ballast

alcoRS1

I was talking to my dad, who is visiting at the moment, and he starting his first section (12ftx16") US layout for UK showing, he lives in Macclesfield.

I was telling him how I ballast, by spraying down the laid ballast with Isopropyl alcohol, then glue it down with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol (70%) /acrylic matte medium and pvc glue. This leave a solid but flexible ballast that will not become brittle if transporting to shows.

he was wondering where to find

isopropyl alcohol and matte medium in the UK.

It can be found in hardware stores as paint thinner (for shellac).

It can be found in drug stores.

Matte medium can be found in arts and crafts or artist supply stores. "Modge Podge" is a brand in the US.

"Matte Medium" isn't a term generally known in the UK. Tell him he needs some "Matt Varnish"...

Matte medium ....is not matt varnish here John .....it is an acrylic paste used mainly by artists to thicken up and "matt" acrylic paints.....it can be thinned down with water and the alcohol or good old washing up liquid to glue scenery and ballast down without any of the shine you sometimes get with PVA...

Regards Trevor ... :D

• RMweb Premium

Isn't IPA (not the beer) the same as "Rubbing Alcohol" in British Chemists?

Best, Pete.

Pete

I've looked into this before when buying a big bottle of IPA for track cleaning and found that the stuff sold as 'Rubbing Alcohol' is a weaker strength than the stuff meant for cleaning. The medicinal version is about 70% or less, wheras the cleaning version is up to 99.9%. Not sure what difference it would make in the ballast application though. :D

• RMweb Gold

Matte medium ....is not matt varnish here John .....it is an acrylic paste used mainly by artists to thicken up and "matt" acrylic paints.....it can be thinned down with water and the alcohol or good old washing up liquid to glue scenery and ballast down without any of the shine you sometimes get with PVA...

Regards Trevor ... :D

Whooops! Thanks, Trevor, for correcting my mistake!

I've used matt (acrylic) varnish, diluted, as a means of securing ballast - hence putting 2+2 together and making 5..

Must brush up on my translations.. :blush:

Pete

I've looked into this before when buying a big bottle of IPA for track cleaning and found that the stuff sold as 'Rubbing Alcohol' is a weaker strength than the stuff meant for cleaning. The medicinal version is about 70% or less, wheras the cleaning version is up to 99.9%. Not sure what difference it would make in the ballast application though. :D

Not much probably, Chris; IPA is used for all purposes over here - I get mine from CVS Pharmacy

Best, Pete.

The one thing you can't find over here is: Copydex

I believe it must classified as a Class A drug...........................it's the groovy smell, man. Seriously, I asked about it elsewhere and all the suggestions by the locals were "shot down in flames" by others - one would think that "Elmers" would have something identical.

Unless someone here knows differently?

Best, Pete.

Archived