Class 20 sound (merged topics)

Kylestrome

Hi

Extremely nice job you have done there and nice milling. Excellent use of the 23mm speaker. Used properly it is an fantastic speaker.

My solution is a bit drastic but the end result is very satisfying.

I assume you are happy with the results and no I dont think its drastic at all. I have put locos up in the past on a 5 axis CNC mill and used a Renishaw probe to help machine out n gauge chassis.

The housing looks very neat and I would guess it took some time to build.

Well done.

Martin

Given the nature of this installation, it would be simple to answer a question about reflex designs in small speaker enclosures.

Is the improvement heard really from a decently constructed enclosure and the reflex port is an irrelevance ? Or do reflex speakers provide improvements in such small enclosures ?

The installation looks to have left the reflex port easily accessible. What happens to the sound quality if the port is bunged up with some blue-tac or similar material ?

Ideally one would test this with some listeners who were not aware of whether the port was bunged or not, but a properly double-blind test is a lot of hassle to arrange.

- Nigel

David,

Interesting comments, but not an experimental comparison. The ESU enclosure is smaller than your reflex box.

I am torn on reflex theory ; model speakers are so tiny as to be off-the-scale by any HiFi guidelines. A lot of the theory involves maths I don't fully understand and parameters I don't have access to, hence the interest in subjective testing (where I do know what I am doing!).

I agree about the default Bachmann mounting being poor. I've boxed mine in with a bit of plasticard and a lot of blue-tac filling gaps. Its a big improvement. (I also have the Howes sounds on the chip).

- Nigel

• 9 months later...

Hi Dave

When fitted sound to a Bach 20 it's easier to use the later 21pin chassis. The early 8pin chassis was changed to allow more room for a speaker etc, it also features smaller flywheels as a result, but with no adverse effect on the running qualities. The Bach factory fitted sound models use a 20x40mm speaker under the fan, abeit with no baffle box due to the limited space avail. An alterative would be a round 18mm or so speaker blue-tacked directly under the roof fan grille, a Digitrains/Zimo so fitted 20 I worked on recently, sound very good indeed, possibly the best sounding 20 presently available. Howes also offer a dual start up version of their 20 reblow, saving the cost of 2 sound decoders, the motor etc could be removed from one model, leaving room for a decent sized speaker. This would only be suitable if the models were used permanently coupled together.

HTH

Regards

Ken

Howes also offer a dual start up version of their 20 reblow, saving the cost of 2 sound decoders, the motor etc could be removed from one model, leaving room for a decent sized speaker. This would only be suitable if the models were used permanently coupled together.

This is exactly the path I went down although i did start with a ready-fitted sound loco reblown by Howes. I used a two-pin mini-connector to connect the second, much better speaker in the dummy locomotive to the motored unit. I left the original speaker in the motored unit but there is not sufficient space for a decent speaker there and if i leave the plug disconnected the reduced sound quality is very apparent.

th_HowesTwinClass20-movie_full_4-3.jpg

It does not really matter what speaker you fit to the end of a loksound Howes 20, it still will not sound as good as a Digitrains Zimo 20, fitted with a basic 20mm Soundtraxx 8ohm speaker - blue-tac enclosure under the fan.

This made my Howes sound thin and tinny [ and I was also using dcc supplies large bass reflex speaker in a second 20, - double heading the Howes]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhhhg1VovU

Hi Guys

I'm got a pair of Bachy 20s I'd like to fit with sound. There is definately no room inside, so do Bachmann produce a different chassis to allow speaker fitment please?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave I have just fitted a South West Digital unit in my Bachy 20 just by fitting the speaker under the fan hole without the baffell box and filling it around with Blu Tack to stop sound leakage in to the body. I sounds really good and is one of the best 20 sounds around in my opinion. Andy.

Archived