St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Good one Steve,

The picture is taken on my birthday but 4 years too early. Ideal name for my layout though.

I am talking to Richard about the 43XX he is deveolping which may well get added to my pending kettle list.  

If its as good as the 45XX its going to be an absolute winner.

• 1 month later...

The next loco to join the local shed is a Fine Scale Brass Manor 7801 Anthony Manor.

Beautiful model, lovely runner.

San Cheng Black 5 from Tower models arrives Tuesday.

The steam fleet is growing quite nicely. There will be a Class 2MT tank as well soon with a pause then whilst the next model is released by the makers.

post-6682-0-68910400-1402245757_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-38230000-1402245798_thumb.jpg

The Black 5 has arrived but it will be this weekend before it makes it home to St. Davids.

Nice model. Need to add ESU Loksound XL decoder which will go in the tender with the speaker directly mounted below the chimney.

post-6682-0-55379900-1402420857_thumb.jpg

Yes, I think so as well.

One 2MT Tank to go and a pause for the 15XX and that's it I think for my steam stud.

Diesel wise its a wait for the Heljan Warship.

Not interested in Falcon, Kestrel or even Lion if they do it.

Hi Ian,

It runs ok, not quite as smooth as the Brit but still very good. No complaints.

It has a ESU Loksound XL decoder in the tender with a bass reflex speaker under the chimney with the loco and tender linked with 9 pin JST plug and socket arrangement.

Will do the same for the Black 5.

Will possibly change the speaker for a QSI High Bass Speaker and enclosure. Needs a little bit of tweaking to fit but it looks possible.

Actually Ian, the radius is 4 foot.

Well I am going to take a big risk and hope the O Gauge scale police in the shape of Adrian BS are not viewing the following photos as there are Heljan and Skytrex products in them.

Had a an hour to play so test fitted some Slaters fencing to a platform and place some total inappropriate non scale, lacking in detail, incorrectly built over priced badly researched  items on the layout and took some photos.

The crane is a Peco on with it just placed on the platform and will sit a bit flatter once its base is glued down.

Am I happy, of course I am as its my layout so there ABS. Not a single product from him at all and no plans to buy any. Hope the next fours passes quickly.   

post-6682-0-94193300-1402842765_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-65999500-1402842791_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-28673200-1402842814_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have upgraded the sound project on a ESU V4 Loksound XL in one of my O Gauge Heljan Class 47's to the new South West Digital U-Drive standard. I have their U-Drive sound projects in my O Gauge Black 5 & Britannia so thought I would see what its like in a diesel. Its also available for other scales other than O

Below are some videos done today to try to capture the sound from the loco using a Go Pro camera mounted to give a cab view effect.

As for the new sound project, its very good, very responsive and as it says on the SWD web site just like driving the real thing.

This project responds to throttle demands as it would on the actual loco. So if you wang open the throttle the loco accelerates in accordance with the inertia settings you have in the decoder but the sound tracks the throttle position. This gives a more realistic operating feel to things and is the same as you would find on the loco.

If you open the throttle a long way the sound picks up very quickly in response to the throttle demand but equally drops back quickly when the throttle is brought back a notch or two with the sound dropping to hi speed idle and then low speed idle with a nice turbo whine as it spools down.

It really is very responsive with a change of one speed step up or down resulting in a sound change. Its that quick ! It is different to past sound projects and for me very realistic because of the way it mimics the throttle position and response to throttle change.

Have a listen to the sound in the videos. Its not the best way to capture it as sound on a PC and YouTube are not exactly brilliant but it will give you some idea of what its like. .

There are three videos with the first two doing runs on my layout. The last one is for start up and shut down sequences.

The usual SWD functions are included such as fade in and fade out on F1 when the loco is running, great when the loco goes off the scenic part of the layout, and all the guards whistle, horns, brake sounds, coupler function, track squeal  and light functions as standard.  

The other useful function is auto uncouple so the loco moves back a small distance to slacken / open the couplings before moving forward a small distance to clear the couplings, all with  engine and coupling sounds of course. This is very useful with Kadee or tension lock style couplings and works very well.

If you have any questions I will try my best to answer them.

http://youtu.be/JjOeHYYn47E

http://youtu.be/JxOXbKHIKfc

http://youtu.be/ru0Upik4jIk

Thanks. There are four monitors, three nineteen inch and one 32 inch Samsung LCD TV that is being used as a monitor.

All of them are for use with RR&Co for train control, loco programming and other PC based DCC stuff.

I tend to have the Dawlish web cam running full screen on the big Samsung one, looks great in HD

Having been to see Steve Fay of Ranelagh Bridge fame last Wednesday eveing and been subjected to his ability to add to my shopping list of things such as lots of O gauge steam locos he has now convinced me I need a turntable. :nono:

Not quite but very close. :sungum:

So St. Davids will have a new extension in the shape of a new board approx. 4ft long that will sit at 90 degrees to the left of the end of the station area. It will mean a slight re alignment of what I call the reception road and is currently used by freight trains and light locos that then reverse into the loco servicing area and goods shed area, still under construction.   

I will post a draft track plan once I get chance, next week I expect.

But this will add quite a bit of operational interest to the layout and free up one track in the goods shed area to be used for general stabling of parcel coaches.

Why add it, Its Steve fault really. He has got me into steam and steam needs a turntable. So be warned, Mr Fay has ways of playing with your mind that can damage your wallet. :jester:

Having been to see Steve Fay of Ranelagh Bridge fame last Wednesday eveing and been subjected to his ability to add to my shopping list of things such as lots of O gauge steam locos he has now convinced me I need a turntable. :nono:

Why add it, Its Steve fault really. He has got me into steam and steam needs a turntable. So be warned, Mr Fay has ways of playing with your mind that can damage your wallet. :jester:

Hi Andy

Fancy blaming poor Steve, after all I was100% diesel until you brought that Brit to my layout now ive got 2 steamers and another possible, are the pair of you in cahoots or what!!!!!!

Ian

MOK 15XX is already on order / reserved. Another Steve item. JLTRT 94XX as well

No, will not be going for the Gas Turbine. Oh no the phone is ringing, I think its from Cwmbran. I may be getting one yet :no:

Well I am moving on with an addition to the track plan / layout.

Below is what it currently is with all the track laid, points motorised, track circuiting etc. platforms in place and largely finished except for final painting, cracks filling and the other little jobs you don't get around to.

But I need an engine shed with a turn table to cope with my ever increasing number of steam locos. This will be in the area to the right of the layout on a board 90 degrees to the current arrangement.

There is room for a turntable but its how it is connected to the rest of the layout. I have few things in mind from slewing the track that is right next to the new board and curve it up onto the new board or add a point into it and then curve it around on to the new board.

The track in question is what I call my reception road that goods and parcel trains use to arrive and then reverse into the goods shed and parcels handling area.

So, I will have a play in AnyRail and see what I can come up with. More later.

post-6682-0-22545300-1404754308_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's my preferred plan as the stub that is left after the point of the original track will do as a station pilot stabling area.

Arriving goods / parcel trains would take the curved portion of the point and onto the new reception track and the engine shed area.

It will be 'compact' but it should work.

Archived