DMU Vehicles with NE prefix

leopardml2341

Hello folks,

I have seen a few photos of DMUs bearing NE prefixes, but as far as I can tell, contemporary ABCs etc. don't seem to differentiate between E & NE.

Does anyone have or know where a list / photos can be found ?

Thanks as ever.

Editted for carp typing and punctuation - past my bedtime :unsure:

Hi,

The 1968 "combined volume" definitely has dmu's with either prefix, is there a specific vehicle you need the info for ?

Chris / GKPC

Hello Chris thanks for your response - there's a few actually :-

• The Met Camm Buffet Cars
  • Any 104's
  • Any 110's

Ideally I will try to get a copy of the ABC you mention from Ebay or similar.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

The first bit I can do now but the rest will have to be tomorrow.

I will need to match the 68 Combine with a later one to ensure I look at the correct thing.

Anyway, from the 1968 Combine, Metropolitan-Cammell, Trailer Buffet Second, NE 59573 to NE59578, inclusive.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Chris / GKPC

Andy,

As far as I can tell, from the 1968 Combine, the Eastern allocated 104's and 110's were prefixed "NE".

There are others including Derby Works builds and "Trans Pennine" units showing the same prefix.

Chris / GKPC

The fact that the 68 combine, or any other printed list, shows the NE prefix does not necessarily mean the vehicle in question carried it. (Or still carried it at the date the list was compiled - usually several months earlier) I learnt long ago never to believe anything printed in an Ian Allan publication unless it could be reliably verified elsewhere.

Edited in the light of next post.

My Winter 1961/2 Combined Volume has no DMMU vehicles numbered with NE prefixes.

That has got the tired old cogs turning!

Did not the Great Eastern section start using GE prefixes about the time the Clacton express units were introduced? In which case was it at the same time that NE prefixes began to be used? Perhaps someone has time to trawl through ROs of the period as it would seem that only personal observations and clear photos will tell us which vehicles received the NE prefix.

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, the North & South Tyneside electrics, which would also have been NER - and were hardly going to be drafted anywhere else in a hurry as DMMUs might be! - also lacked NE prefixes. They are shown neither in the lists, nor in a pic of a NT twin artic unit, which clearly has an E prefix. GE and LT&S electric sets are quoted in there by set number, not by vehicle.

Did not the Great Eastern section start using GE prefixes about the time the Clacton express units were introduced? In which case was it at the same time that NE prefixes began to be used?

Open to correction but I dont think the two timelines are particularly linked (GE certainly went out of use generally earlier than NE, which personal recollection suggests was reasonably common on blue or blue/grey DMUs). I also dont think NE was used on the introduction of DMUs, but was adopted at some later point

• RMweb Gold

Open to correction but I dont think the two timelines are particularly linked (GE certainly went out of use generally earlier than NE, which personal recollection suggests was reasonably common on blue or blue/grey DMUs). I also dont think NE was used on the introduction of DMUs, but was adopted at some later point

I have a recollection of seeing some mu sets with the 'N' added (fairly neatly so presumably a transfer?) in front of the original 'E' prefix but I can't recall seeing it on early dmus on the NERegion.

I too don't see any link with the 'GE' (which I can only recall on the then new Clacton maroon liveried sets if my memory is in any sort of working order) because the North Eastern Region was a long established separate Region while the Great Eastern Lines organisation was part of an early 1960s Eastern Region organisational change which introduced the 'Lines' management structure with separate managements for the Great Northern and Great Eastern sides. I think the 'Lines' organisations were dead and buried sometime before the merger of the Eastern and North Eastern Regions.

The last picture on this page http://www.railcar.c.../110vehicle.htm has a helpful caption, perhaps?

It was actually this picture that inspired the question :-

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/53amodels/picture/67YK-NE56135.jpg

but I don't have a Cravens unit - yet !

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

Andy.

That has got the tired old cogs turning!

Did not the Great Eastern section start using GE prefixes about the time the Clacton express units were introduced? In which case was it at the same time that NE prefixes began to be used? Perhaps someone has time to trawl through ROs of the period as it would seem that only personal observations and clear photos will tell us which vehicles received the NE prefix.

I have a DVD featuring footage of the 'Clacton' units and I'm pretty sure they're shown as 'GE' - will have to go check and report back !

Carp typing again - must be time for bed !

• RMweb Premium

Have finally dug iut my 1960's spotting books and have found the following,

1964 / 1965 Hull area

NE56128/NE50369 NE56135/NE50364 NE50380/NE56118

NE50559/NE59223/NE50572

August 1966. Kirkham and Wesham

NE51430 NE51498 NE59701

NE50576 NE59205 NE59217 NE50577

Also seen that day were M79009 M79601 M79647.

Hope this is of interest.

Simon

Have finally dug iut my 1960's spotting books and have found the following,

1964 / 1965 Hull area

NE56128/NE50369 NE56135/NE50364 NE50380/NE56118

NE50559/NE59223/NE50572

August 1966. Kirkham and Wesham

NE51430 NE51498 NE59701

NE50576 NE59205 NE59217 NE50577

Also seen that day were M79009 M79601 M79647.

Hope this is of interest.

Simon

Absoluteley brilliant !

Thanks very much.

Abdy

• RMweb Premium

Just seen this:-

http://davesyorkshirerailwayarchive.fotopic.net/p62783842.html

Me thinks NE prefix on Blue Grey livery; not seen that before ! :blink:

It certainly is an NE prefix Andy, there were a few TP cars that gained Blue/Gray and NE letters. Of course all the green ones carried that prefix.

I did have the makings of a list at one time, but where it is now I dont know.

Regards

Simon

It certainly is an NE prefix Andy, there were a few TP cars that gained Blue/Gray and NE letters. Of course all the green ones carried that prefix.

I did have the makings of a list at one time, but where it is now I dont know.

Regards

Simon

Simon, are you aware of any all over blue units with NE prefix - I guess they would've had the smaller font size as well?

Re the painted window frames on the Met-Cam, both Donny and York were trying airless spraying at this time, a few Met-Cams got this treatment around this time. i can remember a couple in the 5022x series like this. Re 50276 this could be a Derby repaint as Donny and York usually painted a much larger version on the seven pointed star.

On some of the Met-Cam allocation we had at BG in the 70s, the small size lettering could be seen under the paint some of these also had NE a well. A couple of the Trans-Pennine also had the NE prefixes, DMC 1952 and MBSL 1977 are two I recall some of the TSLs had signs of been prefixed NE as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived