St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

• RMweb Gold

The one moved to Minehead has been painted in the old GWR building colours. I cannot be sure if that is correct.

http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/article.php/664/minehead-turntable/6c5ff4581fbbffd446b3eefc3d90b542

Don

They were definitely painted in that style in BR 'chocolate & cream' so it could well be correct in style (dunno about the colours tho').

Very nice turntable TTG - I was looking at them at Reading yesterday, and they are superb quality - I was also very Impressed by the Agenoria Models 5" Gauge Class 25, superbly detailed model - I did not ask the price !! :nono:

Cheers.

Bob.

Thanks Bob. Mike has put a lot of effort in making the turntables and has sold quite a few now.

I was so tempted by so many things yesterday and I am not sure how I managed to resist the Black 5's, Castles and a Grange. I wanted all five locos in the classes listed but three would have done.

If Tower, Steamlines and Fine Scale Brass still have them at Bristol they will be going in my pocket along with some of the MTH coaches. But I made do with the turntable and pannier plus loads of smaller items.

Richard said the new 43XX will hopefully be ready Q2 so one of those will be seen at St. Davids in the spring / summer as I have reserved one.  

Tough life being a 7mm modeller. Who said 7mm RTR was in short supply.

Look for pictures of Cardiff and Churston they had the same design turntable. As for the shade of dirt I'd go for a really dirty shade

Careful when masking MDF, use a good decorators low fac masking tape, normal masking tape pulls the fibres of the MDF slightly

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a good day with the turn table being fitted into the cut-out and bolted in.

In fact it went not too badly. A slight wobble with the jig saw but the edge of the cut-out is hidden under some nice laser cut rings so its no problem at all if the hole is not exactly smooth edged.

I have test run it with the GF Control Unit attached and programmed in some dummy positions that are about where the approach track and one road of the engine shed. Programming is so so easy.

Now to get on and do the track work and of course paint the turn table.

Thanks Mike, another masterpiece. Can I have an engine shed please now.

At least now I can plan the depot and make another shopping list ready for the Bristol Show on 25th January.

Just to add one thing, AnyRail the layout planning software has so far not failed once in allowing me to test fit everything on a PC before drilling or cutting anything. I would recommend it to any one wanting to see what they can fit in the space they have. Its work fort the layout before this and its worked for the turntable.

post-6682-0-88240100-1419087561_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-97888100-1419087569_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-92335400-1419087577_thumb.jpg

Got the chance to have a cab ride in a DMU out and back into St. Davids and took the video camera along.

http://youtu.be/OZqpJczZJP0

http://youtu.be/5XfE5_AGJj4

What decoder and sound project did you install in the DMU. I have a Class 108/generic 1st Generation DMU chip that is rather disappointing. Yours sounds just like the bog carts I remember riding on in Bristol in the early 1970s.

Had enough of drilling holes and general wood work so turned my hand to the DCC side of life and have made up the harness needed to interface the turntable control side of things to the DCC world and onto PC control and RR&Co.

Fortunately the nice people at GF Controls maker this quite simple really by mounting a 15 way D plug onto the motor drive unit. This is intended for use with push buttons on a real world control panel with the buttons grounding out each pin as its pushed moving the deck to the road the button is allocated to.

So what is needed in the DCC world a s clever little box that emulates the push button and comes in the shape of Digirails DR4018 DigiSwitch that can be configured to do a multitude of things.

For my use I need it to have its 16 outputs equivalent to 16 push buttons in the real world although I don't need all 16  push button  as I will only have max 9 roads coming off the turn table.

Programming of it is easy as it uses smart programming by allocating an address to the first output and all the others follow on. For my use the first output is 101.

In RR&Co is will just put a simple push buttons on the switch panel with an address of 101 and up etc and the turntable will move to whatever road is allocated to that push button. There is a bit more to this as I will also make up maco's to run schedules via the turntable so locos can come off a train and turn and stable itself in the shed.

Simple really.

post-6682-0-12400600-1419172953_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-66778600-1419173853_thumb.jpg

The turntable is in, wired up and working.

I have added some tracks coming off the turntable for play value at the moment until I decide on the final plan for the engine shed area. I need to acquire a two road shed and from that the rest of the area will be developed.

I have put the full compliment of my steam fleet in the photo as well. 2014 has seen St. Davids go from 100% diesels to a mixed fleet and all the steam locos have been bought this year so not bad going. 2015 will see a few more bought to add a bit more variety but not too many more. Certainly the new 43XX from Lionheart Trains and having already had chance to play with one and see what makes it tick on the inside its too good to miss.

Track wise that's it except for the final arrangement in the engine shed area. 2015 will see work on the engine shed and the station buildings. A signal box is needed and side walls surrounding the layout.

That's it for now, plenty to do in 2015.

post-6682-0-22140600-1419675363_thumb.jpg

You have certainly been busy over the festive season, the turntable really looks the part and I'm sure once you have given it some of Mr Fays grime treatment it will look stunning.

What buffer stops are you using? As we are hoping to get some prototypical GWR one's 3D printed in the New Year. I was going to try and build some myself using some hand made jigs but decided life's too short.

Look forward to further updates,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

It has been a busy time but generally its gone well. The hardest part being cutting the hole to put the well into.

As for buffer stops, they are the bog standard Peco ones. I did a test one with a SMD red LED flush fitted with the back wall of the lamp and a 2mm diameter fibre optic rod through to the front and acting as the lens. It worked well and I'll do the same with all the others. Another job on the toilet roll long list of things to do.

Very nice TTG, a fantastic stock of steam loco's that you have there - I am looking forward to seeing this area of the layout develop - Will we be seeing a West Country class loco by any chance ? Un-Rebuilt of course :good:

Happy new year.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

Sorry the Southern wont be represented on the layout at the moment and have no plans do so.

It came close to having a rebuilt Merchant Navy but due to 'sales issues', I called a halt to the transaction and went for the Brit instead. I even had a credit card in my hand to pay for the MN but it was not to be due to something the seller said.

• 7 months later...

Archived