Own your own Lance Mindheim Layout

shortliner

5 bids, final price in £££ is £225.15.

I think it's gone for so much because of who built it, more than it's value in material terms. And it must be nice for the new owner to see Lance's book and then look at (and play with!!) the actual layout for real..!! B) :)

I always liked the Model Railroader's "Red Wing Division" layout from some years ago, that is in a Kalmbach publication. It was an 8' x 4' roundy-roundy, not the favourite of most of us, but had a trackplan that looked like it could sustain some interesting switching. Then again the attraction could just be that they ran it with Soo Line locos..!!

the only photo I can find offhand on the web is of a layout that copied it very closely with regard to trackplan and buildings; the scenic finish isn't as good though...

http://www.gatewaynmra.org/layouts/gc02/gcrr2.jpg

5 bids, final price in £££ is £225.15.

I think it's gone for so much because of who built it, more than it's value in material terms. And it must be nice for the new owner to see Lance's book and then look at (and play with!!) the actual layout for real..!! B) :)

I always liked the Model Railroader's "Red Wing Division" layout from some years ago, that is in a Kalmbach publication. It was an 8' x 4' roundy-roundy, not the favourite of most of us, but had a trackplan that looked like it could sustain some interesting switching. Then again the attraction could just be that they ran it with Soo Line locos..!!

the only photo I can find offhand on the web is of a layout that copied it very closely with regard to trackplan and buildings; the scenic finish isn't as good though...

http://www.gatewaynm...s/gc02/gcrr2.jp

broken link

...I always liked the Model Railroader's "Red Wing Division" layout from some years ago, that is in a Kalmbach publication. It was an 8' x 4' roundy-roundy, not the favourite of most of us, but had a trackplan that looked like it could sustain some interesting switching. Then again the attraction could just be that they ran it with Soo Line locos..!!

Dear RM-team,

"Red Wing" was actually quite smart for it's size IIRC:

- a modest yet usable interchange/classification yard, which

- exited onto one half of a passing loop which could be treated as a dedicated switchlead

- a curved passing loop capable of taking a "road length" train

- and a dedicated "switching branch" which gave a significant length of isolated run relative to the sixe of the layout, which could be switched independent of the Mainline and Interchange yard.

The switchback industrial trackage on the branch always had me scratching my head trying to work out how you'd get car A from _here_ to _there_,

but IIRC the trick was to leave the train tailing back down the curve lead of the branch, and pick onesie/twosie cars at a time.

This also presented the altogether realistic scenario of multiple grade-crossings blocked by a cut of silent unmoving cars, while the switching is performed just out of town, in a midwestern town... :-)

However, I have to say that the earlier "Cripple Creek Central" was the project layout that really first "made sense" to me in terms of "single loco shortline switching". Indeed, my early HOn30 Broughton Vale Tramway aussie logging layout took a large chunk of it's potential operational schema and trackplan inspiration from the CCC...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS "Red Wing" hosted a white/red SOO hood unit, and a ex MILW "bandit" patched GP, but I don't recall seeing any of "F-Unit"s SW1200RS in action... :( ;)

PPS It looked initially to me that the URL was simply missing a "g" at the end,

(IE the extension should be ".jpg" for a JPEG pic, not just ".jp"?)

but that is MIA too. Maybe the Gateway Div has changed sites or servers?

... but 16 x 8 in O in an 80's semi ain't easy.

Solid-top board, at that!!! :blink: :D

Thanks for the correct links Jack, the second one is the one I tried to post!!

Prof Klyzlr, you have summed up the operating potential just as I see it; both yards can be switched without encroaching on the main. I'd be tempted to try and "do something" with the central yard kickback siding, as it's a bit awkward to switch having to clear the Fuel/Elevator first, but overall it seemed to me like a plan that had had some thought put into it.

