Stockton Road TMD

Poindexter

I went up into the loft tonight to clean the track where I have been painting the ballast. But I couldn't find the track rubber and I got side tracked by the brass tube I had bought so I had a quick bash at making a light.

Here is the first prototype to see if I could do it. Constructed out of 1.6 2.4 and3 mm tube with a SMD LED bulb. It needs a shade and some refinement but I'm quite pleased with it.

5654772463_483393a6c8_z.jpg

This one is just the small SMD providing all the illumination!!

Guy

Guy

You are really getting into those SMD LEDs now aren't you mate! lol

Another great piece of work there. I assume the brass tube is one conductor and an insulated wire runs through the middle as the other conductor with a resistor under the board somewhere?

Dave

great job on the ballasting, how did you get it so flat? im terrible :S

Rule number 1. Only photograph the good bits!!

Some areas of mine are terrible and really need redoing. Its definitely a take your time thing.

Thanks for the comment

Guy

Being having a play. I cleaned the track and ran the 08 round to make sure all was well. Then I took the 3mm LEDS off the outside of the building and replaced them with the small SMD LEDs I have been playing with.

After that I glued some 5mm foamboard round the perimeter of the layout to start a boundary/retaining wall. Then I took some pics! Don't know what to else for the brick work yet?? Maybe Scalescenes but what colour???

Also I think the overall layout is looking a bit tatty. I hope when I finish the ballasting things look better. I know this layout is just a plaything to learn with, but I want it to look kinda right!

5684700592_fab0021aa1_z.jpg

5684133229_7150ee1338_z.jpg

The lights inside need a resistor!

5684700172_97b22ec320_z.jpg

5684132877_50584b6dd7_z.jpg

5684132979_c4d8aaa718_z.jpg

==============================================================

So this is where the entrance is. I need to think of a scenic plan. Bridge? Low relief building corner on the left?

5684700864_b83ac3dc45_z.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Not much of an update. Here is a pick of the SMD that provides the light outside the depot doors in the pics above. The SMD LED is the small yellowish thing behind the white Plasticard. Pretty small eh! They really are fantastic things.

post-6690-0-62635600-1304885435_thumb.jpg

And I have been having a play today. Here is a short vid of a sound 60 getting badly driven round Stockton TMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6IvJndL9w

Guy

Good videos Guy. I like your new lighting on the depot building.

I love the sound on your loco. I'm considering sound at the moment. It makes such a difference to the whole feel of the layout doesn't it. Those 2 videos you have just posted were made fantastic by the sounds alone. I feel a spending spree coming on, and its the Derby show next weekend!

Dave

Good videos Guy. I like your new lighting on the depot building.

I love the sound on your loco. I'm considering sound at the moment. It makes such a difference to the whole feel of the layout doesn't it. Those 2 videos you have just posted were made fantastic by the sounds alone. I feel a spending spree coming on, and its the Derby show next weekend!

Dave

Cheers Dave. I think sound will work better on a roundy like yours. Sometimes on this layout the sound and speed go out of sync. E.G. it can still be thrashing as the loco comes to a standstill!! But when I had a big loop running round the loft they were great.

Guy

Cheers Lordhinton!

Not a lot going on considering I have been off all day!

This is the final design I am going to use for the lights. Work out at about £1.50 each. I found it easier to bend the 1.6mm tube round a AA battery than solder another angle piece to it. Also made it easier to get the wire down it.

5733845799_c14ca1e56a_z.jpg

5733845329_9915d72495_z.jpg

5734394004_7b30ef674a_z.jpg

5734394034_4269183604_z.jpg

5734394088_c5bf292a91_z.jpg

And I went to the model shop and bought some stuff for the wagon shed.

5733845683_b7b49ed49d_z.jpg

Guy

Hmm whats this a standard Peco Buffer stop? But wait, is that wires coming out of the back?

5737011358_8a6a970b45_z.jpg

Ahh it all becomes clear.

5736462145_7c083b3156_z.jpg

Needs painting and stuff and some light bleeds out of the back but I'm pleased with it.

So on with the Wagon shed. Here is the longer version made out off 3mm foamboard with a plasticard roof. I need to make some kind of window frames. Does anybody have any idea if you can get etches or plastic kits with frames in?

5737013236_9aa79c552a_z.jpg

5737012748_fbe3fd0a74_z.jpg

5736459993_5ea5e06132_z.jpg

Guy

Looking very good Guy, The lighting looks great as does the wagon shop. Did you not like your cardboard one you had??? lol

Smart looking buffer light and just noticed the heavy oil stains on the tracks, looks really good.

Hi Guy,

this thread is a real eye opener for me as I am starting to put an O Gauge servicing depot together. Having now decided on the layout, the track is down and awaiting the arrival of the Cobalt point motors, I've started to think about the buildings and the Peterborough building that Bachmann have brought out would seem to be a good 'prototype'. I am thinking about using 5mm foamboard and applying the plastic sheeting to that with PVA - will this work? My health is affect by all other types of adhesives - so I hope that the answer is yes.

post-6951-0-00576100-1306134444_thumb.jpg

More reports as and when (depending on the answers) , in a new thread. The dots are for the DCC droppers by the way.

cheers

Mike

Hijack mode on :-

Mike - Using PVA with plastic sheet gets a qualified yes from me. But only if used over a large flat area and held under light compression for several hours. Can you try using double sided tape? Carpet tape is usually around 48mm wide so will cover the sort of areas you need in 7mm scale. Am I glad that the usual suspects such as CA, PVA, craft glue, UHU Super and latex don't affect me. Or is the room really spinning?

Hijack mode off :- smile3.gif

Hi Ian,

many thanks for your reply - I shall investigate various methods and report back on the thread that I have now started.

Guy

appologies again for the hi-jack, I will be back asking some questions of you if I may - especially regarding the lighting, which I think is superb.

cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike. The entire building and cladding was glued with neat pva. The only parts that wernt was the window frames. I was quite surprised by how well the cladding grabbed onto the foam board.

Guy

Guy the cladding looks great, have a look at some pics i posted from Margam Wagon Works this wknd maybe some ideas there for you. Its under groups - Standard gauge Industrial. the cladding you used reminded me of it.

All the best

Leon.

Guy the cladding looks great, have a look at some pics i posted from Margam Wagon Works this wknd maybe some ideas there for you. Its under groups - Standard gauge Industrial. the cladding you used reminded me of it.

All the best

Leon.

Cheers Leon, off for a look

How did you do the frames, did you find any etches or are they hand made?

Hi I made the frames myself in the end.

I taped some clear perspex to my cutting mat and started to build my frames.

5746804539_b78fba5021_z.jpg

5747354222_21a47d6346_z.jpg

Test Fit

5746804029_85400229b9_z.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Archived