DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2018 at 16:08, DLT said:

Well, at long last I've pretty much finished making bits!  so all I've got to do now (All??) is arrange a tender coupling, paint, line and assemble.

Cheers, Dave.

AND add some below footplate bits.  Firstly sandpipes.  Pretty straightforward, a bit of bent wire soldered into a hole in an appropriate frame spacer.

1192379375_IMG_3131small.jpg.6d00524065ea4833531539c575cfa536.jpg

1723325216_IMG_3125small.jpg.a6d248680008c1003dbbc4b8260d5460.jpg

Apologies for the remnants of the cotton bud used to clean the flux off.

No injectors in the kit, and I've failed to find any.  So it will be a bit of brass tube, some wire and a washer or two.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And the current "state of play" with the loco body.  Looks like it might be time to start painting, and chase up my Model Shop to see if he's got the HMRS Lining Sheet in yet.

13045444_IMG_3118small.jpg.c91d61b4897437abbd04a23f158e2a0e.jpg

2011278188_IMG_3121small.jpg.0f49b543659a684df07d053fec35bfc1.jpg

Two of the best bits of this kit are the gorgeous turned-brass chimney and dome.  Smokebox door is a pretty good whitemetal casting, if a bit plain.  So its livened-up with short bits of bent wire added to the door securing dogs, and an exquisite turned-brass smokebox dart from Alan Gibson Workshop.  Gibson also provided the buffers, while the vacuum and steam-heat pipes are from Branchlines.

779509929_IMG_3124small.jpg.e221703b15a875e996cdb83ae9a11d3f.jpg

That's all for now,

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

Yes; although it is missing its sandboxes on the front splasher and I suspect it will be painted in the wrong shade of green!!

It should look like this...............

I would suggest that those two are also in the "wrong shade of green"... :-)

• RMweb Premium

A little bit more "below the footplate" action, this time its the injectors.

I've used the so-called clackvalves in the kit (which bore no resemblance) and made them into injectors.  It just needed the addition of various bits of tinned copper wire, soldered in place and bent to shape.

1650145110_IMG_3135small.jpg.e2b8285a89229d95bb24056f09f2fcb7.jpg

Ok, they are not accurate, but I think they will pass muster on the loco.  Here is one balanced in position.

1803121493_IMG_3136small.jpg.40cb948876d5918ed7aa913d21251f61.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for lack of updates, I've had to move everything around in the workshop in order to deal with a leaking pipe.

And now I've got to get the layout ready for Trainwest next weekend.

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yet again I find myself apologising for the apparent lack of progress!  Firstly there was the pipe leak in the workshop and all that went with it, then the preparation for the (excellent) Trainwest Show, and now (would you Adam and Eve it) another leak!

This time its the shower waste, and its come through the dining room ceiling.  After masses of time wasted on the phone going round in call-centres circles, the leak was fixed this evening and the family can shower again.  The ceiling is a right mess though.

Barring any further catastrophes I WILL be at Taunton on Sunday, and I WILL bring the K10.  The plan for it to be painted by now has gone out of the window, so it will be bare brass.

Yours in hope,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

The very last constructional job on the K10 is the tender drawbar.  As the fixing point for this has to double-up as the chassis/body fixing I've made this:

1269487311_IMG_3144small.jpg.68e9b9b610bc3209fd01b3b4256972d1.jpg

Essentially its a conventional pivoting drawbar, but the screw is held captive by the soldered on nut, allowing it to be screwed in to the captive nut on the footplate, clamping the chassis in place.

1613817214_IMG_3142small.jpg.4735bdbc6bc40770416f25314ecabe63.jpg

1423750548_IMG_3139small.jpg.a36a7919bef8ec3dc47e1f0a73db34c2.jpg

As the tender is the excellent Hornby product, I've utilised a Hornby plug-in lead to carry power from the tender pickups.  Lead is probably still a bit too long at the mo.

These photos also show the bits of lead glued into available cavities to try and provide a bit of weight.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 5

Very nice. I do like the K10. I will get Finney7’s 7mm one when it comes out.

I always compensate 4-4-0's using side beams on the drivers and the bogie pin as the point of the triangle. Then no matter where you put weight as long as it's not ahead of the bogie pin adds weight to the drivers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice. I do like the K10. I will get Finney7’s 7mm one when it comes out.

I always compensate 4-4-0's using side beams on the drivers and the bogie pin as the point of the triangle. Then no matter where you put weight as long as it's not ahead of the bogie pin adds weight to the drivers. 

Thanks for your thoughts Peter.  I have to admit I don't usually think about compensation for running and pickup, but I like that weight distribution idea.

All brasswork has been scrubbed with Ajax, ultrasonically cleaned, and blackened with Carrs.

