Re-motoring old Lima locos...especially HSTs

R.Langley

I have at least a dozen old Lima models, that I wish to re-motor/refurbish so that I can DCC them up in order to be able to run on my layout. Is it Bachrus (?) that produces re-motoring kits for HSTs?

I'd like to know how people have gone about re-motoring their old Lima's whether for DCC or not.

Thanks

Richard

Modeltorque do replacement motors for Lima mechs. These are simple to fit, and run more smoothly with less current draw than the Lima originals. They do not fix the Lima current collection or wheel tarnishing problems; for that you need to do more work.

• RMweb Premium

Modeltorque motors are good little units and (provided you can manage a couple of spots of solder) very easy to fit in place of the Lima unit. What they will not do is improve the adhesion or pulling power of the Lima HST. The "standard" 2+2 as in the Hornby HST train packs is about as good as you can reliably get. The Modeltorque itself is good for much more (as is the Lima unit) - the limiting factor is the weight available.

I haven't used a MT in an HST though the same unit would be used as in the class 47 which I repowered. That is running very well though still with the gear whine. I also packed in a couple of fishing weights hammer-beaten into shape to fit the body cavity and super-glued in position. It now handles a 10-coach train over a hilly layout.

I recently made enquiries of Geoff at Hollywood Foundry whose adverts appear here from time to time. He did briefly produce a Lima remotoring unit but does not currently do so. It might be worth dropping an email to www.hollywoodfoundry.com however, and take a look at the site for reference if nothing else. Usual disclaimer applies: no commercial connection with the business.

Used the MT in a Lima class 52, which then had the Brassmasters upgrade treatment. It is a superb runner, with masses of pulling power. Very easy to install and get running. Shame 2 weeks after I finished the upgrade Heljan announced...yep you guessed! But, I still do not begrudge the effort, even though the brake gear nearly did for me!! The model has earned the nickname of 'Hammy', if you've watched 'over the hedge' you'll understand the reference.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have at least a dozen old Lima models, that I wish to re-motor/refurbish so that I can DCC them up in order to be able to run on my layout. Is it Bachrus (?) that produces re-motoring kits for HSTs?

I'd like to know how people have gone about re-motoring their old Lima's whether for DCC or not.

Thanks

Richard

I remotored a Lima HST power car using a Roco RE4/4iv mech(Swiss thingy!) Lovely and smooth with ample grunt. Then went on to fit it with a SWD soundchip, hardwired in, which lasted until the Hornby ones appeared. Not a cheap option though! Still got it, minus the chip. kev.

Archived