The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clip that defies belief.

scots region

This is NOT time travel! This old woman is actually a witch from the Ministry of Magic hot on the trail of Harry Potter! And we ALL know Harry Potter is real 'cause he catches the Hogwarts Express and EVERYONE know's THAT is real ! [i've seen it running myself!]

Ok there's NO need to shout and I never said it was time travel, its just unsual

• RMweb Gold

Hearing aid or small ear trumpet are the most likely explanations.

Indeed; it's been pointed out elsewhere on the web that she could well be speaking into her

own hearing aid receiver in order to set the volume correctly before going into the film.

I think the guy in the front left is out of place too. Note the modern striped tie, dark shirt and it appears he is holding a video camera in his hands

It is quite interesting, but as I said in ERs:

There have been a number of these sort of photos over the years which purport to show people out of time. Here's another one - the picture was taken in the early 1940s and the guy in the shot with the sunglasses looks at first glance out of time. However, it probably isn't quite as out of time as it appears.

The story of John Titor is another interesting one - if it was a hoax then it was an extremely elaborate one with seemingly no gain.

ABYC000a00fa.jpg

Indeed; it's been pointed out elsewhere on the web that she could well be speaking into her

own hearing aid receiver in order to set the volume correctly before going into the film.

Exactly, I'm beginning to feel that this is another 'OMG' moment, consider this (I'm assuming) none of use were around in 1928 and many of us have grown up with mobile phones, which are as a rule: flat, rectangular and black, so when we see the clip we make the connection and think 'Mobile Phone' but there was nothing that even approched a Mobile in 1928 so 'Time Travel' when the reality is she probably just scraching her ear.

On another unusual thing, has anyone watched 'Titans of Steam'? In the sequence documenting the Jubilee 'Bahamas' on KWVR when the Loco passes through a tunnel someone throws a brown package that makes an audible clunk as it hits the ground out of the left hand side of train. I don't know the name of the tunnel but it is relatively short and is built over what look like reverse curves, anyone know any more?

A more interesting thing is this: Why do human beings always, almost innately, seek out the most outlandish answer to a puerile question?

Here are a small selection of hearing aids from the 1920's:http://beckerexhibit...hcent/index.htm

For anyone who says that they look nothing like the one in the movie - 1) you can't see it properly, 2) you'd accept time travel based on that? 3) I'm an agent of TimeTravel Inc., who not only purposely sticks people who look like time travellers into obscure films/photos, (oh God, I made a mistake in showing a 70 year old woman using "modern" technology) but still tries to deny it.

I originally posted this clip a few days ago after it appeared on the ABC Nightly News (at least they debunked it) but expect to see a whole series devoted to it, upcoming on the History Channel........

Get a grip.

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

this is a shot in the dark, but might the camera have caught a 'Time warp'? The theory is that the time space continuum can, occasional, jump and take an individual or object either into the past or the future for a brief period usually no more than five minutes, then the continuum resets an snaps the individual back to there present. its the same idea as CD jumping it either skips forward into future lyrics or skip backward into past lyrics. Is it possible that a woman in the 21st century was warped back to Chicago in 1928 for a few seconds, just in time for the camera to catch her passing and just so happened to be in the middle of a Mobile conversation?

Well, seeing as I walk my dog round what was Kingmoor shed in Carlisle, I live in hope of getting five minutes there in 1964...! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Well, seeing as I walk my dog round what was Kingmoor shed in Carlisle, I live in hope of getting five minutes there in 1964...! ;)

Dave.

It will happen when you reach the right speed, walk a bit faster, about 186,000 miles per second should do it :P

Guest Belgian

Is it just me being cynical, or is it all perhaps just a publicity stunt for the Belfast guy's productions? :rolleyes:

Well, it's certainly worked for him! There are over three million hits on YouTube so far, after just a few days.

It's pretty obviously a fake: the film is too clean and the action is smooth even when slowed down, 1928 film would jump frame by frame and have plenty of scratch marks evident, even if only just "discovered". It's a "DVD extra", supposedly taken from the cutting room floor!

JE

I agree with Stephen that it might well be a male extra hiding his face from the camera. Look at the size of the feet. Besides that, you cannot actually see anything in his hand when he turns towards the camera.

That's not exactly a mobile phone though is it... it's a something else...

Yeah because if someone could ever invent a time machine, its completely implausible they could invent a communication device that doesn't need a huge infrastructure to support it isn't it?

Having said that its probably some daft old bird talking to her pet mouse in a matchbox or something!

Cheers

Jim

A more interesting thing is this: Why do human beings always, almost innately, seek out the most outlandish answer to a puerile question?

Here are a small selection of hearing aids from the 1920's:http://beckerexhibit...hcent/index.htm

For anyone who says that they look nothing like the one in the movie - 1) you can't see it properly, 2) you'd accept time travel based on that? 3) I'm an agent of TimeTravel Inc., who not only purposely sticks people who look like time travellers into obscure films/photos, (oh God, I made a mistake in showing a 70 year old woman using "modern" technology) but still tries to deny it.

I originally posted this clip a few days ago after it appeared on the ABC Nightly News (at least they debunked it) but expect to see a whole series devoted to it, upcoming on the History Channel........

Get a grip.

Best, Pete.

Exactly its obviously a hearing aid and there is no such thing as time travel,now if you'll excuse me I'm about to beat Kennedy at poker and there was something important I had to tell him... oh well

Count me as a solid sceptic. One unusual posture for the pre-mobile phone era, which is a commonplace now, does not constitute any meaningful evidence. And incidentally, anyone with a tech as advanced as time travel is going to have a communicating device so completely integrated as to actually be invisible; already nearly achieved with Bluetooth devices. (A fun thing with SF movies is to chart the way in which the futuristic tech imaginings of as little as twenty years ago, supposedly representing a time centuries in the future, is already clearly out of date. )

Never forget the one fact you have to comprehend about 'time travel'. If classical time travel, in the sense of a technology that enables free movement up and down when, actually is possible: then it would always exist. The point of discovery diffuses up and down the time line by the action of its' use. Look at the rate that a new technology, even if initially top secret, diffuses in the ordinary direction of time. No mobile phones forty years ago, now ubiquitous. Think how fast time travel would propagate, with the opportunity of the entire habitable lifespan of this planet to propagate in. If time travel exists, then there would be no argument, we would already all be in possession of the means to do it.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's Algernon Cuthbertson's long-lost Aunt Maud, on the run from the Padstow Lancers for 20 years for smuggling illegal coffee into Cornwall from the Costa del Costa, and who accidentally tripped through a hole in the space-time continuum whilst disguised as the old woman from the Giles cartoons.... :P

Archived