2051916101_IMG_3156small.jpg.30cbe3144420ed59c82dbcb24046cb93.jpg

783662068_IMG_3158small.jpg.67176ed2817cb19bbdf7ea274ad9e694.jpg

Ready for some paintwork.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/05/2018 at 06:03, Jack P said:

Are you doing the painting too?

In a word Jack;  Yes!

Although I have to admit to having a bit of a nightmare with Railmatch spraycans.  Firstly I had a can of paint that would not dry, still tacky after several hours, so I had to wash it all off with white spirit and start again.  Replaced the can with one that seemed fine but the nozzle clogged.  Then I thought I would brush-paint it, but the stuff in the jar was a different green, nearer to BR Brunswick than SR Olive.  Eventually I stuck with the brushed, and finished it off with a waft from the good can.

All other colours are brushed, mostly Humbrol.  Black has only had one coat so far.

1545069317_IMG_3161small.jpg.c9052b648b65dfc39627bb14b7778ae0.jpg

263813994_IMG_3162small.jpg.4c8fafb165a5c6eb9632a11701b21fcc.jpg

It seemed a shame to have to carefully scrape the lovely BR lining off the Hornby tender, but there we are.

700493530_IMG_3164small.jpg.5033a5c031460f74465c2e6cf3b6b8fd.jpg

Still seem to have a slight "orange peel" finish to the paint, but its a lot better than it was.

I guess this all paints (sorry "points") to the inevitable conclusion that I have to get to grips with the Airbrush I bought some years ago, and have never learnt to use....

That's all for now, 

Cheers, Dave.

PS  There's a whole topic on how bad Railmatch spraycans are, here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126774-railmatch-paint-spray-cans/?hl=%2Brailmatch+%2Bspray  Maybe I should have read that first...

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'm afraid they put rather a lot of paint on and I ended up spraying them into a pot and cranking up the airbrush the last time I needed their colours. You can spray a patch and get it colour matched at certain Halfords and similar. Their spray cans are much better.

Don't be afraid of the airbrush ;)

It does look lovely already :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nope, sadly not- I couldn't find my green eye shadow in time, but I wore a dress with flowers and ivy on, a green hair clip, green seamed tights... I also felt very very green after a whole bottle of gin to mysen! Ah well, I had a good time at any rate. I'll do Jack in the Green properly one year, nose-to-toes green. One year I'd planned to go in a Peter Pan inspired costume but never got around to it.

Back to Maunsell Green, however...!

Goodness, the directions RMweb can take you in never ceases to amaze me...!

Thanks for all the painting advice, I must admit I hadn't thought about getting Halfords spraycans made up, that would be a good solution.  Aren't their colours all high gloss though?  That would mean adding a satin varnish on top

The Railmatch finish is quoted to be "satin" but it looks completely matt to me.  

Thanks, Dave.

Goodness, the directions RMweb can take you in never ceases to amaze me...!

Thanks for all the painting advice, I must admit I hadn't thought about getting Halfords spraycans made up, that would be a good solution.  Aren't their colours all high gloss though?  That would mean adding a satin varnish on top

The Railmatch finish is quoted to be "satin" but it looks completely matt to me.  

Thanks, Dave.

gloss is better for applying lining and lettering

Then seal with your desired varnish.

• RMweb Premium

gloss is better for applying lining and lettering

Then seal with your desired varnish.

Thanks Denbridge, what do you recommend in the varnish department?  I know Railmatch do them but that's where we came in!

Normally I rely on the paint finish, and only varnish the transfers to cut down the gloss.

Things keep going wrong with this one.  I broke off one of the smokebox lamp-irons the other day, soldered it back on - at a funny angle!  Could I get it off again?  Suffice to say that I got it fixed eventually, and without melting the extremely adjacent whitemetal smokebox door.

Also remembered that I had forgotten the swan-neck sandbox filling pipes, prominent above the footplate.  I'll try some brass rod for this, or see what I have in the whitemetal bits box.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Denbridge, what do you recommend in the varnish department?  I know Railmatch do them but that's where we came in!

Normally I rely on the paint finish, and only varnish the transfers to cut down the gloss.

Things keep going wrong with this one.  I broke off one of the smokebox lamp-irons the other day, soldered it back on - at a funny angle!  Could I get it off again?  Suffice to say that I got it fixed eventually, and without melting the extremely adjacent whitemetal smokebox door.

Also remembered that I had forgotten the swan-neck sandbox filling pipes, prominent above the footplate.  I'll try some brass rod for this, or see what I have in the whitemetal bits box.

Cheers, Dave.

i generally use precision having given up on humbrol and railmatch long ago

The late Guy Williams used to swear by thinned ronseal which i keep meaning to try.

Yes, absolutely - Ronseal is the best varnish I've ever used, recommended by Ian Rathbone. Use it with matting agent to take it down to satin or matt as required. 

Is this the water based one or solvent. As the trouble with varnish varnish it yellows with age, not to bad on colours but bad on whites.