Weathered Dapol JNA

Great stuff! The cat graffiti is so much more interesting than the plain tags I've been doing, and looks terrific on the model. The bogies have a much better sense of size and weight with your weathering too.

This (and the pic you posted in the suppliers thread) is the first I've seen of the JNAs that makes me want to get some - they're pretty much required for Whitemarsh, but it's good to see that the yellow does work when weathered.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work Mick, your weathering really does change the look of the wagon. Graffiti looks good but cannot condone that sort of behaviour!

All you need now is a nice 60 on the front!

Funny you should say that........ ;)

Thanks to all above for the compliments.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Nice weathering there!

It's good to that you've got a prototype pic because that graiffiti (which is fantastic) could be said to be a bit odd!

Simon

Thanks.

And if I did weathering like this one, I'd definitely need this pic to back it up!

post-408-090315700 1289950785_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Not least because it's not the same type of wagon ;)

Hi Dave,

There were some JNA's in the rake in a similar state, but didn't manage to get a pic. (Dapol are looking at MLA's.........!) ;) ;)

Cheers.

Mick

• 5 months later...

I started off not wanting to apply grafitti to any of my rolling stock (especially the locos)

However, I agree with varying degrees of weathering to give that more realistic look

Having taking lots of photographs and videos of freight trains with containers, HAA, HTA, and HHA wagons I decided to test one HTA with graffiti and agree it actually completes the model

Grafitti on passenger trains is rare, however when it does appear it tends to be quite extreme (seen for a few days and then removed)

Grafitti on freight trains tends to be small and often left in place

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Found another Cat wagon today. Just purrfect to replicate........ :D

post-408-0-35588100-1304201612_thumb.jpg

And here's my take on it (the bow in the body is created by the closeup pic)

post-408-0-53253600-1307490716_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Have you used Silver Mick or another colour or is it your lighting?

Pete

Yes I have used silver and yes it's the lighting. Fluorescent. I only did a very quick colour cast adjustment.

I'll try and get a daylight pic.

Edit: Pic added

post-408-0-73928700-1307561228_thumb.jpg

Done in a hurry before the sun went down as the wheels aren't on the track!

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Resurrecting an old topic as I've acquired a few more JNA's to bolster my infrastructure fleet.

A couple were acquired in a "heavily weathered" [1] state. I've yet to see any JNA's in that condition, so I set to to remove some of the excess.

I wasn't certain what effort/solvent would be required as I didn't know which type of paint had been used, so I started with the mild stuff - meths.

Luckily this was suitable at the first attempt and 20 mins and a few cotton buds later, I've got down to something that can be developed to a more suitable finish.

After above before!

post-408-0-43114600-1327090078_thumb.jpg

I still need to remove a bit more in the corners and then start on making the undeside dirty. Patch painting and graffiti will follow on in due course.

Other things on the "to do" list for the fleet, are spoil ballast loads complete with a few broken sleepers.

And a small exercise in brass strip....

post-408-0-81733400-1327090957.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

[1] Another ebay example of "let's chuck an airbrush at it".......

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple more JNA's with graffiti.

Prototype

post-408-0-26296900-1338066611_thumb.jpg

Model

post-408-0-42919400-1338066794_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-82780300-1338066693_thumb.jpg

Prototype

post-408-0-55242600-1338066969_thumb.jpg

Model

post-408-0-77593300-1338066942_thumb.jpg

They've both been done freehand with acrylics - apart from the silver, which is enamel.

Thanks to NickL2007 for the prototype pics.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived