Are some Dorset folks both daft and dopey at the same time ?, or is it nationwide ?

Hi All.

This appears to be a situation very much the same as the Wareham pedestrian/rail crossing dispute (see the Wareham Gatso camera thread on the old RMweb).

Here's the link.

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=7&t=51488

It seems like, the otherwise law abiding public ?, are still willing to risk their own life, due to their selfish actions, and in so doing, affect the well being of any one else around them, including the rail staff trying to ensure these idiot's safety.

Here's the link to the local newspaper's report. :-

http://www.bournemou...rier_in_10_days.

Regards.

Edited, at last, to link to Gary H's thread on the old forum.

Just returned from a weekend in poole and people at the crossing are terrible, i was in the town on saturday only to witness a elderly gentleman on a electric death trap(wheelchair) or whatever there called, attempt to cross as the barriers where lowering only to be wacked on the head on the opposite side. plane stupidity!!!

Just returned from a weekend in poole and people at the crossing are terrible, i was in the town on saturday only to witness a elderly gentleman on a electric death trap(wheelchair) or whatever there called, attempt to cross as the barriers where lowering only to be wacked on the head on the opposite side. plane stupidity!!!

It doesnt suprise me its not everyone but theres a fair majority of people misunderstanding warnings

I don't think it's limited purely to Dorset, but it's a problem at Wareham as well apparently: http://news.bbc.co.u...set/8304474.stm

Isn't that Vicky Pollard?

Unfortunately the actions of a few impact on the more sensible majority. Pedestrian crossings will go, and unnecessary footbridges end up being added, ultimately adding to tax burden and rail fares.

N

Isn't that Vicky Pollard?

Unfortunately the actions of a few impact on the more sensible majority. Pedestrian crossings will go, and unnecessary footbridges end up being added, ultimately adding to tax burden and rail fares.

N

I live in the area. The Poole crossing is only there because it is the only safe pedestrian access from the Dolphin Shopping Centre to the town High street. There is no alternative for pedestrians. To close this crossing would cut the High Street which is fully pedestrianised, in half. These traders who are currently 'shopping' these pedestrians would see a dramatic reduction in trade if this crossing closes.

There is a footbridge which is very old, steep and narrow. Obviously, pushchairs and mobility scooters would be unable to use the High Street.

There is a plan to rebuild Poole and include a new crossing where the current Bus Station vehicle pound is. This would kill Kingsland Crescent and Trafalgar Square.

This crossing is very busy on Saturdays and this is a fairly busy mainline. I have been included in the upto ten minute closure delay and the resultant log jam of pedestrians in both directions has resulted in further frustration and time lost.

I very much doubt that the railway and the local Council will ever be able to agree to a permanent closure of this crossing unless and until the footbridge is upgraded to include disabled and buggy access which the crossing does.

I am not familiar with the Wareham one but I note that it has no gates at all and the lady in question was actually fully across the crossing a few seconds before the train passed. A near miss then.

I am not condoning this behaviour but must point out that this is an ungated crossing used by sentient adults who are quite capable of making their own decisions and showing videos of successful decisions is not helping the cause of education. In other words, 'so what, she made it? I would have done the same? What's the problem?'

I already know the answers to the above questions but that's me (and some/most/all of us(?)). So how would you deal with that mindset and where?

Closing pedestrian crossings over railways won't deter the candidates for the Darwin Awards, check this out:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4721265.Teenager_falls_from_railway_bridge/

Pete

The original report states "....The 18-year-old had been walking over a railway bridge in Northam with a friend when he slipped and fell onto the line below.", eventually we get a comment by the friend who was with him at the time (1.30am on his 18th Birthday) that in fact he did not fall on the line, but the verge beside the line, and that trains were able to pass OK. Question.... are there that many trains after 1.30am at Northam, Southampton.

Of course I accept that he must have been doing something stupid to end up below the bridge, 18th Birthday? you'd have thought he would have been at home with his parents watching some wholesome DVD on that special birthday.

Penlan

• RMweb Gold

I live in the area. The Poole crossing is only there because it is the only safe pedestrian access from the Dolphin Shopping Centre to the town High street. There is no alternative for pedestrians. To close this crossing would cut the High Street which is fully pedestrianised, in half. These traders who are currently 'shopping' these pedestrians would see a dramatic reduction in trade if this crossing closes.

There is a footbridge which is very old, steep and narrow. Obviously, pushchairs and mobility scooters would be unable to use the High Street.

There is a plan to rebuild Poole and include a new crossing where the current Bus Station vehicle pound is. This would kill Kingsland Crescent and Trafalgar Square.

This crossing is very busy on Saturdays and this is a fairly busy mainline. I have been included in the upto ten minute closure delay and the resultant log jam of pedestrians in both directions has resulted in further frustration and time lost.

