429880615.jpg

Faded and dirty workhorse!

Canadian Pacific SD60M 6262, A Rail Power shell which I've had for a few years, a slow project which was restarted after I picked up a cheap p2k chassis, I had originally planned to finish as a Soo unit but CP have started repainting them in their own livery, the red is a slightly different shade being Soo Red but once weathered it will look ok, still got lots to do with this one.

post-291-0-05892800-1429880637.jpg

The basic shell on the p2k chassis.

post-291-0-41735500-1429880639.jpg

Lots to do!

Canadian Pacific SD60M 6262, A Rail Power shell which I've had for a few years, a slow project which was restarted after I picked up a cheap p2k chassis, I had originally planned to finish as a Soo unit but CP have started repainting them in their own livery, the red is a slightly different shade being Soo Red but once weathered it will look ok, still got lots to do with this one.

The Soo red is pretty close to the current CP red:

Modern CP red

post-206-0-58519600-1429885736.jpg

Modern CP red and Action red

post-206-0-78269000-1429885852.jpg

Soo Red

post-206-0-04223300-1429885761.jpg

Modern CP red and CN

post-206-0-40029500-1429885868.jpg

Adrian

There are, of course, two different Soo Reds.... ;)

The red as used on the classic white & red livery is rather darker 'as new' compared to the Candy Apple Red shade that was used from 1989 on the all-over red livery, & they were both different to CP Rail red.... BUT.... red is a colour that is notorius for fading, so what with weathering as well, all three shades could end up looking very similar.

Cracking conversion & repaint on that CN loco, Craig, & as for the fade & weathering on the GT Geep - that is just superb!! :locomotive:

Thanks Adrian,

Looking forward to getting some more pics of my own when I'm over in July!

Cheers

Craig

Craig;

If you have a car and a bit of time, the bridge where I took the last two photos above is a fun place to spend a bit of time watching trains. The wooden hump-back bridge goes over the two-track CN main line while the CP main and a siding cross the road at grade just north of the bridge (see last photo). The only issue with photography there is that the trains may be moving quite quickly (45-50mph for freights and faster for VIA).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8995707,-78.5517169,17z

It's about 30km east of Ajax. Further west of it the CP main diverges from the CN.

Adrian

Adrian, actually 38 km ;) (unless the Google Earth ruler is off :P ) Look for 3789 Lakeshore Rd near Lovekin, ON. Street View available :) In one of the Street View images a westbound VIA with PH40 is just visible. :O

Interestingly, that looks to be an F40PH leading a P42.

• RMweb Premium

Spent the last few days having some running sessions on the layout with the kids testing various combinations of locos and stock.

8023 passing the station with an intermodal rake.

post-291-0-99725800-1430251196.jpg

2727 passing a grain train.

post-291-0-68680100-1430251276.jpg

8023 about to pass a VIA express.

post-291-0-40604300-1430251441.jpg

BNSF 1096 on a grain train.

post-291-0-85368500-1430251472.jpg

A pair of CN SD40-2W locos haul a rake of autoracks.

post-291-0-31692200-1430251568.jpg

CN 5607 passing the autorack rake.

post-291-0-31920600-1430251748.jpg

GO Trains meet at the station.

post-291-0-63352900-1430251834.jpg

Fiddle Yard lineup.

post-291-0-69266500-1430251872.jpg

The next major work will be turning the front boards to do more scenic work, point motors and wiring then build the two extra 4ft boards, one for the front and one for the fiddle yard! 

Cheers

Craig

• 1 month later...

Short GO trains are once again prototypical! The first afternoon train on the Barrie line appears to currently be 6 coaches with an MP40 pushing. In 2009 the 4 Barrie trains were 6,8,10, and 8 coaches, but for the last few years GO have been running 10 (or 12 on some Lakeshore services) coach sets system-wide. 

Adrian

Must say it's nice to see 'big' trains being modelled. Shunty planks are all well & good, & a way to model US outline in small spaces, but they're no place for double-stack containers, or unit grain trains. Nice stuff, Craig!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks guys,

We're pretty much set for our visit to Toronto now, we leave next Friday for 3 weeks, I've already got a delivery of LRC coaches on its way to my aunt's!!!

I should have some more pics of the layout over the next few days too.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

A visiting loco today, dropped off at my local shop for a change of defective sound decoder, job done and a good stretch around the layout for a wee while to check all was good.

post-291-0-42147600-1435011175_thumb.jpg

Will probably be the last run of the layout for a wee while as we're off to see the real thing for a few weeks, already have some new stock to bring back, a short rake of Rapido LRC coaches has beaten me to my aunt's house by a few days!!

Cheers

Craig

Archived