Traction goes Bi_Monthly

Davidjsmith

• RMweb Gold

Just got The Latest issue with the Yearly Annual .Had a letter saying that due to the market place the magazine is going bimonthly!But will be 72 pages.There's an article on the Black country West Midland Freight.The Picture on the cover is superb !Looks very model like.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

What are the articles like in the annual? Interesting?

Bi - monthly seems like a backward step to me, too far between the issues to be frequent, might have been better to go the whole way for a quarterly publication, is thare a price ammendment?

Michael

I agree with it seemign a backward step, I can't help thinking this is all down to the change of editor and wanting to change the style of the magazine, I had every issue of Traction until April, but what with belt tighetning and my personal view the magazine had gone down hill I stopped buying it. Bring back David Brown!

Hi all

Is it me ? or perhaps an overdue visit to spec-savers is called for :rolleyes: - but the quality of the photos appears to have dropped in the last few issues. This is particuarly apparent in some of the articles in the 2010 annual that arrived with the latest issue. Now also to go bi-monthly - hhmm It's doubtful I'll renew the sub next time round, and that has been running from issue 1 ;)

On the positve side - the 2010 annual has a good article on doing a tour of "Scottish" sheds.

Regards

Ken

Maybe a watershed for this and a few more mags next year. Traction was a bit of a young spotters magazine and perhaps those people have grown out of it. Traction is competing with the likes of Rail Express, the latter with its superb reproduction on fine paper. And there is only so much Rail Blue a man can take!!!

.... and remember the editor is only doing the publishers bidding and it is the publisher who decides on publication frequency and paperstock etc based on calculation of cost benefit. Sad but true. Lower circulation, less ad sales, les revenue, less interest, less incentive to publish.

I'm afraid I have to echo many of the comments on here.

I had every issue of Traction from no 1 onwards , and although I gave the new editorship a chance , I'm afraid the standards have dropped in terms of content and photographic reproduction such that it's no longer a "must buy" - I will certainly have a browse to see if there are any articles of interest , but otherwise I won't be buying it.

Perhaps it's just me but I get the impression the publishers are trying to kill the magazine off? - they're certainly going the right way about it.

I don't think that the "young spotters" Coachman mentions have grown up , more that they want quality to read , and at present I'd say that's lacking. Perhaps the supply of interesting pictures from the relevant periods has now dried up?

Perhaps the supply of interesting pictures from the relevant periods has now dried up?

Speaking as one of the photographers that had shots published every month for years, I think this is not the case at all. We all have stacks of shots. But if the others feel as I do, it is too much trouble sorting slides out and writing captions and a story nowadays....... A case of been there, dunnit and worn the teashirt.

Another problem has more to do with deadlines in the pre-colour era. We stuck with black & white film because we could do the d&p in the afternoon and get newsworthy pictures in the post and on the editors desk by the following morning. Today, who wants to look at magazines full of monochorme photos?

Black & white (and colour) photo album books are popular, but there is little money in it for authors.

• RMweb Gold

I just thought it was my eyesight with the photos!

Seriously, I think that we've got used to the Rail Express quality of photo produced from digital images in the main, and some of the photos in Traction seem over enlarged compared to their original quality, look at the photos from the time mostly, unless by pro photographers, small format and not suitable for massive enlargement. Traction uses these photos at significant parts of page size and this exposes the focussing etc problems not too evident at the normal 6X4 size. We want the photos but producing them seems to be difficult, subscription is now in the balance, pity.

Michael

I'm afraid I have to echo many of the comments on here.

I had every issue of Traction from no 1 onwards , and although I gave the new editorship a chance , I'm afraid the standards have dropped in terms of content and photographic reproduction such that it's no longer a "must buy" - I will certainly have a browse to see if there are any articles of interest , but otherwise I won't be buying it.

I keep seeing this and still don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm using exactly the same material as that supplied to the previous editor and am using the same magazine designer. If someone was to say to me, you're missing out on this or that, or so-and-so feature is not working, then I may be able to offer defence or see their side of things.

Reproduction I can do nothing about, I always hope that we can reproduce the often 30 or 40 year old photos as precisely as possible, but with the best will in the world, there are always going to be problems with the change in technology. Having looked at another magazine from a year or so ago, I can see no significant difference....

I keep seeing this and still don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. There's an old saying - 'you can't please all the people all the time' - and I think that's what is happening here. It's a fact that most of us don't like change and, it appears, there are a number of people who are obviously unhappy because David Brown is no longer Traction editor. However, it is not helpful when posts appear criticising both the current content and editor, particularly when that person regularly posts on this forum and can read what seems to be little short of personal criticism of him. IMO this is somewhat offensive, disrespectful and completely unacceptable.