I very much doubt that the railway and the local Council will ever be able to agree to a permanent closure of this crossing unless and until the footbridge is upgraded to include disabled and buggy access which the crossing does.

I am not familiar with the Wareham one but I note that it has no gates at all and the lady in question was actually fully across the crossing a few seconds before the train passed. A near miss then.

I am not condoning this behaviour but must point out that this is an ungated crossing used by sentient adults who are quite capable of making their own decisions and showing videos of successful decisions is not helping the cause of education. In other words, 'so what, she made it? I would have done the same? What's the problem?'

I already know the answers to the above questions but that's me (and some/most/all of us(?)). So how would you deal with that mindset and where?

Judging by the film the 'adult' misusing the crossing at Wareham was neither sentient nor capable of making a rational decision - she ran straight past a red light and looked to neither the left or the right as she ran onto the railway. All it needed was a fast train coming from left of view and it would have been black plastic sack time for the poor unfortunates who had to clear up the resultant mess.

The message at level crossings is remarkably simple but frequently ignored - a red light means do not pass this sign/barrier and venture onto the railway because a train is approaching.

The answer at Wareham is simple - build a bridge - which is exactly what NR offfered to the County Council, who turned it down. NR tried, the Council couldn't be bothered (probably on cost grounds?) so they clearly put a monetary value on a few Wareham lives and decided they wouldn't be as expensive as a bridge.

The answer in Poole is equally simple - build a bridge with lifts as well as stairs - but that assumes land is available to do it and the Council is prepared to carry their share of the cost (I don't know if NR would be willing to carry their share but perhaps they would).

The simple answer to problems like these is public education and respect for the system. Clearly there is something missing in the respect part of that equation at both Poole & Wareham and no doubt that will continue to be the case until someone is killed or seriously injured - as a result of their own decision (although no doubt every effort will be made to 'blame' someone, anyone, else for it).

Judging by the film the 'adult' misusing the crossing at Wareham was neither sentient nor capable of making a rational decision - she ran straight past a red light and looked to neither the left or the right as she ran onto the railway. All it needed was a fast train coming from left of view and it would have been black plastic sack time for the poor unfortunates who had to clear up the resultant mess.

The message at level crossings is remarkably simple but frequently ignored - a red light means do not pass this sign/barrier and venture onto the railway because a train is approaching.

The answer at Wareham is simple - build a bridge - which is exactly what NR offfered to the County Council, who turned it down. NR tried, the Council couldn't be bothered (probably on cost grounds?) so they clearly put a monetary value on a few Wareham lives and decided they wouldn't be as expensive as a bridge.

The answer in Poole is equally simple - build a bridge with lifts as well as stairs - but that assumes land is available to do it and the Council is prepared to carry their share of the cost (I don't know if NR would be willing to carry their share but perhaps they would).

The simple answer to problems like these is public education and respect for the system. Clearly there is something missing in the respect part of that equation at both Poole & Wareham and no doubt that will continue to be the case until someone is killed or seriously injured - as a result of their own decision (although no doubt every effort will be made to 'blame' someone, anyone, else for it).

At the end of the day, it all comes back to education. Wether its with machinery, weaponry or public ways, if you don't follow the instructions, it will either kill you or injure you.

Unfortunately it seems to be a sad fact that no matter what the level of education or warnings, some people will opt to ignore them anyway. We have a similar arrangement near me, albeit a road crossing, (at Wylam) and it amazes me how many people you see rushing the barriers instead of just using the footbridge or waiting.

• RMweb Gold

I posted this on the old forum showing a previous example of level crossing stupidity

LEVEL HEADED

From the Bournemouth Daily Echo, first published Friday 6th Feb 2004.

SHOCKED shoppers watched in horror as a youngster was lifted 15ft by a level-crossing barrier and left hanging in the air.

The three-year-old had rested his foot on the bottom rail of the barrier as he watched a train go past and still had his foot there when it lifted up.

A number of people tried to grab the youngster as he was hoisted upwards.

Two men who were passing by came to the rescue and climbed up to pull the boy down.

A similar incident happened at the railway crossing in Poole High Street last year when another youngster was lifted into the air by one of the barriers.

Now a warning has been made to parents to keep their children away from the barrier when it is in operation.

The latest drama happened shortly before midday on Wednesday as shoppers waited for the barriers to lift.

##### #####, of #########, was standing behind her young son ####### as he watched a passing train.

"He had his foot on the barrier and there was a whoosh as the barrier lifted. It was really quite scary," said #####, of ############ #######.

"It happened so quickly and the barrier doesn't look strong enough to hold a child up.

"A few people tried to grab ####### as he was lifted up, then two blokes climbed up and got him. He wasn't hurt but he was shocked."

##### said: "Maybe there should be some sort of warning to tell people the barriers are about to lift up. There should be something to make parents and the little ones aware."

