Gaugemaster [DC] v Hornby [DCC]

I have just become the 'proud' [?] owner of a Hornby Select DCC controller.....but it came with no instructions as it was s/h. Thing is: Will it be capable of running my [still] DC fleet of locos? Or should I keep my old [but much better built] Gaugemaster twin track controller?

I am not impressed with anything Hornby, BUT, I had to make a start somewhere, and this controller was relatively cheap and until I can get a firm grounding of DCC when I will buy an upgraded Gaugemaster unit.

Programming this thing will be fun ! - NOT! :huh:

The Select is actually pretty easy to use, and for most intents and purposes its limitations don't rear their heads. It's fully capable of controlling the DC locos (select as loco '0') but it should be noted that not all non-fitted locos are 100% happy on this, and shouldn't be left sitting stationary with track power applied for very long at all. For your DC locos you'll need to maintain isolated sections for stabling etc.

The top speed of locos under the Select is lower than with most normal DC controllers, and is lower than the Bachmann EZ Command controller which is probably something to do with at rail voltage.

I think you have made some good points Paddy...........when I tried to run my [old] pannier, all that happened was a strange sound emanating from loco/controller? Dunno which, but I will keep this DCC thing on 'ice' until I can get one loco at least DCC converted. Thank you also for your help:)

The Select is actually pretty easy to use, and for most intents and purposes its limitations don't rear their heads. It's fully capable of controlling the DC locos (select as loco '0') but it should be noted that not all non-fitted locos are 100% happy on this, and shouldn't be left sitting stationary with track power applied for very long at all. For your DC locos you'll need to maintain isolated sections for stabling etc.

The top speed of locos under the Select is lower than with most normal DC controllers, and is lower than the Bachmann EZ Command controller which is probably something to do with at rail voltage.

when I tried to run my [old] pannier, all that happened was a strange sound emanating from loco/controller? Dunno which,

The noise is from the loco - it has an alternating (ish - before someone corrects me) voltage applied across it at all times which means that the motor is trying to go one way for a tiny fraction of a second, then switches to try and go the other for the next tiny fraction of the second, but on average it means it's sitting still, so the buzzing is the motor armature "jiggling" in place. What the controller does to operate a DC locomotive is it biases the direction of the pulses so that the "forward" and "back" ones are not equal in size and so then the net effect is it goes the direction the bias is towards (as the kick opposite on the armature is less than the kick in the direction of travel each "tick"), with the greater bias operating like normally ramping up the voltage would.

Overall, this shouldn't be harmful but leaving a DC loco sitting stationary (whether controlled or not) is not advised for a prolonged period of time (a minute or so is probably the most that is healthy but I try to never push it beyond 10 seconds).

A stationary DCC fitted loco doesn't apply any current across the motor and hence won't/shouldn't buzz like that unless the chip is faulty.

Ah ! I see. Thank's for giving a concise explanation. I have never dealt with DCC control or loco's before, so it's sharp learning curve for me! I must admit the ONLY reason I started back into model railways again was because of the DCC layouts and loco's with sound and interior lighting which doesn't flicker and cease when the train stops! So, You Tube - you have a lot to answer for!

:) [ I just hope the wonderful advantages of running digital trains will become a part of my experience too! ]

The noise is from the loco - it has an alternating (ish - before someone corrects me) voltage applied across it at all times which means that the motor is trying to go one way for a tiny fraction of a second, then switches to try and go the other for the next tiny fraction of the second, but on average it means it's sitting still, so the buzzing is the motor armature "jiggling" in place. What the controller does to operate a DC locomotive is it biases the direction of the pulses so that the "forward" and "back" ones are not equal in size and so then the net effect is it goes the direction the bias is towards (as the kick opposite on the armature is less than the kick in the direction of travel each "tick"), with the greater bias operating like normally ramping up the voltage would.

Overall, this shouldn't be harmful but leaving a DC loco sitting stationary (whether controlled or not) is not advised for a prolonged period of time (a minute or so is probably the most that is healthy but I try to never push it beyond 10 seconds).

A stationary DCC fitted loco doesn't apply any current across the motor and hence won't/shouldn't buzz like that unless the chip is faulty.

(can we have a better thread title please? :( )

:lol: Sorry! I forgot that most of you guys are probably married!!!!

Yes, a better topic title is required please (edit OP using full editor option)

I am a dedicated DCC user (have been for over a decade) but in this case I would really recommend you stick with the Gaugemaster.

Whilst DCC systems are perfectly capable of running DC locos there are issues - not least of which is the buzzing sound you heard coming from your loco - it's not something you want to do for too long.

Gaugemaster have a long established reputation for quality and reliability and I would not part with the two 20+ year old units I have & use for testing out repairs or running-in loco's.

If you decide to go DCC for such features as sound then you will soon outgrow the Select which is an entry level system - if possible you should try as many different systems as possible to see which best suits your budget and style of driving. If you trawl through historic RMWeb posts of "Which DCC System" then you will find as many opinions as there are makes and models of DCC but most will say to try before you buy.

Oh - if eyesight is an issue then some systems like the Roco MultiMaus and Lenz have nice big display characteers and pushbuttons/control knobs too.

Archived