Hull Model Railway Show

peterl

Wooddale is packed and ready to go! Just need to find my passport and visa for the trip across the water!

And the mortgage for the bridge tolls  :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing you at the Costello Stadium

Peter

Barriers etc now all ready for loading and taking to the Costello Stadium.  Off to get the catering suppliers etc for the exhibitors.  For those attending with a layout etc the first thing to be set up this afternoon will be the tea urn  :drink_mini: 

Peter

Well ive just finished moving house (at the wrong side of the Humber for this one now ...) I'm just about to try and find the boxes and all the bits to "Barton Ings" and have a pre exhibition "play"... nothing like being prepared eh???

I'll look frorward to seeing the tea urn, but will not be until the morning for me.

Charlie

So where are you now then Charlie? should you change your forum name :lol: - PM me with your new address for my records, cheers

Ian

perhaps I should change my forum name but i dont quite fancy being "ScunnyCharlie" ?????, hahahahaha......

PM sent Ian,

Cheers Charlie

PS anyone driving from the South, Glance down to your left just as you go onto the Humber Bridge & you can see the "real tileworks" I've attempted to model.....

Paid a visit today as the second leg of a double header beginning with Spalding this morning.

I spent a couple of hours and thoroughly enjoyed the show, but I have to confess to leaving with some mixed feelings on the show overall.

As ever the layouts were excellent and the atmosphere very friendly, however there was a lot of wasted space which could have been utilised better with more layouts, and additional trade to help pay for them. Compared to Spalding, which was too crowded, on both sides of the barriers, Hull seemed to have had a number of exhibits which hadn't turned up, sizeable gaps between a number of exhibits were noticeable.

Nonetheless, a very good show and well worth even my 250mile round trip, but one which could be even better.

• RMweb Gold

Paid a visit today as the second leg of a double header beginning with Spalding this morning.

I spent a couple of hours and thoroughly enjoyed the show, but I have to confess to leaving with some mixed feelings on the show overall.

As ever the layouts were excellent and the atmosphere very friendly, however there was a lot of wasted space which could have been utilised better with more layouts, and additional trade to help pay for them. Compared to Spalding, which was too crowded, on both sides of the barriers, Hull seemed to have had a number of exhibits which hadn't turned up, sizeable gaps between a number of exhibits were noticeable.

Nonetheless, a very good show and well worth even my 250mile round trip, but one which could be even better.

Not sure how many miles I travelled but having left home at 06.50 and braved the peculiar service delights of LUL - pus a complete tour of the station at KX as a consequence of the rebuilding works - and got home at 1935 after duly avoiding London. Was it worth the trip? Yes, but also with a few reservations as it seemed a bit 'emptier' compared with the last time I was there.

So notwithstanding meeting some great folk and seeing some good layouts - and one remarkable one - I had a few misgivings. I overheard some moans about parking (didn't affect me) and I do wonder if the venue is entirely suited as getting to it by public transport is a bit of a bind for a stranger to the local 'bus routes. But then what alternatives might there be as I understand a former city centre venue has priced itself out of contention? But altho' it is clearly in a residential area, and is a 2 day event with attractive entry pricingreasonable, the show seemed to have fewer visitors compared with Wycrail last week. That might be a 'regional' thing of course but I too think it could be even better (and I still hope to attend next yearbiggrin.gif).

For me, this was first visit and it's turned out to be good value. I combined the trip with a research visit to the NRM archive yesterday, and also fitted in some exploration of Hull and its outskirts by bus during the day. Thank goodness it wasn't raining.

There were spells of crowding around the popular layouts, as one would expect, yet generally there was enough room at the barriers of all the exhibits. I was glad of the seats provided as I prefer not to be on my feet too long at a time.

The exhibits I particularly liked were the scratchbuilt signals, and the building construction demonstrations of Ray Hogben and Peter Goss - both of these were most inspiring, and made me yearn to resume my modelling of trams and the buildings and land to surround them.

A good day was rounded off with a satisfactory journey back to North-West London.

8.00pm. North of England Line and Haymarket Cross safely put to bed. Thanks to the Hull lads for a fantastic weekend. All eight of us had a memorable show, not least because N.O.E.L. was booked into the hotel as 2 DOUBLE rooms!!!! :blush_mini: Managed to get it sorted though. The show seemed very busy in parts, so I hope Hull MRS considered it was a success. We certainly had some very positive feedback, despite having our usual attack of gremlins. Thanks to Hull once again...you did us proud.

As the exhibition manager and person responsible for the hall plan, every bit of space was there for a reason. Having been to too many shows as a trader where everything is crammed in with little thought given to rear access (or you are expected to pay for it), I like to leave 2' clear between stands. This gives us a bit of leeway against inaccurate marking out, and inaccurate supplied dimensions. It also helps prevent stands being "bumped into" by their neighbours, with the consequent risk of damage. Perhaps the biggest gap was between the second hand stall and Timpdon Lake - both were near the main entrance, so we need "free-flow" here, and experience has taught me that the former can be very busy (three deep at times in past years), and I expected Timpdon Lake to be popular, being somewhat different to the usual. They had also requested four-sided viewing, and that was the only place it would fit without wasting far more space elsewhere.

One new feature this year was the seating area near the demonstrators, which was deliberately provided to give people somewhere to sit down without feeling an obligation to buy something in the cafeteria, which is the only other seating area we have.

As for trade, if you know who these traders are who are clamouring to come to Hull, we'd love to know their names. But on the other hand we have just about all subjects covered at present, and any extra would lead to duplication. I don't think we are a big enough show (in terms of numbers through the door) for this to be to the traders' benefit. Also, we did have 19 layouts this year, against our usual average of 15 or so.

BTW, everything that was booked did turn up.

So to summarise - yes we could get more in, but with less room for everyone to move around. Rename it Spalding perhaps?

Leave it as it is, Andrew. It's nice to be able to walk around without bouncing off everyone else and stand chatting to people without blocking up the whole show. It makes the whole experience much more relaxed. I thought the selection of layouts this year was consistently good without there being anything really outstanding - Stealth Bomber apart, but I've seen it half a dozen times now. Still found new things to look at on there - perhaps this was the least crowded show where I've seen it. The Ormesby contingent went away well pleased with a good day out. We managed to park nearer than usual, but I'm not sure if that was because we were earlier this year or there wasn't so much congestion.

Seating area - more shows should do this. Two of my party have bad knees and found it very welcome. Putting it opposite the demonstrators was a good idea. York Modelmaking impressed me - not just the quality of the product but the friendly 'pick it up and have a good look' approach without overtly trying to sell you anything. Pete Goss didn't lose anything by being next to them either; I suspect there's another minor masterpiece brewing there.

Caught a couple of glimpses of Mr. Pennine but never crossed paths, so "Hello Ian, how are you doing?"

Archived