DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys, the running COULD be better, but I think that's the best we can achieve, given the starting point.  There are still issues with doing the holding screw up tight, due to the various distortions in the bodywork, so I think the best thing to do is leave it loose.  The screw can be secured with a touch of glue, and as the nut is highly visible just inside the cab, access to it is not a problem.

The other issue is  the four-wheel-only pickup.  If I was starting this kit I would fit pickups on the tender; but as it is soldered up in one piece with the wheels trapped, I don't think this is an option.  I will investigate further.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

Thanks guys, the running COULD be better, but I think that's the best we can achieve, given the starting point.  There are still issues with doing the holding screw up tight, due to the various distortions in the bodywork, so I think the best thing to do is leave it loose.  The screw can be secured with a touch of glue, and as the nut is highly visible just inside the cab, access to it is not a problem.

The other issue is  the four-wheel-only pickup.  If I was starting this kit I would fit pickups on the tender; but as it is soldered up in one piece with the wheels trapped, I don't think this is an option.  I will investigate further.

Cheers, Dave.

I think I see what you mean about the running, but it's acceptable (and as you say, many a mile from the starting point). I would not be so concerned about four-wheel pick up; all my four-coupled locos work perfectly well with no additional assistance, though mostly because they have no option!

Adam

• RMweb Premium

I am very reluctant to do anything to the tender; it's generally well put together, nice and square etc; but its in one piece only and can't be dismantled in any way.  This makes it very difficult to retro-fit any pickup system without wrecking it, and its the best bit of the model.

The final issue is the lining, Its hand-lined and a bit wonky in places.  I don't have anything in the way of transfers to be able to re-do those massive curly splashers, or a lining-pen (and I've never used one)  so I'm just going to do what I can to tidy up the worst bits.

Does that sound ok Tony?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I am very reluctant to do anything to the tender; it's generally well put together, nice and square etc; but its in one piece only and can't be dismantled in any way.  This makes it very difficult to retro-fit any pickup system without wrecking it, and its the best bit of the model.

The final issue is the lining, Its hand-lined and a bit wonky in places.  I don't have anything in the way of transfers to be able to re-do those massive curly splashers, or a lining-pen (and I've never used one)  so I'm just going to do what I can to tidy up the worst bits.

Does that sound ok Tony?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

I think you have already worked miracles, so what you are saying sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

In due course perhaps I will weather it, which should hide whatever paint defects remain.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Turning my attention to the paintwork on the T6, the olive green is very good, with a really nice even finish.  The black though is for a start actually glossier than the green, and in places so uneven that it appears as pools.  Some of these thick bits have simply flaked off with handling, revealing the unprepared brass underneath.  So where this has happened I've rubbed it down and blackened the brass.  Over this I've painted Humbrol 85 Satin Black, which is quite an improvement. 

I've also started touching in the white lining with a fine brush, and once that is hard I'll attempt to do the black lining.

Photos when its finished.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is how it currently looks.  Hmmm, not much different from Tony's original....

742989997_TonysT6.jpg.9f7c220e70d218e0c971697ffc8473a1.jpg

Lining is marginally less wonky than before, but probably the best I can do with a brush, or without stripping it and starting again.

One or two bit have dropped off and need refitting, and I see the vacuum pipe has got bent.

142330455_IMG_4355small.jpg.d4af4a757a958748f10362c517d65d02.jpg

Still, at least it works, and I hope Tony will no longer feel the need to take a sledgehammer to it!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Dave

May not look to different but having seen it move without being pushed, I know that it is a very different loco.

A bit of weathering should hide the worst of the lining, so I am very happy.

Thank you for your amazing efforts!

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony,

Some of the lining transfers have got got damaged with handling and are being replaced.  The boiler bands etc are pressfix transfers, so that's not an issue.  The rearmost boiler band (in line with the safety valves) wasn't there in the first place, so I'll add that.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I think I've taken this loco as far as I can without actually starting again!  

I've added the missing boiler bands, and replaced some other crumbly transfers.  There's still a couple of things to stick back on (front coupling, axle-nut covers) and painting the safety-valve cover green.

But then I think I'm going to leave it there, if thats ok with Tony?

628167466_IMG_4359small.jpg.8b6689583a5310dcad91e477e6f32834.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Having thought I had cured all the various ills of this loco, I was still getting some very annoying grinding and jerkiness in the running.

I've gone back to the gearbox (Branchlines Multibox, 40:1 I think) and having said it was fine earlier, I now find that it isn't.  Too much sideplay on the wormwheel leading to grinding in one direction (forwards...) and its shaft coming too far out of the side of the box and rubbing on the frame.

Soooo, I've removed it and taken it to bits...

• RMweb Premium

Ok, gearbox now running beautifully, but movement still jerky.  Maybe over-large coupling rod holes causing binding?  Bushed them but still the same. 

Then perhaps I should have noticed earlier, but main axle bearing are slack, and axles can move around too much.  So next plan to open them out and re-bush.

Maybe it would have been better to start again...

• RMweb Premium

Your determination is amazing, but I am worried that what you are doing might be, as we say, "lipstick on a pig" - it is still a pig! :jester:

I reckon all it needs now is the splasher lining redone and it will look a treat!  I don't have any transfers that will suit, and it would need a lining pen to do it justice.  Maybe its time I bought one!