As for Ex-MILW Bandits, d'you mean like this one...? :)

SDC11012.jpg

O scale GP40 #2041, made from a Weaver GP38 and Atlas SD40 & GP35 parts (and snowplow from Colin; thanks - I got to use it at last!!) :D B)

SNIP

As for Ex-MILW Bandits, d'you mean like this one...? :)

SDC11012.jpg

O scale GP40 #2041, made from a Weaver GP38 and Atlas SD40 & GP35 parts (and snowplow from Colin; thanks - I got to use it at last!!) :D B)

Dear F-Unit,

Um, yep, that'd be the one... ;) :D

For those of us who are a bit rusty on the merger madness, what were the component companies that merged to become "Soo Line"?

I take it MILW was one, obviously, but who else was involved?

I thought CB&Q may have been for a while, but that doesn't make sense because they were rolled into BN.

And, not that we mention it in polite company, but SOO then got bought out by who, was it CP or CN?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• RMweb Gold

Dear F-Unit,

Um, yep, that'd be the one... ;) :D

For those of us who are a bit rusty on the merger madness, what were the component companies that merged to become "Soo Line"?

I take it MILW was one, obviously, but who else was involved?

I thought CB&Q may have been for a while, but that doesn't make sense because they were rolled into BN.

And, not that we mention it in polite company, but SOO then got bought out by who, was it CP or CN?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Hi Prof,

now - That is complicated!

Soo line.....

Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railroad

and subsiduary

Mineral Range Railroad

CP gained control in 1961 then - by process of absorbtion and attrition gained......

Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad

Wisconsin Central Railroad

plus - 1985, the Soo Line purchased the property of the bankrupt Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad

also gained Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railway (MN&S) then became The Milwaukee Road, Inc

which was further absorbed to become Soo Line Railroad.

There is a load more to this - buth pre and subsequent!

I suggest anyone with a penchant for takeovers, buyouts etc have a look at the main CPR website - it's a bit more complicated than I've stated!

Thanks

ps....

It's a cracking model by the way!

Hi Prof,

now - That is complicated!

Soo line.....

Further to this... (and waaay off the OP!!!)

It was the Minneapolis, St Paul & Sault St Marie Railroad (started in 1886) that originally became known as The Soo Line, as Sault St Marie was a town originally settled by the French, on the St Mary's river which became the US/Canadian Border,

"Sault" is French for "Rapids" and pronounced "Sue", or, since Americans spell differently (e.g. "color", "honor", "aluminum"...) "Soo"... The area around the town became known as "The soo", so the railroad that went there became known as "the Soo Line", since of course "Minneapolis, St Paul & Sault St Marie Railroad" is something of a long-winded mouthful.

Up to 1961, that was the Soo Line, although it was in partnership with the Wisconsin Central to a very large degree. They merged in '61 along with the D.S.S.&A. to become the 'new' Soo Line with the white & red livery. CP was a major shareholder.

The Soo lost the bid for the Rock Island in 1980, purchased the MN&S in 1982, and won the bid for the Milwaukee in 1985, against Chicago North Western. (Grand Trunk Western was also involved but pulled out, I believe) - Soo actually bid lower than CNW but the ICC decided that if CNW took over MILW it would be too much of a monopoly. "Milwaukee Road Inc" was just a temporary holding company that the Soo had to set up to hold the MILW's assets while the deal was appealed by CNW.

Soo sold off it's "Lake States Division" property in Wisconsin in 1987 to a new "Wisconsin Central Ltd" (of Ed Buckhardt fame) who have since been taken over by Canadian National...

In the early 90's CP was considering what to do with it's share in the Soo, and eventually decided to fully merge the Soo into it's own operation instead of selling up. It also merged the Delaware & Hudson at the same time.

Other spin-off shortlines from all this include the Twin Cities & Western, and the Dakota, Missouri Valley & Western.

All clear, now...??!!?? :blink: :unsure: :D :D :D

*Soo Line Bore Mode* OFF/ :rolleyes:

Well, Amazon.com came up trumps this lunchtime, and Postie delivered my books - Chris' arrived earlier - he's closer to the start of his posties round, I reckon!. So I now have "How to build........." and "How to design......" - only had time for a quick "flick thru", but they look very interesting

• 4 weeks later...

I only just got my copy (one of my Italian Sister in Laws gave it to me - beauty is more than skin or food deep). It's a good book overall and thicker than his last couple - I'm not so sure about using long, narrow, hollow core doors but I guess if it is not going anywhere it's fine.........I'd have like to have seen Lance experiment with "Foam Board frame" construction.

I have only dipped so far but it seems like great book for someone starting out.

Any more thoughts on it, Jack?

Best, Pete.

I only just got my copy (one of my Italian Sister in Laws gave it to me - beauty is more than skin or food deep). It's a good book overall and thicker than his last couple - I'm not so sure about using long, narrow, hollow core doors but I guess if it is not going anywhere it's fine.........I'd have like to have seen Lance experiment with "Foam Board frame" construction.

I have only dipped so far but it seems like great book for someone starting out.

Cheap USA source for hollow core doors is your local Habitat For Humanity 'ReStore'...um, store. Down here they sell for under $10....

Cheap USA source for hollow core doors is your local Habitat For Humanity 'ReStore'...um, store. Down here they sell for under $10....

That's the trouble with ideas across the Pond... they cost more over here!! :angry:

DIY Store Wickes sell hollow core doors at £16.99; about $30..?? They are 6ft6inch by 2ft6nch. Don't even ask about extruded styrofoam - seems it's viewed as something utterly exotic over here, and a 4ft x 2ft 2inch-thick slab is £5 at B&Q. Adds up if you have a fair size layout to cover.

What sort of store is "Habitat For Humanity 'ReStore' ? A recycling sort of place?

It is probably something to do with President Carter. We did something for them a few years ago and I'm forever getting letters from the old boy - impresses the postie no end!

I guess it is some kind of recycling store but I've never heard of one around here.

Best, Pete.

Pete, both books are excellent in their way, and both are recommended for beginners, particularly if they are interested in modelling American prototype. Some of his ideas and concepts made me stop and think, particularly the idea of invisible customers, and leaving a wagon on-line for loading/unloading, by firms without rail access - not something I'd come across before, but something I have now found in a railroad in the back-of-beyond, (Alaska) - pointed out to me by Chris Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Any more thoughts on it, Jack?

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

I've tried to use Hollow Core doors in the past - 1970's to be precise...

Using them has it's plus and minus points.

Plus points.

Consistent size - As long as you buy them at the same time and same batch - they are the same dimensions in all ways.

This is a major point with modular type layouts for a start!

Manufacturing standard - As above

Support - Great - you can use the same system and spec throughout.

Negaitve points

Consistent sizes - What if you need a now off size and shape?

For example - to use a room space more effectively..

You have only the one size!

How to vary the levels

Thickness of the board - How and where to put the wiring, point motors etc.

Flat earth society standard.

Extruded styrofoam in the UK is more expensive per square metre than wood!

Recycle - With more UK councils deciding hat 'Once its in our bin - it's ours and you have no right to take it - very difficult!

Thanks

I've tried to use Hollow Core doors in the past - 1970's to be precise...

Negative points

Consistent sizes - What if you need a one off size and shape?

For example - to use a room space more effectively..

You have only the one size!

Lance has cut his doors down (especially length-ways) without, he says, losing structural strength. If you look carefully at his "underneath" photos, they're not even straight cuts!! :D

I would like to have seen more about how he joins them together - that bit is skimped over in the books. <_<

Lance has cut his doors down (especially length-ways) without, he says, losing structural strength. If you look carefully at his "underneath" photos, they're not even straight cuts!! :D

I would like to have seen more about how he joins them together - that bit is skimped over in the books. <_<

He is on train orders, under the user title EastRail1, I also seen posts from him on Atlas Forum.

you could send him a PM, I am sure he will be happy to answer.

if you do not have a trainorders account let me know I will PM him for you if you want.

• RMweb Gold

I would like to have seen more about how he joins them together - that bit is skimped over in the books. dry.gif

Hi F-Unit,

I've cut and joined doors like this - it's not easy!

I cut the angles to match then added strngtheners to replace the cout out bracing.

This does not have the same strenght though as the premade doors are jig assembled and therefor tensioned.

I had sag at joins due to this.

Joining the boards themselves was by adding a half and half shelf s support

Then the actual joints held with a C clamp through access apertures in the doors at either side of the joint.

Thanks

Archived