Duffus Road mpd

Mr Pix

Hi all...

The idea of the layout is for it to fit into a space of approx 5ft x 3f,thats all the space I can spare.I am in HM forces and have been posted 600 miles away from home so living on camp most of the time, it will give me something to do in evenings and at weekends.

I want to use the space i have to the maximum, it will be split level with the rear depot area running the hole 5ft from end to end 50mm above the main line that runs along the front of the layout.The middle distance will be a small freight yard and be 10mm above the main line.

The two main lines will be roundy round with a inner third line that will link the freight yard and the depot by a straight incline and all curves will be hidden.

I want it to be dual interest rather than just watching locos move on and off depot,with shunting the small freight yard and the main line passing by at the front of the layout should keep the varity of operation.

My era will be late 80s/early 90s, north east midlands with coal,steel,cement industrial feel.The depot area will have two lane through servicing shed and a three lane repair building with a single lane lifting shop attached.

Here is progress so far lots more to get on with sorry about picture quality.

Jez

post-4726-028818800 1289764700_thumb.jpg

post-4726-001421000 1289764748_thumb.jpg

post-4726-098492800 1289764799_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys....

Sorry no more photos at present Im at home on leave, just ordered an industrial backscene and will complete the laying of track.

Two CR Signals tower flood lights have just arived for the depot area, not sure weather to keep the sanding plant at rear of servicing depot, will it clutter that area up to much? Will have to scratch build pipe work and storage tank if I deside to keep it, remeber seeing these on our many visits in the late 80s with my father to Immingham,Frodingham and Doncaster as these were our local depots back then how things have changed since then.

Cheers Jez

• 1 month later...

Hi all..

A bit more work done.

Made a door for the servicing depot looks not to bad will need some more for the maint/repair depot building also got onto doing work on the small freight yard area with track laid and concreate hardstanding area done.

Started on the main depot building area with out buildings stores/workshops etc and concreate hardstanding to be completed.

Made an attempt at a British steel artic with coli load converted from a Tomytec container trailer, I like the colour I think the shade of blue is about right but does any know of any British steel 2mm decals?

Gaugemaster Industrial backscene arived...Large steel works complex looks good in 3 parts a bit shiney though needs to be laid out flat to get rid of creases just roofly placed on wall behind layout.

Lots more to do next on list is balasting depot area then all the electrial work to be done :( :(

sorry about picture quality need a new camera :unsure:

Jez

post-4726-0-35168500-1293545282_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-26066700-1293545320_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-03695800-1293545370_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-61322200-1293545394_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-45098000-1293546091_thumb.jpg

Hi all..

Thanks DAZ steady progress.

Porkie the backscene is blue tacked to the wall at the moment,not sure how Im going to stick it to the layout yet :unsure:

It has some creases at the moment from the carboard tube it was packaged in and it comes in three sections.

Jez

Hi all..

Here is my first attempt from scratch at a road bridge which will go over the depot entrance at one end of the layout, the road wil lead to cement/quarry.

A couple of attempts at wagon weathering.... The first is a HEA coal hopper which I believe had there bottom doors welded up and were used for scrap.I have used very fine metal swarfs from a lathe which I then glued to a false bottom.

The second is an Engineers OCA which I built up layers of hand painted colours and then wiped off excess with a sponge and left to dry, started with matt white to get that fadded look then different shades of brown/rust colours.

Jez

post-4726-0-15538200-1293746857_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-72714300-1293746913_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-45402200-1293747207_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The lorry looks really cool - have you looked at Fox or Precision decals for the British Steel transfers?

Keep up the good work!

Simon

Thanks... I will give them a look.

Jez

Hi Jez,

That road bridge looks superb B) and that's the first time you have scratched built a road bridge :blink: 10 out of 10

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Thanks Darren....just took my time same with the weathering .More projects on the go so hope they turn out ok ;)

Jez

• 2 months later...

Hi all..

Steady progress so far, made an attempt at weathering the concreate hardstandings for the small yard and cement siding.

Balasting and scenic work is next,grass, weeds ect maybe some redudant sleepers.

Some point motors on the lower level conected up to a control panel and working fine.

Jez.

post-4726-0-76266700-1301606647_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-39024500-1301606680_thumb.jpg

on our many visits in the late 80s with my father to Immingham,Frodingham and Doncaster as these were our local depots back then how things have changed since then.

Things have changed and I managed to get into one night Immingham a couple of months (I think) before it closed - just regret not having a camera with me :(

But Frodingham is doing quite well, though not in its original role!

My era will be late 80s/early 90s, north east midlands with coal,steel,cement industrial feel.

Right up my street Jez!

Very nice TMD, a good selection of buildings which makes it unique.

I also agree with Leon you have some nice locos too. The 58 looks really good sat outside the shed.

Look forward to more updates.

Hi all.

Thanks Leon and Mr Grimley ...

Looking forward to Dapols 56 to come out along with Farish new class 20 perfect traction for the 80s/90s with long rakes of mgrs and steel wagons.

A couple more images of the layout with cement silos tempory set in place these will have pipework added which will connect to the cement works behind the siding on a higher level. (sorry about picture quality).

post-4726-0-37376300-1301677140_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-35409300-1301677346_thumb.jpg

Nice Layout, plenty going on in a small space but not looking crowded excellent. I have only just found this thread so will keep up to date from here.

Thanks Tricky-CRS.... this is what im hopeing to acheive with the limited space I have.

Im pleased with the depot area and that I managed to get a servicing shed, washing plant, maint/repair shed, fuel storage tanks ect and that it dosent look cluttered or over crowded.

Im pleased with how it is coming along hope it will blend in with backscene and have the that open industrial feal.

Done a bit of weathering on a spa wagon and added a coil load.

post-4726-0-72139700-1301830829_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

Had a go at a grass bank which will rap around the end of the small freight yard on top of the retaining wall. Used grass matting as a base with a wooden lattice frame underneath to give a bit of depth, will add undergrowth and clump foliage to give it a more natural unkept look.

Started on the cement works/quarry area, built a gravel storege area above the tunnel which will be used to load the conveyer of the excellent Farish cocrete works. Gravel heaps to be added and a lot weathering to give that industrial look and feel.

Pipework will conect the lower lever cement siding silos to the upper level works.

Jez

post-4726-0-32960700-1302269587_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-36075000-1302269627_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-99329900-1302269647_thumb.jpg

post-4726-0-09607100-1302269669_thumb.jpg

Archived