Bachmann 150/1 Sprinter

neal

Just spotted this one on a well known web-retailer's site.

They are offering the 150/1 Sprinter as packaged in a DCC set for ??155.

More remarkably, also for sale is the two car unit split from the set DCC fitted for ??57.00

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=26692

I cannot warrant one of these as I have two already, but it may be of interest to other members.

Neal

Yeah Gary,

Sprinter livery was the 'provincial' livery that the sprinter classes wore from new. They were given the sprinter logo and in the case of the 156 the super sprinter logo, while other classes such as the 142 and 143 were outshopped in provincial blue and blue, 144s went to West Yorkshire with red and the thick cream band, and the 158s wore 'Express' livery. These eventually combined to the standard Regional Railways colours, based on the provincial scheme in the run up to privitisation as the various areas were sectored to become geographical areas of operation that could then be franchised off. All, eventually wore the standard regional railways livery, save the 158s that kept Express and the few variations were the Tyne and Wear yellow, Merseyrail yellow and th GMPTE grey and white.

Hope that helps....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Black Hat.

So would this livery on a 150/1 have been seen sort of late 80's at the earliest?

I am trying to ascertain the earliest time period these units wore the "Sprinter" livery.

Many thanks.

Garry

Edit.

In my search I am finding plenty of pictures of 150/2's in the same livery around 1987/88 so as the 150/1 came out before them , then I assume its a safe bet I will be ok with this 150148 edition running in the late 80's?

I'm sure this came up in a few threads on the old forum so worth a look. 150148 originally had the light blue livery ala the trains4u special edition model. The earliest fotopic site of 148 in sprinter livery is around 1990/1, I believe it was given this paint job when they first put 150/2 cars in the set to make a 3 car, but I could be wrong, there is a good fotopic image of this unit with sprinter and original liveries together :? 150 mixed liveries

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information, I did look through the threads in the old RMWeb but still could not ascertain what time period this livery is from.

Sprinter livery was the 'provincial' livery that the sprinter classes wore from new.

.......These eventually combined to the standard Regional Railways colours, based on the provincial scheme in the run up to privitisation.........

150148 originally had the light blue livery ala the trains4u special edition model. The earliest fotopic site of 148 in sprinter livery is around 1990/1,

So now I am confused.

Was the light blue livery from the trains4u version before or after the version of the livery on the model.

I was under the impression the "Sprinter" livery was the first livery before the trains4u version and RR.

Maybe I am thinking about it too much and should just buy it lol laugh.gif

It gets confusing because of the sub classes.

Prototype 150/0 began life wearing this livery :? 150 prototype

150/1 started life in the provinicial colours like the trains4u edition? 150110

Then along came the order for the gangwayed version the /2 which was given the Sprinter livery from new? 150231

Things get a little confusing around 1990? 

You have the hybrid versions of the two liveries in question on the /1s :? 150140 hybrid in 1991 ? and as she was in 1988 150140 in 1988

Early RR/Centro green turns up at the end of 1990 start of 91? RR Centro 1991

Network North West liveries start appearing on the 2 car /2s? 150201

I'm no expert and there are other oddities over the liveries thats for sure, only a very small minority of /1s actually got this Sprinter livery thats why it was such an odd decision for Bachmann to produce this one.

So to answer your questions really the 150/2s were the class to start with the sprinter livery. Only a handful of 150/1s got this model livery but it was around from about 1990.

hth

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information, I did look through the threads in the old RMWeb but still could not ascertain what time period this livery is from.

So now I am confused.

Was the light blue livery from the trains4u version before or after the version of the livery on the model.

I was under the impression the "Sprinter" livery was the first livery before the trains4u version and RR.

