Heljan 128

beast66606

Thanks to all for the reviews, its great to see really positive messages, I am now encouraged to buy one, having seen them on sale yesterday at a toy fair for a good price ,but not having read the web i held off.

(interesting to see that Hattons have not yet updated their site to say if they had their delivery).

Thanks to all for the reviews, its great to see really positive messages, I am now encouraged to buy one, having seen them on sale yesterday at a toy fair for a good price ,but not having read the web i held off.

(interesting to see that Hattons have not yet updated their site to say if they had their delivery).

Hattons still not got theirs which is ironic? Though they often send their own van to Denmark and collect if a big order. Was told today 'imminent' I can wait as still need to save up for sound chip too.........

• RMweb Gold

Mine now running in - 3V01 and 3M01 installed for southbound and northbound workings respectively together with a driver.

Headcodes easy to do. The Heljan dominos are self adhesive stickers - easy to remove once the glazing is out. Do this with gentle pressure using a cocktail stick from outside until it yields - 3/4 of mine cracked in to 2 pieces when doing this but as this was directly under the position of the central dividing bar not a problem. Stickers removed, glazing re-installed with a smidgeon of Micro crystal clear (MCC) down the central dividing bar and then the smaller of Precision Labels headcodes cut to size and installed - again secured with a small dab of MCC at top and bottom.

If the actual headcode box detatches not a problem - easy to re-install, may just result in a few flakes of yellow being dislodged but easy to touch up.

Final effect - headcodes perhaps appear set too far back as Heljan glazing quite thick, may replace with home made glazing if ultimately not happy.

Havent tested haulage but imagine capabilities are totally non prototypical as that looks like a loco chassis Heljan have installed.

Phil

All these photo's that you people are posting of you new class 128's is P**sing me off no end.

I'm still waiting for Hatton's to get there stock and then post mine to me. :resent: 

This unit is looking the dog's danglers.

Hurry up Hatton's

Carl

I visited an exhibition yesterday afternoon in Northampton and purchased the DPU version in green with white roof domes and yellow corridor connection for the sum of £94 from the Cheltenham Model Centre stand.  They had at least three different versions from what I saw.  I had to walk around the hall for 15 minutes to think about whether I needed one.  The answer was no.  Then I asked myself as a western region modeller, did I want one.  The answer was an emphatic yes.  I try to be selective in what I purchase but being both a western man and a DMU/railbus fanatic, it was inevitable....... 

After reading reviews on here regarding small detail bits falling off, I carefully removed the packaging and gently placed it on the track, noting that for a single car unit it is by far the heaviest model I've ever come across.  This extra weight will provide it with excellent traction - enough to pull a 14 car rake!!!  I'm not entirely sure why Heljan have used so much weight in it.  That said it is a fantastic little model with a smooth mechanism and performs admirably on 12 volt DC.  I'm currently running it in with a Gaugemaster controller on 50% of power in each direction on my small test layout (4 foot square with second radius track).

I thought the W & M railbus was pretty good, but this Class 128 DPU is fantastic.  I wonder if Heljan have plans to use the chassis for other models, or if they are going to look at producing any other DMUs in addition to the railbuses already announced.  After all, it would be rude not to.................

Regards,

Paul (aka Intercity125)

Intercity125, on 10 Mar 2013 - 17:12, said:

I wonder if Heljan have plans to use the chassis for other models, or if they are going to look at producing any other DMUs in addition to the railbuses already announced. After all, it would be rude not to.................

Unfortunately it's not a low profile power unit so is probably only useful in other parcels stock (so 129 then..?).

There are two very good reference articles (by Dibber 25) in the late lamented Motive Power Monthly magazine.

May 1988 - 'A New Lease of Life for Scooby-Doo'

December 1990 - 'Pass the Parcels'

The latter article includes details of all DPUs (including conversions) of the TOPS era together with withdrawal dates.

Chris

There are two very good reference articles (by Dibber 25) in the late lamented Motive Power Monthly magazine.

May 1988 - 'A New Lease of Life for Scooby-Doo'

December 1990 - 'Pass the Parcels'

The latter article includes details of all DPUs (including conversions) of the TOPS era together with withdrawal dates.

Chris

Yep, they sound familiar. Pity I don't now have copies. Found the pictures of Scooby-Doo yesterday. Will have to do a weathered blue version of 55991 with the name.

CHRIS LEIGH

Despite my frustrations with brake gear falling off the Dapol Western (two bits fell off my STEAM l/e, too, as well all the bits off the review sample). Nothing has so far fallen off the Heljan 128 and it comes with all the bits fitted. I have had it running with a considerable load and the coupling has been fitted - and operates fine on 2ft radius - without removing any of the details or pipes. 

CHRIS LEIGH

You must be one of the "favoured" ones, Chris!!  I've just opened a second 128 (this time in green) and there are 5 parts floating around in the box before I've even removed the loco from its packaging!!

Via the HJ W&M Railcar thread, just came across this... W55993 in green on page 4, passing Friars Junction at Acton on the Up Relief by the looks of it...

http://www.tracksnorth.co.uk/Trains/Railway-Archives/24465688_pMQBzN#!i=1996343107&k=kvHJvVm

No date but the colour light signal over on the Up Main is pre-1967 Old Oak / Paddington remodelling scheme vintage

Tidy!

Yep, they sound familiar. Pity I don't now have copies. Found the pictures of Scooby-Doo yesterday. Will have to do a weathered blue version of 55991 with the name.

CHRIS LEIGH

Just wondering, why was it called Scooby Doo?

• RMweb Gold

Via the HJ W&M Railcar thread, just came across this... W55993 in green on page 4, passing Friars Junction at Acton on the Up Relief by the looks of it...

http://www.tracksnorth.co.uk/Trains/Railway-Archives/24465688_pMQBzN#!i=1996343107&k=kvHJvVm

No date but the colour light signal over on the Up Main is pre-1967 Old Oak / Paddington remodelling scheme vintage

Tidy!

Post 1962 Nidge as the signal looks to have an 'OO' number plate although it was probably converted to 4 aspect sometime prior to then.  I'm pretty sure it survived the 1967 scheme but the junctions were altered at sometime in the early 1970s I think.  The picture is probably sometime in 1962 or 63 as the DPU is still in good external condition.

Can I ask what type of multiple working has the 128 got? I saw a 101 with a 128 in some of the photos in these post? At the Gcr we have a class 127 sandwich with a 101? My driver said that they had to make colour code and make for the multiple working but the wiring is the same to change gear, power.....etc....

Can I ask what type of multiple working has the 128 got? I saw a 101 with a 128 in some of the photos in these post? At the Gcr we have a class 127 sandwich with a 101? My driver said that they had to make colour code and make for the multiple working but the wiring is the same to change gear, power.....etc....

Blue square: http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/128/128.html.  101s were also blue square.

See also pictures in posts #175 and #202.

Guest jim s-w

Despite my frustrations with brake gear falling off the Dapol Western (two bits fell off my STEAM l/e, too, as well all the bits off the review sample). Nothing has so far fallen off the Heljan 128 and it comes with all the bits fitted. I have had it running with a considerable load and the coupling has been fitted - and operates fine on 2ft radius - without removing any of the details or pipes. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I know its only march Chris but D&E model of the year so far perhaps?

Cheers

Jim

Archived