St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

You found it. Was wondering where it had gone, thanks.

Ok, will add the update to the list of things to do. Just had a weekend from hell with me going down with a nasty flu type bug from Thursday evening until ..................? Still suffering.

• 4 months later...

I hope to post some more things about progress soon.

My problem is that I am too easily distracted by other things model railway rather than getting on with the actual layout.

The track is largely in place with only the Royal Mail, Goods Exchange shed  and loco shed to sort out.

I am awaiting the shed to be laser cut for me to arrive and it being built so i can finalise the track and clearances.

But I tend to dabble in things off the layout such as building my Class 108 DMU, DCC uncoupling, Sound installs and trying all sorts of things out on the layout but contribute nothing visible to take photos of.

I need to build the over bridge at the far end of the layout above the buffer stops that will have the main station buildings on and the covered stairs down to the platform.

All sorts of things on a list that is twice as long as a toilet roll.

Having only two days a week at home does not help as I work away from home. But doing that does allow me to build stock at times when I get chance in my apartment in Bristol.

No chance of anything this weekend, got visitors then one weekend at home then away the next. So it could be nearly a month before I get much chance to do much.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Not much happening this weekend, got visitors who are impressed with the layout and operation using RR&Co. To see 6 sound fitted locos and trains all running at once with no collisions was well enjoyed.

Must go, breakfast to sort out.

Thanks guys,

The camera is a GoPro Hero3 Black. The BBC use loads of them as they can produce broadcast standard video. But YouTube is not the best place to watch them as it always seems to dull them down. When they are played back on a HD TV the video is stunning. I use mine all over the place from kayaking to cycling to even in the motor home behind the windscreen recording all the interesting places we go.

I think I will redo the video but with the other locos having their sound on but at a low level so as to not drown out the DMU and you only hear them as you pass them.

This is a fine example of how I get distracted from actually building the layout. Plan was to do the platform tops this weekend. Oh well its only Saturday morning so there is time yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than clog up the thread about the Nailsea show with my videos of my Brit on Apethorne Junction, I am posting the last two on here.

If you have never seen the layout, Apethorne that is, do try to get to see it as it is brilliant. Simple but brilliant. The track is peco, it works as good as flawlessly as you will ever get, the buildings and scenery are very good and the people who operate it a lot better than I do are a great bunch of guys.

Its the one layout I have seen in all my model railway life that has caused the biggest impact and ultimately responsible for me going O.

So for this and ten thousand other reasons I would like to say thanks for everything guys. Truly an incredible weekend.

Anyway, back to real life and my own layout.

Hi Steve,

The sound is SWD. Its a shame I could not drive and video at the same time as it does not show off the capabilities of the sound project well enough.

You can switch between high and low chuffs so as to give the impression load without speed change. Also the draincocks work in time with the piston strokes.

And then there is the ability to listen to the loco still on load but at a lower load setting when at speed by going down one speedstep. Two speed steps down and you go into cruise mode with the sound of clanking of the valve gear.

If you shut off the regulator it slows clanking to a stop in line with the deceleration you have set using CV's.

Well  worth having. The black five project is equally impressive.

The architecture of the V3.5 and V4 are very different as well as the memory capacity. Whilst you can have the sound files reblown for a better 'sound' the operating side of things will be very different.

In my opinion, not worth it.

Just by way of an aside, diesel projects are sounding very good. Some nice features others are struggling to do.

• 1 month later...

Progress report.

Layout wise its the platforms that have made the most progress as my goods shed has not arrived yet so unable to slew the trackwork into its final position that will serve the goods shed and the adjacent siding that will become the loco servicing road.

But platform wise its going quite well and again its an area that makes you realise just how big and long some of the structures are on and O gauge layout. One platform alone is 11ft long. But three of the four platform structures are built and partly painted. The two main platforms at the main station are largely done construction wise and just need joints between the platform edging filling to cover gaps etc and also small voids between the paving slabs and platform edging. Terrible job cutting such large bits of sheeting to try to reduce tell tale joints.

The third platform is at a similar state as the main platforms with some jointing tidying up needed and more painting. The third platform is the original terminus of the railway and on the curved approach to what is now the bigger extended station called St. Davids. The original station was called Bishops Palace with St. Davids in smaller text below it.

It reflects the facts that it was the clergy and the cathedral that dominated life around the area and the busy years when railways were spreading their fingers across the country. So the local clergy knowing the importance of the cathedral and that two pilgrimages to St. Davids equaled one to Rome hit on the idea of making life easier for visitors to get to the area by providing them with a rail service. Of course the head man himself has a lot of influence on the railways development and saw it rather as a nice little perk and allowed him to come and go far more easily making trips up to Llandaff quite comfortable in his own train and insisted the station was named after his primary residence. Hence Bishops Palace.

But time moved on, attendance in St. Davids dwindled and the clergy looked for support from the outside world in keeping their line open and they turned east for help. No point looking west, nothing there other than sea water for quite a long way so it was to the far east, Gods Wonderful Railway and Swindon that help was sort from.

Paddington got wind of the approach and orders were issued to Swindon to go west and see what could be done to absorb this little line into the bigger plans the GWR had in West Wales.

The line to St. Davids was a dead end branch off the main line to Milford Haven splitting at Haverfordwest and going via Newgale and Solva before turn down the river Alan valley and to its curved terminus just by the cathedral outer walls.

But Swindon and Paddington had ideas to develop Fishguard as its Trans Atlantic Port with plans already showing a few options as to routes to achieve the GWR's dreams. Also the port would provide the shortest crossing to southern Ireland so traffic would be considerably higher than if it was just used for long distance cruisers across the pond to the colonies.

