1970s Advertising hoarding posters

RANGERS

Guest Max Stafford

Hell, Jimmy was taking a chance mixing vertical stripes on his blazer with horizontal stripes on his tie!

What was the boy thinking? ;)

Dave.

It's hard to place an ad exactly but some inventive Googling can help.

Print cigarette advertising was still legal in the 1970s so Benson & Hedges, Silk Cut, presumably Marlboro were present in the UK. It's easy to find 'Marlboro Man' graphics on-line. These were certainly still big in the 1970s. I distinctly remember a large Peter Styyvesant moving billboard - it was fascinating to watch. I think there was a Manhattan photo and brand+tag line and another image that rotated in vertical tiles.

Coke had launched their "It's the real thing" campaign - Coke tends to be ubiquitous. Coke images are all over the web, like this one.

Beanz Meanz Heinz should still have been writ large in the 1970s. I expect it also appeared on billboards, though I can't date the image in the link.

Cars are always big. There's lot's of images searching for 'British Leyland advert'. This is a print ad, but you could sneak it into a poster.

BMW had launched their "Ultimate Driving Machine" campaign in 1975. I don't know if this extended to posters. I did see plenty of 1970s BMW ads on eBay, which was a bit weird.

This list is American, but it gives a flavour of what what going on (ad-wise) in the 1970s. This one is British.

Hope this helps.

Cars are always big. There's lot's of images searching for 'British Leyland advert'.

I did find a web site with 500 different promotional photos for minis. Lots of classic promotional photos like this plus print ads.

Keep looking - it's out there.

I did see some pictures from Picadilly Circus in the 1960s. Wrigley's Spearmint gum and BP were quite evident.

Edited ...

Bingo. Try these guys. You might have to pay for their images.

The trouble with those is that most of them are magazine adverts, not posters.

I had the same issue with the hoardings on Pallet Lane and ended up producing this from 2 posters as you occasionally saw 2 half width adverts together:

post-7400-009410900 1286824331_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I'm looking for some posters for 1970s advertising hoardings but I'm struggling to find suitable images on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas for websites where these can be found?

Hello

Might any of these be of interest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200993420044?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200996316455?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

These are relisted from time to time so keep checking.   If the links expire - try typing Billboard 1970's into ebay search.

Archived