Maybe I am thinking about it too much and should just buy it lol laugh.gif

The Trains4U version is the original livery for 150/1s - I've a 1990 DMU spotter book which shows this livery on the 150/1 and the Sprinter livery on the 150/2. I can check that tonight to see if any of the /1s had the Sprinter livery in 1990. I suspect - and this is only a guess - that the Sprinter livery which was applied to the 150/2s was added retrospectively to some of the 150/1s to make the 3 car sets (i.e. splitting 150/2s and adding to the 150/1s) and then spread to other 150/1s.

• RMweb Gold

Just found some more information on another forum.

"........back in 1988 some of the class 150/1 sets were re-formed as 3 car units by adding one car of a class 150/2 unit inserted between a 2 car set, this was to help with overcrowding on the cambrian lines as these units were used on the line back then. i believe from 150140 thru to 150150 (apart from 150146) were painted in the 'revised' sprinter livery to match the 150/2 centre car"

So I have ordered one wink.gif

Hopefully one day Bachmann will do a 150/2 in "Sprinter" and I can then make up one of these 3 car sets.

In the meantime its a bargain along with a little bit of "its my railway and I'll run what I like" laugh.gif

Might be tempted by Gareths (Trains4U) offering too.

Thanks to all who have helped me on this.

Garry

PS.

As I write this only 2 left at Hattons now.

Edit.

Now 6, either 4 have cancelled or they are splitting more sets.

See as I mentioned above there are a few oddities around. If the caption is to be believed then 150142 had sprinter livery in 1988 :? 150142 in 1988 which probably also porves James and I's thoery regarding matching colour schemes for the 3 car sets as 150142 is seen here again in 88 but no with a centre car :? 3 cra full set 150142 and one more in Porthmadog? 150142

• RMweb Gold

There's certainly more to it than I thought Dave biggrin.gif

Some other 3 car mixed livery shots here.

http://irishrailwayimages.fotopic.net/p56662224.html

http://irishrailwayimages.fotopic.net/p56662223.html

So if I get the Trains4U version and Bachmann do a 150/2 in Sprinter livery I will be able to get some good running variations.

Expensive, but a bit different to my usual BR Blue stock.

See as I mentioned above there are a few oddities around. If the caption is to be believed then 150142 had sprinter livery in 1988 :? 150142 in 1988 which probably also porves James and I's thoery regarding matching colour schemes for the 3 car sets as 150142 is seen here again in 88 but no with a centre car :? 3 cra full set 150142 and one more in Porthmadog? 150142

Here's 150142 separated. I posted this on the old forum but thought it would be relevent. Apologies for the quality as 1) I was young, and 2) my camera was rubbish!

post-1105-12574239759554_thumb.jpg

post-1105-12574239837158_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Will this run reasonably well on a non-DCC layout?

I don't see why not, but if you are operating as DC why not take the chip out and sell it.

Then put a blanking plate in.

PS.

I'll have the chip if you dont want itwink.gif

I don't see why not, but if you are operating as DC why not take the chip out and sell it.

Then put a blanking plate in.

PS.

I'll have the chip if you dont want itwink.gif

Excellent stuff on all counts. :D

An order has been duly placed.

I've looked in my Platform 5 guide for Spring 1990...

It looks like the following units received provincial sprinter livery (rather than the original light blue) in early 1990 (or late 1989)...

Interestingly it lists Network Northwest livery (like provincial sprinter but with a largely grey stripe instead of light blue, with red ends I believe) on some of the 150/2s...

Network North West liveries start appearing on the 2 car /2s? 150201

hth

There's certainly more to it than I thought Dave biggrin.gif

Some other 3 car mixed livery shots here.

http://irishrailwayi.../p56662224.html

http://irishrailwayi.../p56662223.html

So if I get the Trains4U version and Bachmann do a 150/2 in Sprinter livery I will be able to get some good running variations.

Expensive, but a bit different to my usual BR Blue stock.

Those were the photos I was looking for, they were on the old forum too, great pics. The link above shows the Network Northwest livery James. I always liked that livery and it had a nice ring to it especially being the direct opposite to NSE.

Archived