The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clip that defies belief.

scots region

Had to post this, scary stuff.

all copyright belongs to its rightful owner (NOT ME)

Edit 29/10/10 19:39

The clip reportedly shows an old woman at the premier of the Chaplin film 'The Circus' in 1928 talking on what appears to be a 21 century Mobile Phone, since there is nothing that existed in 1928 that can explain the mysterious object the Filmmaker has concluded that this is possible living proof of time travel.

Guest Max Stafford

Scary that so many people can be taken in by it more like! :lol:

Maybe she's talking to Elvis to remind him to feed Shergar... ;)

Dave.

Not sure about "scary", but certainly odd.

On the face of it - yes, it looks like the woman (or man in a dress, as the presenter suggests!) is holding something to her ear, and having a conversation with somebody.

However, let's follow the premise and say that yes, this is a time traveller, in 1928, with a mobile phone.

Think about that for a moment. Dwell on the shattering implications of such a fact.

Now then, answer this:

How is she getting reception? Where's the signal coming from?

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit of footage from a Charlie Chaplin film (The Circus, 1928) which appears to include a woman talking on a mobile phone.

Some sort of proof of the existence of time travel perhaps :rolleyes: - never mind that there would have been no reception...... ;)

It would be more useful if you gave any kind of hint of what the clip might be of!

That's agood point, actually - there's so much dodgy stuff on the net that a fuller description would be welcome.

For the record, Andi, it's something that was in the news today: a Belfast film-maker has spotted something that looks very much like a woman talking on a mobile phone in the extras on a Charlie Chaplin DVD, dating from 1928.

However, assuming that it's not faked footage, I stand by my reasoning in the previous post, and doubtless others have thought the same: even if a person travelled back in time with a mobile phone, it wouldn't work!

Is it possible that the lady was fiddling with a hearing aid, or an earring?

It is quite interesting, but as I said in ERs:

There have been a number of these sort of photos over the years which purport to show people out of time. Here's another one - the picture was taken in the early 1940s and the guy in the shot with the sunglasses looks at first glance out of time. However, it probably isn't quite as out of time as it appears.

The story of John Titor is another interesting one - if it was a hoax then it was an extremely elaborate one with seemingly no gain.

ABYC000a00fa.jpg

The story of John Titor is another interesting one - if it was a hoax then it was an extremely elaborate one with seemingly no gain.

Ah, yes, I like the John Titor story, if only as an intellectual exercise. His tale, whoever he was, was almost certainly tosh, but it was remarkably self-consistent, and extremely hard, if not impossible, to disprove.

If you like this sort of thing, the Fortean Times message board is full of it.

I admit that the explanation of 'Time Traveller' is probably not true. But honestly what else explains it? her hand is clearly hooked over a flat rectangular object that is small enough for most of her hand to cover it and she is clearly speaking into it. It could be a flat piece of black slate that she just happens to be holding to the side of her head, but then why talk into it? Maybe it was just something she did, maybe she just odd. But the fact the she turns and looks directly into the camera, that she is clearly aware that she is being filmed, just makes it all the more eerie. Its as if she posing. Now the fact that I haven't bumped into the 444th President of America whilst shopping tends to confirm my sceptism of Time Travel, but this (in my mind) is just too bizarre.

I suspect that if time travel is ever perfected we will LONG since have consigned mobile phones to the museum.  Does anybody really think that a time traveller will be using an early 21st century mobile phone!!

Guest jim s-w

There's a problem with the mobile phone theory... how many masts were about for her to get any reception in 1928? laugh.gif

Yeah because if someone could ever invent a time machine, its completely implausible they could invent a communication device that doesn't need a huge infrastructure to support it isn't it?

Having said that its probably some daft old bird talking to her pet mouse in a matchbox or something!

Cheers

Jim

This is NOT time travel! This old woman is actually a witch from the Ministry of Magic hot on the trail of Harry Potter! And we ALL know Harry Potter is real 'cause he catches the Hogwarts Express and EVERYONE know's THAT is real ! [i've seen it running myself!]

Had to post this, scary stuff.

all copyright belongs to its rightful owner (NOT ME)

Edit 29/10/10 19:39

The clip reportedly shows an old woman at the premier of the Chaplin film 'The Circus' in 1928 talking on what appears to be a 21 century Mobile Phone, since there is nothing that existed in 1928 that can explain the mysterious object the Filmmaker has concluded that this is possible living proof of time travel.

I dunno about time travel but I'm certainly getting a sense of deja vu from this thread.................

Best, Pete.

PS They had small box-like acoustic hearing aids in the 20's

PPS The bloke in the photo is wearing an early forties university woollen sweat shirt, (plus a "cardy" knitted by his Mom) and similar sunglasses to what Mallory and Irvine wore even earlier.

this is a shot in the dark, but might the camera have caught a 'Time warp'? The theory is that the time space continuum can, occasional, jump and take an individual or object either into the past or the future for a brief period usually no more than five minutes, then the continuum resets an snaps the individual back to there present. its the same idea as CD jumping it either skips forward into future lyrics or skip backward into past lyrics. Is it possible that a woman in the 21st century was warped back to Chicago in 1928 for a few seconds, just in time for the camera to catch her passing and just so happened to be in the middle of a Mobile conversation?

It may be based on a recorded series of incidents at Chaplin's studios, where Douglas Fairbanks is very firmly on record as replacing all the extras on the backlot as a joke, after all he owned the studio, along with Charlie Chaplin, and Fairbanks absolutely loved pulling practical jokes on Chaplin.

The shot on Utube is not in the "Circus film" it is an out take, of which hundreds exist from the Chaplin archives.

If the film is real, and it could be fake of course, then I deeply suspect that the "woman" is a male extra trying to hide his face from the camera, behind which Chaplin would have been working...there's a fair chance it is Douglas Fairbanks himself in a dress, and he would be desperate to hide his face from Chaplin, till the last moment, and ruin the take.

As far as I can trace the film is genuine, but of course the Utube poster works for a company with access to CGI and may have doctored it to make it look like a hand, using the genuine out take as a basis for a further hoax.

The only certainty is that it is not a mobile phone.........................!!!!!!

Stephen

Archived