She also praised the actions of the two Good Samaritans who rescued her son but left before she was able to thank them.

Donna Casey, media relations manager for Network Rail, said pedestrians using level crossings should not place their feet on the barriers.

She added: "The crossing at Poole is safe and is clearly marked with white lines for pedestrians to wait behind so that they do not go too close to the barriers and put themselves at risk.

"We would appeal to parents to ensure that their children do not climb or abuse railway equipment, such as level crossings, which contain moving parts, and wait behind the white line clearly marked on the highway."

Just out of interest is the level crossing at Poole High Street unique being a busy mainline crossing a fully pedestrianised street?

The High Street level crossing in Poole is very well used, as the photo below shows. But there's plenty of signage and warning lights/alarms before the barriers are lowered. However there are some daft folk down here in Dorset...............

It'd be a pity if the footbridge here was removed as it's the original from when the line opened in 1874 (though the actual date of manufacture of the bridge was 1872).

post-6880-12576933339316_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This would kill Kingsland Crescent and Trafalgar Square.

Falkland square probably unless there's a new rail line in London David laugh.gif

Yes everyone is in too much of a rush these days to wait for the minute the barriers are usually down for. They are incapable of popping into Smiths or the pasty shop to waste a minute. They assume the barriers will stop instantly, if the Signalman sees them it still takes a second or so to react plus the momentum of the boom. Signalmen have been bouncing booms off idiots on foot and in cars all over the country for years simply because they can't wait. Now if BTP had a load of plain clothes officers that spent a day a week covering such locations on their area, so each one covered say once or twice a month, and the press covered it as a crime would we make them think before doing it? I know BTP would struggle to find the resources but if they thought they might get fined then who knows.

• 1 year later...

A couple of giant guillotine blades, the full width of the crossing, anyone ? The blades to fall, of course, from a great height, with a linkage mechanism to open a large pit under the tracks, to catch any missed by the blades. Messy, but effective.

Dennis

Saw a film on here early this year in Australia a cycle and pedstrian crossing on a surburban line didnt look to complecated or expensive but I bet if it was done over here it would cost a fortune and would take months of talks before it was built.A crossing on the Aylesbury Risboro line is a favourite for race the barriers one aproach is fairly staight and fast with the crossing out of sight round a bend,local idiots think they are invincible.

Unfortunately simply building a pedestrian bridge may, in this instance, not have been possible due to the way in which streets are pedestrianised. Pedestrianisation is done via a process known as a Traffic Regulation Order which can be used to remove rights for higher order users (in this case motor vehicles) but does not fully extinguish these rights. Therefore the Council has a duty to ensure that if the Order is revoked in the future that the route has not been compromised by the structure supporting a pedestrian bridge.

Full extinguishment of higher order rights requires a more labourious legal process that is open to objections and further legal scrutiny.

That MIGHT be why they did not build a bridge in this particular scenario.

Morning All,

I've just had a brilliant idea!

Replace red lights and lifting barriers at level crossings with big white gates controlled by a great big wheel in an adjoining signal box. The gates could have big red discs on them to make them more visible, and a red lamp on top for night time.

The signalman in the adjoining box would have an overall view of the crossing from his lofty viewpoint and would make sure that the crossing was completely clear of vehicles and people before pulling a lever to lock the gates; this would include separate smaller gates to the side for pedestrians.

Then, and only then, would he be able to clear the signals for the approaching train/s.

A spin off would be that it would also create employment which would be espcially welcome in areas of high unemployment. For smaller or less used crossings, a cottage could be built next to the crossing and the crossing keeper could actually live on the job which would also help the homelessness situation as well as the unemployment situation.

Nobody would get killed or injured, trains would not be delayed or cancelled and the newpapers would not have any sensational anti-railway stories to write about. A win-win-win situation all round.

Morning All,

I've just had a brilliant idea!

Replace red lights and lifting barriers at level crossings with big white gates controlled by a great big wheel in an adjoining signal box. The gates could have big red discs on them to make them more visible, and a red lamp on top for night time.

The signalman in the adjoining box would have an overall view of the crossing from his lofty viewpoint and would make sure that the crossing was completely clear of vehicles and people before pulling a lever to lock the gates; this would include separate smaller gates to the side for pedestrians.

Then, and only then, would he be able to clear the signals for the approaching train/s.

A spin off would be that it would also create employment which would be espcially welcome in areas of high unemployment. For smaller or less used crossings, a cottage could be built next to the crossing and the crossing keeper could actually live on the job which would also help the homelessness situation as well as the unemployment situation.

Nobody would get killed or injured, trains would not be delayed or cancelled and the newpapers would not have any sensational anti-railway stories to write about. A win-win-win situation all round.

Oi you. None of this joined up thinking and common sense :laugh:

Archived