my layout - Flossett

d winpenny

I've been looking at the space and can't help but think I'd love to do a asymetric layout on it. Using the top photo as reference if it was my space I'd do the following :-

Top middle, halfway along the operating well have the track coming out of the tunnel into a gentle, fairly continuus, curve until it reaches the other end of the operating well at a point roughly where the second screw head form the right is. This would be the station, with perhaps an extra platform and/or a slow central through line. I'd do the station so it has an overbridge at which point the track uses that as a tunnel entrance. Curves 90 degrees and comes out somewhere to the right to enter your goods/MPD side of the layout. Maximizes the use of the width, while fully accomodating what you want which if I've interpretted it right is a Station one side with MPD + goods facilities on the other.

hi katier

i think i get what your saying correct me if im wrong, your right about having the yard/mpd at one side and station area at the other with a tunnel over the curved area at one end and some sort of overbridge at the other to break up the continous run look

I am an inveterate planner, love messing around with designs and don't always get them right.. but as the saying goes - a picture paints 1000 words. Ironically when doing this I moved the MPD adjascent to the station. Rather than a triple through line I've put a bi-directional (well actually two) platform in. The platform should take 6 coach trains, and made the curves as slack as possible. I love slack curves because they reduce the 'train set' look - the ones on this are at least 24" radius - Hornby 3rd radius is 20 and peco 22. Naturally this is just my take on your space and what you want and it's your railway, but I like planning and prefer a diagram to words - easier to make sense.

At the top you have a small marshalling yard, it's a bit tight but can be extended with curved points. Middle ( below the central well ) is the MPD with the 3 platform station below.

post-11540-0-95314300-1304854251_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

took some of my stock to going loco again today so they could could strech there legs so heres some pictures of 56003 doing just that, as the loco origionally diagramed a class 59 failed in service so 56003 releived it on the yeoman stone empties enjoy :)

post-10013-0-67617800-1308417961_thumb.jpg

post-10013-0-24908500-1308417980_thumb.jpg

post-10013-0-03042800-1308417997_thumb.jpg

post-10013-0-07955900-1308418014_thumb.jpg

david

No need for the police box on that layout, you have the real thing there :rolleyes: The retaining walls are well done as well, I might have to steal that idea.

Excellent plan btw Katier it give me a few ideas for an 00 layout in a similar amount of space.

yeah the doctor makes sure everything works :rolleyes: thank i shall pass on you compliments to the walls builder :)

some more new stock arrive in flosset yard today in the form of 4 Bachmann tarmac jgas very nice model pictures to follow, will definatley need a couple more, but may have to wait as the job situaton is a bit ucertain at the moment :(

david

• 5 weeks later...

with the job sitution back on track for the time being i treated my self to some more rolling stock in the form of four more tarmac jgas to complete the set and 8 of the new Hornby haa's, very impressed with them they put my old haas to shame

hope to get some new pictures soon, the track work is in bits again getting ready for the proposed extension,

david

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

its been a while since ive posted here just and to update the baseboards are all in situ standing at 16ft by 6ft with the operating well in the middle, the yard has both the up and down sidings installed as well as 2 other dead end roads at the back of the layout, and i thinking about having a small station at the other side of the layout for my class 150, and realtrack 143 in metro red and cream to stop at (when they become available). my locomotive fleet stands at 4 class 56s and a class 150 with a classs 60 in ews on its way, and i have three complete rakes of wagons 1 set of mbas, 1 set of jgas and 1 set of haas.

happy new year to everyone

david

• 2 weeks later...

I am an inveterate planner, love messing around with designs and don't always get them right.. but as the saying goes - a picture paints 1000 words. Ironically when doing this I moved the MPD adjascent to the station. Rather than a triple through line I've put a bi-directional (well actually two) platform in. The platform should take 6 coach trains, and made the curves as slack as possible. I love slack curves because they reduce the 'train set' look - the ones on this are at least 24" radius - Hornby 3rd radius is 20 and peco 22. Naturally this is just my take on your space and what you want and it's your railway, but I like planning and prefer a diagram to words - easier to make sense.

At the top you have a small marshalling yard, it's a bit tight but can be extended with curved points. Middle ( below the central well ) is the MPD with the 3 platform station below.

post-11540-0-95314300-1304854251_thumb.png

Katier, I love the plan....I am in planning for an area 10' by 6' based on a slight compression of Hornby Mags, Bolsover and seven pit lane layout, but I am like many others always open to other takes on a theme. I picked up on this thread due to the original size.

Mine (LONGHARTLEY) will be set in NE england (Tyneside ish) early mid 60's. Lots of coal hoppers, steam and diesel etc.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Not much to report as moneys tight at the moment, but while I was at work I thought of a bit of back story to my layout so here goes: Flossett is a small mining town in West Yorkshire with a unmanned station so the locals can get to the near by Wakefield and Dewsbury. Flossett yard has been very much rationalised over the years and is all that remains of what was a much larger complex. now owned by EWS it is used for crew changes on merry go round workings from the local pit as well as steel from and stone traffic. one corner or the yard has been taken over by network rail.

David

Archived