St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Have finally got around to putting finger to keyboard to come up with a track plan and this has come out of AnyRail.

Whilst it may be not exactly a prototypical type track plan it should allow a reasonable amount of freedom in movements.

May rearrange things slightly around the small black oblong which will be a goods shed to make it a bit more useable but that will happen when I get to the track laying stage.

There is room for big diesels and MK1 coaches but obviously only short trains, one loco & two MK1's. But there is room for wagons and shunting so it should ok.

Only need one more double slip, one right hand point and more flexi track to complete the track list.

post-6682-086813300 1289583022_thumb.jpg

I'm going for late 60's with green diesels but I think I may well end up with a kettle or two. I fancy a Britannia which has always been my favourite but the Black 5's from Tower Models look rather nice. May be one to be had at the Reading show.

So its soon time to dismantle my OO layout which was never finished but has been a touch over twenty years in the making, too much time away. Then its base board building which will be easy as the layout is all on one level unlike the current OO one.

And thanks for the welcome Bob, it feels good to be 'O'

Hi John,

Yes, could well swap around the cross over. I had originally thought about two platforms and that's why the cross over is as it is. But after some thought it would have limited the area beyond it so gave up on the idea. It would have been too much parallel track.

You are right and perhaps I will change it around to give the platform face a bit more room. Thanks. :)

• RMweb Premium

Nice plan, I like the flow.

On a separate note, I read the title of the thread and thought Exeter St Davids in O, wow that i'll be something to see, someones got a lot of space. laugh.gif That'll teach me to jump to conclusions when reading a title biggrin.gif

Yes, its Peco track and the curve is radius 40.5 inches. It corresponds to the Lenz O gauge track of which I have a full circle of their 'set track' and have tested the diesel locos I have on.

Currently I have Heljan Brush 4, EE Type 3 and a Bachmann Brassworks 08. Have Deltic on order and hopefully JLTRT EE Type 4 and a Peak to come. Cannot quite make my mind up on a EE Type 1.

Thanks for the welcome to O Paul, should have done it years ago.

As for St.Davids, yes a real city with no railway. Nearly did but not quite. :rolleyes:

Been thinking of adding OHLE to the layout. Always wanted to do it in OO and in particular DC stuff for EM1's and 2's. The article in Railway Modeller on building them really hit a note with me but of course no RTR yet. Heljan may be B)

So will have to look to JLTRT and their offering for a solution.

The Woodhead looks seems to fit in with my thoughts, ideas, era etc just a bit out of its way far west in deepest, darkest Wales.

Come on please, will some one make my mind up for me. :lol:

Well, it would certainly add a fairly unique look to your layout I must say!

I'm guessing that you would have to scratchbuild the catenary?

Don't forget about multiple units too!

But, as a (presumably) fictitious electrified branch - why not? I certainly am one for doing it differently.

Just be aware that to do it THAT differently would be a long hard slog (but worth it!).

Cheers,

John E.

Hi John, Already had a certain amount of modeller license on my OO St.Davids but it was a complex bust through station rather than a small terminus which it will be now. But it will be a challenge ans worth the effort. Once I get the track laid and configured properly, it will be then the hard choice will be made as to go down the DC OHLE route or not.

Marc, best place in the world for me out there on the edge of beyond. Will try to get the cathedral in but don't forget it sits in a hollow to keep it out of sight of the Vikings. So possibly not in view of the railway.

Marc, best place in the world for me out there on the edge of beyond. Will try to get the cathedral in but don't forget it sits in a hollow to keep it out of sight of the Vikings.......

Well, you could just model the clock tower!

I agree, it's one of my fave places too.

Oh if only there was a railway there!....

Cheers

Marc

Porthgain up the road for railways. Ship Inn not bad as well. :)

Yep, I've often thought Porthgain would be a good place to model.

The railway there looks as if it must have been fab....

...all that slate, and the lovely port + seaside location!

I've got a smashing little book on the railway there,

and have often wondered why no-one has modelled the line.

Ship Inn is great, yes!

Nice food, good beer, great setting :D

Marc

And the pub has the name boards from the old boats that operated out of the harbour above the seats inside. Great place.

Look at the cottages on the left as you arrive and look at the slate roofs. The slate is off a wreck myself and a friend worked to bring it all up. Lots of places around the area benefited from it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

.....Look at the cottages on the left as you arrive and look at the slate roofs. The slate is off a wreck myself and a friend worked to bring it all up. Lots of places around the area benefited from it. :)

Forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I have some piccies of Porthgain,

and the cottages you mention. I know them well, and have often dreamed of a 7mm NG layout,

based in the area - I think it would look fab!

There are further "modellogenic" structures all round the place,

the ruined old industrial buildings on the very steep hillside for instance.

(In the background of those lovely cottages, and to the right of the harbour shot)

....and I'd love a model of the "blue lagoon" - complete with rails all about the place.

Appologies again for attaching these pics,

but I thought others would like to see the area we are talking about!

Cheers

Marc

post-2973-050180700 1291993778_thumb.jpg

post-2973-095064300 1291993787_thumb.jpg

post-2973-029706400 1291993799_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures, thanks. The deal was done in the Ship Inn opposite the cottages to sell the slate.

The blue lagoon you refer to was at the other end of the network and often sees me there at weekends sampling the delights of the bay. Only ten minutes away for me. :D

Hi TTG,

Welcome the world of O gauge! I'm only a recent convertee, but already enjoying it. The track plan looks good. What radius is the 180 degree curve from the fiddle yard? I only ask because from your plan it looks like the width of the layout is about 7.5 foot? Which would give a radius of just over 3.5' at best - might be a tight for coaching stock ... i'm thinking of buffer locking etc....

I'm no expert by any means (long way off!) but I was told that 6' radius curves are great, 5 foot are ok, don't go below 4.5' as you get problems with bogies on diesels reaching the maximum turn etc... Only a comment!

But welcome, and keep us up to date with it.

Rich

Hi Rich,

The curves around to the fiddle yard are based on the 2nd radius 'setrack' curves from the Lenz range of O gauge track.

I bought a full circle from A & H to see if my Heljan 47, 37 & Mk1's would go around them and its OK. Certainly would not want to go any smaller. But its OK. As most of the layout is straight and the points Peco then the station area should be OK for normal movements across them all, forward or backward. My 08 will go around just about anything so not an issue.

I know its a bit tight around it but all movements around the curve will be in the forward direction so should be OK, fingers crossed. If not its back to the drawing board.

I rather like your Clifford Road layout, watching it with great interest as it builds into a nice looking layout. Having been OO for most part of my time on this planet with a brief spell in N, I seem to have been drawn to O with the idea of getting back to modelling and building things.

JLTRT Loco's are a bit of a no no due to time and my painting skills not being up to much but have really enjoyed building wagons and tempted by the EASY Build DMU 108. I asked about a two car RTR 108 and its £1200 which may well be worth it but a tad high. Following with great interest the posts on building one and I could well get one at the Bristol show in January.

Looking at getting a JLTRT 40 built on commission in the new year which along with the Deltic are for me by far the best locos out there.

Once Xmas is over, I will break up my current layout and start on the boards for the new O one. Straight forward simple boards the same as the ones that have lasted 20 years. Chip board and 2 x 4 framing.

I'll post pictures once things get going layout wise and some rolling stock stuff in about two weeks once I'm home again.

Archived