I kind of do and dont agree with some of the above comments ..........................

I too have every Traction from iss 1 and am a subscriber , i dont agree about theres only so much br blue you can take , i love seeing the old photos especially as most are previously unpublished , i actually like the b&w pictures ,much more atmospheric in my view,

but , and its quite a big but ,i do get a little tired of seeing similar articles about westerns/warships/deltics etc , i enjoyed the article on 105s the most this month , followed by the OC/WN photospreads.More of the more obscure stuff would be good .I also liked the working on the railway articles in previous editions.

I must say i cant really tell much difference between the editorial team style.

Im sure its difficult for the editor and i do have some sympathy for him in the impossible task of pleasing everyone !!!!

My main concern is that the reversion to bimonthly issues is the thin end of the wedge to finishing the mag altogether, and im concerned my 3 year subscription could be up the swanny .Sorry im just suspicious like that.

Hope Traction keeps going as i still enjoy it and look forward every month to it.

Regards Paul.

I enjoyed the read - and was chuffed with my mini article in the annual :) It's not a 'must buy' every month due to the changing subject matter but it's stuff that I find nostalgic about that makes me pick it up. I like the subtle re-design since the issue Richard has as his avatar image - however I've not much experience of the early days of the mag.

If 6 issues a year means it can stay in print then that has to be a positive.

Hope Traction keeps going as i still enjoy it and look forward every month to it.

Well that's going to be difficult now that it's bi-monthly. ;)

I hadn't bought a copy since April but I did buy the September edition simply because I was taking my mother to visit an elderly relative and prefer to stick my nose in a magazine than listen to the inane chat between them. Anyhow, the content was somewhat lacking over previous offerings IMHO. The fact that most of it was dedicated to Duffs didn't help but the article about HSTs was a complete turn off. The author suggesting that these things be treated as proper traction and the editor obviously agreeing by publishing the article and pictures doesn't bode well for the future. If the magazine is reduced to filling its pages with HSTs from now on then perhaps it's time it died of natural causes anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

I had ordered a subscription earlier this day because from the Traction homepage I got the impression that I would get 12 issues and an annual for my 1 year subscription. Only when I read this thread I learned that there will be just 6 issues per year. Maybe someone could have a look at the subscription page of the Traction homepage and tell me whether it really is misleading or its just because English is foreign for me so I was too slow to understand. But I really think it is strange to charge more for a subscription than for back ordering all the single issues!

Thomas

ps: I have just cancelled the subscription. I am sad because I am very interested into the blue diesel era and while I do not know the Traction magazine it seemed to be the right one for my interest.

I had ordered a subscription earlier this day because from the Traction homepage I got the impression that I would get 12 issues and an annual for my 1 year subscription. Only when I read this thread I learned that there will be just 6 issues per year. Maybe someone could have a look at the subscription page of the Traction homepage and tell me whether it really is misleading or its just because English is foreign for me so I was too slow to understand. But I really think it is strange to charge more for a subscription than for back ordering all the single issues!

Thomas

ps: I have just cancelled the subscription. I am sad because I am very interested into the blue diesel era and while I do not know the Traction magazine it seemed to be the right one for my interest.

Hello Thomas

Sorry that the Traction website has not yet been brought into line with the bi-monthly issue. Our web team and marketing sections have been advised, but it hasn't happened yet. Had you subscribed for one year our subscriptions department would have made it a two year subscription with the annuals. If you would still like to consider subscribing, PM me and I'll get a sample issue off to you with the correct subscription details inside.

Apologies once again

Richard (Editor)

Hello Thomas

Sorry that the Traction website has not yet been brought into line with the bi-monthly issue. Our web team and marketing sections have been advised, but it hasn't happened yet. Had you subscribed for one year our subscriptions department would have made it a two year subscription with the annuals. If you would still like to consider subscribing, PM me and I'll get a sample issue off to you with the correct subscription details inside.

Apologies once again

Richard (Editor)

Thanks a lot for this information Richard,

I am very interested into this magazin, I just did not want to pay more for a subscription than for the single issues back-ordered. I have sent you PM with the details of cancellation. Maybe you can cancel the cancellation.

Thomas

I too had thought about cancelling my subscription, but have kept it going just now. What would guarantee my continued interest in Traction would be more stuff about what I consider the 'Golden Age of BR traction', that is 1970 to 1982, and perhaps a bit less about events since then and particularly post-privatisation.

