St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

According to AnyRail it works like shown below.

Using the measurements of the turntable sent by Steve it does fit quite nicely in the space I have. Not the final version but it will give me a nice little steam shed.

post-6682-0-81873400-1404760185_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy

Looking good, but. have you thought how you are going to turn the locos in the storage yard, can you run a line from one of the storage roads to the turntable? its a problem I'm wrestling with as well.

Ian

You could go for a cassette at the end of the storage road that you could just spin around, I used a crude version on canton.

You could use aluminium L angle fixed to some MDF nicely polished on the under side so it turns easy.

Today it was time to order a turntable :sungum:

I phone Metal Smiths with credit card in hand to do the deed and order the GWR 65ft version like Steve's in ready built format along with mounting base board and indexing stepper motor.

Conversation went well and then the bombshell. Problem getting RTR version as it seems their builder has left and there is already quite a backlog of orders. :cry:

So at the moment, I don't have one on order.

The thing is, am I in a hurry to get this done, I suppose not as its summer and I have other things to do. Am I just putting myself even further back in the queue by not ordering now and waiting. Don't know due to there being no RTR version available. Can I find some one to build it for me as I definitely don't have the time for it due to other projects on the go.

Oh dear, what a dilemma.  

As for linking fiddle yard to the turntable, defiantly not. Will look very silly to me. Cassette system, no not really as I think that the fact some locos arrive tender first will add to the operational flavour of the layout and of course the turntable will make sure that they leave facing the right direction.

PM sent Steve.

Thought, I could buy the turntable base board, stepper motor and indexing unit and install them in the yet to be built extension base board and then wait for a RTR deck to be built at some future date.

It would mean the biggest part of the installation part will be done and then all it needs is the dropping in of the deck when it arrives.

Maybe. Will think about this and decide in a few weeks time.

An update on the turn table saga.

I am getting a RTR one and should be with me by September. Its a Ransomes & Rapier Well Type 70ft version so will take anything I have a little bit of future proofing

Happy or what.

Fully indexed, DCC interface, RR&Co interface possible. Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My Black 5 is out of coal so new supplies have arrived to solve the problem.

Good Welsh steam coal of course.

post-6682-0-64278000-1406299937_thumb.jpg

Please don't let the guards van nutters, scale police and rivet counters see this otherwise I am doomed.

That was delivered with an XL.

You often end up going north to Petes layout and run long rakes of coaches behind your locos.

Max length with me is two BR Mk1's so light lids and can get away with the OO decoder in my Black 5 & Manor. But would certainly change them for XL's if I was doing what you do.

Also there is the mounting of them. The XL won't fit in the fire box boiler area so it's a tender job with a connector which can be a pain. Easy to fit OO version in the loco direct wired to the motor.

I'm thinking of the OO sound chips then I can just pop a zimo in to take up Petes simple with a little block connector, one of the guys over Jeffs, Barry who does a lot with Steve at SWD is convinced you don't really need the XL. On Petes though I think you would but to shuffle about on Ranelagh I don't think I will.

Yes, shuffling around on Ranelagh would only need the OO version unless you have some very heavy duty motors in your locos which I doubt very much. There is only the loco to move about but if you put ten Mk1's behind it I think the limit would be breached on amperage.

Then its over to a bigger decoder such as the XL.

With a bass reflex speaker positioned under the chimney you will get very good results. That's what's in my Brit, Black 5, Manor and BR Standard 2MT tank but in the 2MT the speaker is mounted sideways on in the side in one of the tanks. It may get moved soon.

If you do go for the OO V4, think about adding the ESU Power Pack as well as it stops stuttering, dirty track / wheels syndrome so the sound is smoother as it crosses points etc.  

I know Barry well enough, we have a common interest in what you have mentioned above. He is into kettles,  me oil burners.

I've just sold my 3.5's and would like to get a V4 in the Brit before Wycrail when I take the Brit with me to run on Canton. The black 5 they had at Jeff's the week before last was brilliant and that was a 4mm with bass reflex.

My Brit had a good 3 hours running at Petes a few weeks ago so I probably wouldn't take it for another year and when the track goes down on RB il take them less as the Less moving around in and out of the boxes the better. But as I say I could just pop a zimo in if I want to take them for a run.

I can pop over if you want some help. It takes less than a hour to do the job of fitting the OO V4 if you have some basic tools and bits of plastic card to hand.

Hardest job is getting the body off the chassis.

The Black 5 is nice, it turned heads at the O Gauge Bristol show when I was doing demos. The ability to go from soft to hard bark chuffs is very useful. Excellent clank as well with no power on at low speed.

Ok mate I won't be getting a V4 until the end of next month. The wiring is still in place in the Brit from when DJH did it so the wires are right in the smoke box plus I've got plug and sockets between loco and tender.

What bass reflex do you recommend?

My 7mm Black 5 gets a run in on the roller test bed.

Its fitted with an ESU Loksound V4 OO version which for the type fo running is adequate for the loco. The maximum load is two Mk1's or six to seven wagons so the decoder has enough oomph to cope with this.

http://youtu.be/TP449rVdR1U

Archived