The route planners, the people responsible for earthworks and buildings soon cottoned on to the fact they already had a very good line into north Pembrokeshire in the shape of the line to St. Davids. Why not develop it into a small junction terminus station fed off a triangular formation a short distance along the Alan valley allowing fast services to run from London to Fishguard direct or via St. Davids with the trains reversing there too then run up to Fishguard via Croes Goch, Mathry and then into Goodwick and what is known as Fishguard harbour.

Local traffic would be high due to poor roads in the area with people in St. Davids having access to direct services in either direction, Fishguard to the north and London via Haverfordwest, Carmarthen and Swansea. It seemed a sensible idea and permission was given to take control of the line to St. Davids after agreements with the Bishop of St. Davids and work started soon afterwards.

The station area was moved to the area it now occupies with three platform faces, goods and parcel facilities as well as a loading dock for local businesses to use to move their goods around and out of the area.

Loco turning was taken care of by using the triangle not far away from the station so the need for a turntable to perform this function.

It took nearly three years for the line and station area to be upgraded due to its proximity to the cathedral and conditions laid down by the clergy. The line north to Fishguard was finished a year later and the port flourishing quickly with high passenger numbers as well as a considerable amount of freight being shipped into and out of the port.

With nationalisation in 1948 and the joining up of the routes of the Cambrian Railway via Carmarthen, Cardigan, Aberaeron, Aberystwyth and into the Cambrian allowed north Wales, West Wales services to develop and St Davids saw quite a variety of stock and locos arriving in its station. Western Region, Midland Region and at times Southern would grace its facilities for various reasons. The Southern Region using it when boat services failed to make the ports of Portsmouth and Southampton but able to make Fishguard and at times of high traffic when the ports down south were just too full to cope.

So there it is, a brief history of the railway in west Wales and my station layout called St. Davids. There is more but I wont bore you with it. If your down West Wales do call in and say hello and see it for yourself.

Cambrian Coaster of RM Web did just that yesterday and hopefully he left with a favourable impression of how things are developing.

From a loco point of view things have moved on from an all green diesel fleet to a mixed bag of kettles and oil burners. Odd really as it was only at Telford last year that I bit the bullet and decided to introduce a kettle in the shape of a Britannia with it being delivered in late January for it to be joined soon afterwards by a Lionheart 45XX, a Manor (7801) paid for today from Fine Scale Brass and to be collected at the O Gauge summer show and a 2MT tank undergoing construction. That leaves me needing one small tank which all being well could be the 15XX that is being talked about on another thread.

Photos of progress. none. I will do some once I get a free weekend to take some. This being typed whilst away from home earning pennies to pay for all this. I dont get chance to type such long stories as this at home as I am too busy doing as I am told by SWMBO and of course working on the layout. Also loyts of visiotrs as well this year that keeps me away from doing the important stuff on the layout. But I will post some photos ASAP.

Have fun in your own world what ever it looks like.

Just thought, the easiest way to show the platform and track formation is in the video I posted about test running the new Lionheart 45XX on my layout.

The platform edge you can see at the beginning is for use by loco crew to alight from their charge and walk around onto the main platforms and offices as this narrow edge continues around the back of the buffer stops onto platform 2 & 3 and again around buffer stops to platform 1.

After departure, the head shunt buffers stop where the loading dock will be in the curve of the track and the head shunt that serves the good shed which will occupy the two tracks that are go off to the right as the 45XX moves forward with one of the tracks occupied by my Britannia. The two tracks will be slewed outwards onto a new section of board yet to be built to accommodate the new gods shed etc when it arrives.

The other track with the coal bunkers along side will also be slewed and for the engine servicing road.

After crossing over the double slip and the end of platform 1 you see the curved platform of the now closed station called Bishops Palace. Its supposedly closed to normal traffic but served by specials for the Bishops and visiting Royalty as well as paying guests. Loco crews also use it as a stopping off point to fill tea pots, get sandwiches and generally abuse the area as they move their locos around the station area shunting etc.

After passing the stabled Mk1's the train will enter a tunnel, over bridge which marks the limit of the scenic part of the layout. Of course in real life this is where the locos and trains went off to the triangle to be turned or off to Fishguard or east to Haverfordwest etc.

Hope this shows and explains a little better then my long post above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEUcR5z7qw

Great stuff mate, don't forget Carmarthen always had one castle on its books just in case you fancied one. Named expresses both the red dragon and Pembroke Coast express all started from the far points in the west of gods country.

Plenty of pics of moguls with the Pembroke coast express head board, also neyland always had a county on its books. Then you had the Cambrian stuff coming down from Aberystwyth.

I will have to come over and have a look at your layout at some point.

Oh I'm Ranelagh Bridge on Facebook so get in touch and I've started a 7mm 15xx pannier kit page. We are up to 29 followers already after one day

Hi Steve,

Yes, do come down. Only just down the road from you :)

Will have a look at your facebook page, sounds interesting.

As for the loco list that operates in the west Wales area, my shopping bill for this year is high enough without being tempted even more.

I had thought of rerouting some of the named trains that operating in the area so that they called at St. Davids.

I fancied claiming the Cathedrals Express or The City Express as named trains, perhaps a plate maker may make them up for me. Dam, more expense. !

Just another thought and to add of my list of pending kettles, Black 5 due September from Tower models.

So a few kettles to join the oil burners made up of 08, Brush 2, Hymek, EE Type 3, EE Type 4, Peak, Brush 4's, Deltics, Westerns and first generation DMU what is now know as a two car 108.

Then there are maroon Mk1's, BG, TPO GUV and various goods wagons. Just about enough to populate the layout to gridlock.

And the layout is run by ECoS 2, RR&Co which does a good job of trying to avoid gridlock.

Archived