Matt

You get my vote Richard - please keep going - I have bought every issue - don't see any reason to stop.

Maybe one day I may even right some guff from back then to go with my blurry photos (see my Gallery).

Do you need any articles about 16 year old boys sneaking round sheds like Gateshead and York at 3am ..........?

Me and my pals worked out you could buy a "Day Return ticket" from Glasgow to London and make it last from 4.30pm Friday till 11am (ish) Sunday.

As long as the train leaving Glasgow (4.30pm Queen street to Edinburgh) connected with a train arriving in London on Saturday (date on ticket) we were good to go. We then got off the train at every East Coast station.....did a depot..... caught the next train heading South - arriving in London mid day Saturday. We then did the sheds and stations and as long as we were leaving on a train while it was still Saturday........11.30 ex Euston........ we would roll out of Glasgow Central Early Sunday. All on a £4.60 day return ticket.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing this and still don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm using exactly the same material as that supplied to the previous editor and am using the same magazine designer. If someone was to say to me, you're missing out on this or that, or so-and-so feature is not working, then I may be able to offer defence or see their side of things.

Reproduction I can do nothing about, I always hope that we can reproduce the often 30 or 40 year old photos as precisely as possible, but with the best will in the world, there are always going to be problems with the change in technology. Having looked at another magazine from a year or so ago, I can see no significant difference....

As a person that normally sits back and watches what people say i think its time to put my views forward.

I still find traction a good magazine and not much has changed since richard took over. My only thought could be that a larger sphere of features should be considered.As a scottish reader i would like to see more scots features but at the same time i think that the br blue era was a very interseting time and perhaps this could be looked at as well. China clay operations in Corwall would also be a good thought with class 25s etc!! I also like the modelling section and think that the editor should be given time to put his ideas forward.you can never please everyone

Is there any br blue era or scots features due in the next year or so?

• RMweb Gold

Dicky,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong but you can only edit what you have and realistically quality information and photographs from 20 years or so ago must now be running a bit thin on the ground. Of course this wont be a problem in 20 years time as every one has gone digital – you can’t move for rail-paps now days (however I suspect publishers in the future will have slightly different publication issues) – Anyway I digress, my point is that the articles in ‘Traction’ aren’t as precious as they were and they don’t seem to have the same allure as they did but I will still buy if there is a material interest. Just keep digging for gold.

Dicky,

I have read this thread with some interest and I have been talking about this to a guy at work who was a regular Traction contributor and after talking to him the one thing that really puts him and has made him give up buying the publication is the Modelling section and to be honest I have to agree with him he is into Modelling and don't want to read about it if he did he would buy Railway Modeller, Hornby Mag, BRM or even Rail Express he is also dose not want to see Adverts or 4 to 6 pages given over to Adverts. Myself I have to agree with the Modelling section I don't see the need for it there is enough out there to keep everyone happy and up-to-date with the Modelling seen but that is just my opinion, myself I have always found Traction very much full of Articles on class 37s and Western Region traction but I did like the Stories by the later retired BR traction Inspector (Sorry I have forgotten his name) recently I enjoyed reading the Articles written by the Tyne Yard Driver who's train stalled on Yarm Viaduct and the stories by Mr Mercer the Fleet Controller on the G.E. that sort of thing is a good read for me and would be nice to see more articles like these, also it would be nice to see some form Shunter, Signalmen, Guards and would it be an Idea if your struggling for martial to ask some of the preservation groups have members of staff do articles on that type of traction i.e. 56s 58s it would be nice to see a decent article done on the development and introduction of the class 60s and bring there story up to date just look on the net on these type of forums there are loads of experts on all sorts of classes of locomotives out there.

Anyway sorry its been a bit of a rant but I do like Traction and when something appeals to me in it I will buy it can I ask for more photographic articles by Tony Buckton and Eddie Parker there stuff has been class that has been published by Traction.

Cheers,

6Y99

• RMweb Gold

Dicky,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong but you can only edit what you have and realistically quality information and photographs from 20 years or so ago must now be running a bit thin on the ground.

I don't know about that, I know of several people who have photos from the last 30-40 years who have never had any (well very, very few) published, personally I started in 1976 and have only ever had about 4 photos published out of my 490k* collection, admittedly not all of them are good but plenty are unique, however I have been put off bothering by the ambivalence of past editors (of various mags, not this one in particular) who couldn't even be bothered to reply, presumably as they had plenty of choice at the time, now the pickings are leaner they may show more interest, however the bonfires have been extinguished (by natural means) - maybe others in my position have the same view ?

Yes - you read it right B)

Archived