Own your own Lance Mindheim Layout

shortliner

Wrong scale for me too... :rolleyes:

I hadn't seen that layout before... probably because that's the one book of Lance's that I don't have!! <_<

A nice variation on the Inglenook, isn't it?

Okay, we're the wrong side of the Pond to buy, but hands up who's watching to see if it sells, then...?!? ;)

According to Amazon.com - it isn't yet released, but I have just placed an order - latest date of arrival is given as Dec 6th

Dear Jack,

Are you using Amazon UK? Amazon US just delivered my copy here in the Aussie Bush...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

One snag - You have to collect it near Washington, DC.

Dear Jack,

Having read the book a few times thru now, I"m struck by the thought that,

- for such a small layout,

- with no backscene or lighting pelmet,

- very little in the way of "sticky up" tall structures or scenery,

- and a fairly flat base

that it _cannot_ be shipped is a bit of a surprise to me,

(sheer $$$$ of shipping notwithstanding)

I'd love to know _why_ it can't be shipped

- exposed wiring on the underside?

(certainly can't be due to switchmotors, the layout doesn't have them according to the book.

Indeed, it doesn't even used over-centre springs on the turnouts, just friction from a styrene intereference-fit shim and the effect of painting the track!)

- hollow core door does not provide enough lateral/longditudinal strength in and of itself?

- track joint accross "cassette" not anchored adequately to avoid rail-end damage?

- structures not adequately glued down?

I should clarify that these questions are borne out of many years building, transporting, and showing exhibition/show layouts,

(and using similar approaches and techniques to haul Concert/Theatre sound and lighting gear all over the planet too),

where transporting highly detailed ("detailed" oft assumed to = "fragile") layouts without damage,

significant distances under hostile conditions,

ready to present their "best foot forward" when the show doors open,

was inherrently _part of the gig_.

- Weight saving,

- structural strength and integrity

- housing tall/fragile structures and scenery

- "ruggedized" electrics and mechanicals

- minimum # of parts/simplified setup/teardown/component integration

are all areas of layout design and technology where show layouts have been consistently on the leading edge of the innovation wave and "take no prisoners" testing. They have to be, particularly when the layout crew is "minimal" ;)

For my own layouts, inc "Brooklyn : 3AM", my personal benchmark is:

if they cannot handle being tipped over at least 90 degrees from "right way up" in any direction,

righted again,

without suffering other than extremely superficial damage,

(a piece of WS foliage may have decided to transplant itself... ;) )

then it isn't ready for touring...

I don't _intend_ to tip my layouts over regularly,

but to get thru a single person door/stairwell,

manhandle them into/out of the car

or as a friend of mine had happen, have the layout subject to and _survive_ a 70kph/70knot wind-assisted trailer rollover,

and be confident that they can handle such (ab)use, repays many times over in less-stress exhibiting.

As a starter home layout, Lance's layout looks the goods.

However, for someone contemplating any significant move,

(would that include a house move?)

I'm intriguied by it's implied lack-of-roadworthiness...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Jack,

Having read the book a few times thru now, I"m struck by the thought that,

- for such a small layout,

that it _cannot_ be shipped is a bit of a surprise to me,

I'd love to know _why_ it can't be shipped

I'm intriguied by it's implied lack-of-roadworthiness...

I must admit that similar thought had crossed my mind too....

However I suppose the difference is between being "Transported by Yourself" and "Transported by Fly-by-Nite Couriers Inc;"...

'You' (i.e. the Owner/Buyer) will take good care of it and handle it appropriately; however well it's crated up the average Shipping company will just chuck it about like any other box...

I should think the layout is capable of being moved, it just depends who by....

I just recently got two of Lance's books myself; the "How to design..." one and the "8 plans for small switching layouts" one;I'm tempted to get this "How to build..." book to see more about this particular layout, but a look through the pages on Amazon shows a fair bit of duplicated content from the other books, I think.

I have to say that as a long-time reader of MTI and small-layout fan I didn't think I'd learn all that much from these books, especially when I saw what "small layout" means (11ft x 12ft !!), but there really are some things to think about, especially concerning planning for operation so I do recommend them! :)

Professionally Lance ships layouts using museum shippers, and assembles them at the clients site. I do see where he is coming from, having to pack it up then ship it is a major undertaken for any layout, easy is to have the buy take care of all the work and hassle.

somebody has bid on it. I am jealous...

So am I, but only sort of, because it'd be interesting to find out how much it'd cost to build yourself. I appreciate that part of this price here is paying for the fact it's already built, by a highly respected builder at that, but as has been said, half the fun of the hobby is in the building...

I got the book "How To Design A small Switching Layout" by Lance Mindheim, read all of it, and realized my design is bad.

This is a must read before designing a small layout some awesome tips.

Dear Alco,

Um, I have to say I'm always dubious of such "I just read something and realise my whole approach is wrong" epiphanies,

The design you have right now was evolved from _some_ logic and reason,

(which only you can really be aware of)

and I would hesitate to "just throw that away" unless

- you were already dis-enchanted with it, and were already looking for "another way forward"

OR

- the "inspiration' you just found was already in the same vein of modelling ore you were already working,

only a "furthur down the path" version, which immediately helps you overcome some clear/present issues you were/are facing.

(IE the book allows you to learn from someone who has demonstratably "already trod the path you already find yourself walking along")

In short, if you aren't actually sure where your modelling was/is heading,

such a "tear it out and start again" epiphany may be just the thing to get you moving,

BUT, if you've already got a lot of time, mental effort, and "skin in the game",

then it may pay to try and reconcile where you were "comfy, pre book",

(and what you were comfy with!),

and now "post book",

and see if there isn't a healthy way you can assimilate the 2 streams-of-thought...

(instead of slash-n-burn all the existing stuff on spec,

because someone who doesn't know you or your layout or your modelling dreams/ambitions,

totally without context, told you it was wrong...)

Just thinking out loud...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Professor,

You are too funny.

The areas where I failed, was just a couple,

1> have the rail run to close to the backdrop in a few places.

2> not enough scenic zones.

3> to big a layout.

but my plans are set, so that is what I shall live with.

Dear Professor,

You are too funny.

The areas where I failed, was just a couple,

1> have the rail run to close to the backdrop in a few places.

2> not enough scenic zones.

3> to big a layout.

but my plans are set, so I that is what I shall live with.

Dear Alco,

If it put a smile on your face, then I'll take that as "mission accomplished" ;) :D

Just wanted to make sure that you were having the "Good Sort" of realisation/'epiphany",

not the sort that can make some modellers give up entirely and take up professional seat warming...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived