Get Matthew Frothing!

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Matthew decided not to reintroduce a number of our etched kits because he was not happy with the whitemetal casting coming out of our antique moulds.

This has left him at a bit at a loose end. I suggested that he look at the Brighton D3 and the Wainwright J, of which we have some bodies already cast, but I think he is reluctant to offer these dinosaurs.

As I have been selling these kits since before he started school I know there are modellers out there still wanting them, so can you help me by emailing and telling him you want one. Because of their age I have kept them artificially cheap, but after the swingeing rise in the price of whitemetal they will have to be more expensive.

Roger

Probably not a prospective buyer but wouldn't wish to give the wrong impression - I have sort of given up building w/m kits and still have a stack of DJH and others that should be started.... once the growing stack of etched kits diminishes.

That loco does look smart, Eric, I don't suppose you could add much more on what the kit was like to build and what options were taken regarding additions.

Roger, Could you add just what the kit contains? Perhaps a general photo of the parts and recommendations wheels, motor etc. Being described as a "dinosaur" and from "antique moulds" doesn't exactly make a good sales pitch (even if true) as some of us cast our minds back to the NuCast thread and discussions there.

Is there a demand? Haven't a clue TBH :( How many many modelers still build w/m kits?, How many of those have an affection for LSBR?, Is there any competition, more recent, etched kits?

I guess this is the dilemma every loco kit manufacturer faces.

PS. that post has at least bumped this thread back into the Active Topics ;)

• RMweb Gold

Burgundy's model looks the part, certainly, which suggests that the kit can't be far out. These were Bob Billinton's first design for the Brighton, and had a bit of Midland influence, as he'd been senior draughtsman at Derby under Johnson for the previous 16 years. They were also the first class of bogie tanks on the Brighton, so a bit of a landmark. Most of them (there were 36) survived into BR ownership, too, so era isn't essential. The first of them, Goldsmid, was immortalised on the LBSC enginemen's cap badge.

Sadly, the chances of a finished model of my making looking half as good as Burgundy's example are only marginally better than the survival of the famous snowball in a flushing cistern, so a purchase is not in prospect.

That loco does look smart, Eric, I don't suppose you could add much more on what the kit was like to build and what options were taken regarding additions.

Roger, Could you add just what the kit contains? Perhaps a general photo of the parts and recommendations wheels, motor etc. Being described as a "dinosaur" and from "antique moulds" doesn't exactly make a good sales pitch (even if true) as some of us cast our minds back to the NuCast thread and discussions there.

Kenton

It is a little while since I built this loco but my recollection is that it came straight out of the box, with only the usual additions of wheels, motor and gears. I build to EM and a quick check suggests that there is some metal removed from under the footplate to clear the crankpins. That aside, I think it all went together pretty well and I don't recall any of the issues described in the Nu-Cast thread. In short, a straightforward cast kit, with the main challenge being how to get the right balance around the trailing bogie - which I gather is an endemic problem on 0-4-4s.

As Modelling Steward for the Brighton Circle, I am not aware of any more recent kit for this type - so if you want a D3, this is it!

And is there demand? Well, D3s lasted into BR days (one even managed to down a FW190 in 1942), so it is suitable for any steam era, southern layout (although I think the class stayed mostly near to the Central section). But why would anybody want to paint it in SR or BR colours? Brighton modelling is going strong at present, with kits for pretty well all the Stroudley and Billinton classes and transfers available for the Stroudley livery (which is how this model of St Leonards was lined out).

Hope this helps

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Eric. My friend Ian came to the AGM a few rears back with the suggestion from me that I would consider redesigning it as a super dooper etched kit and the reply came back, it ain't broke don't fix it.

I seem to remember they said they woild prefer an E3, perhaps you can remember.

Roger

Long live the Brighton Line!

Thanks Eric. My friend Ian came to the AGM a few rears back with the suggestion from me that I would consider redesigning it as a super dooper etched kit and the reply came back, it ain't broke don't fix it.

I seem to remember they said they woild prefer an E3, perhaps you can remember.

Roger

Long live the Brighton Line!

Roger

The lack of an E3 has now been satisfied in etched brass, thanks to EBM. See

http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/page27.html

But I should be happy to give the D3 a plug in the next set of Brighton Circular Modelling Notes if you would provide me with the current details

Eric

Snip...And is there demand? Well, D3s lasted into BR days (one even managed to down a FW190 in 1942), so it is suitable for any steam era, southern layout (although I think the class stayed mostly near to the Central section). But why would anybody want to paint it in SR or BR colours? Brighton modelling is going strong at present, with kits for pretty well all the Stroudley and Billinton classes and transfers available for the Stroudley livery (which is how this model of St Leonards was lined out).

Hope this helps

Eric

Interesting to see you say that as someone (can't remember who) claimed that pre-BR numbers were falling and retailers were struggling to sell loco's in big 4 colours. Have to say, for myself, I'd rather see more pre-grouping colours to brighten a layout up a bit. But then me and my dad run anything we want on our layout....

• 1 month later...

Update on the D3 and Wainwright J kits

Thankyou for you emails regarding the above kits. We are in the final stages of getting these kits ready to go. They will be packed and dispached as 'Chivers Finelines' kits. The kit will be all the usual Chivers features.

cast white metal body, etch chassis, bearings, handrail knobs (if kit requires), handrail wire(if kit requires), etc

Price on each of these kits will be £45.

Five79.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys and girls,

It's been a long time I know, but I can now confirm that a batch of Brighton D3 and Wainwright J kits will be available within the next 5 to 7 days. Due to personal reasons we have been delayed in getting these out, these delays are out of the way and Five79 is in the process of getting all products back in stock, which includes the etched brass LNER CCT's, LMS Reverse Stanier, and the GC Fish Van.

Please email before sending any order to avoid disapointment. Matt@ngrm-online.com or Sales@five79.co.uk

The website has yet to be updated.

All the best,

Matt Chivers.

Update on the D3 and Wainwright J kits

Thankyou for you emails regarding the above kits. We are in the final stages of getting these kits ready to go. They will be packed and dispached as 'Chivers Finelines' kits. The kit will be all the usual Chivers features.

cast white metal body, etch chassis, bearings, handrail knobs (if kit requires), handrail wire(if kit requires), etc

Price on each of these kits will be £45.

Five79.

The D3 and Wainwright J are ready NOW!!

We can accept Cheque or Paypal.

Thankyou.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the SECR J available again, i remember building one for a customer many years ago, (probably when i was 17?) and from what i remember it is a good kit, in fact i'm sure i built the whole loco in a day and had it working at a exhibition!

The D3 and Wainwright J are ready NOW!!

We can accept Cheque or Paypal.

Thankyou.

Archived