Heljan 128

beast66606

My  Speedwhiskers  Green  version arrived  this  Morning  from  Arcadia,  very impressed  with  it  it  is  surely a contender  for  model of the  year!!

I sometimes  feel  that  Heljan  dont  get  the  accolades  they are due!

Nothing  had  fallen  off in  transit!

I have  fitted  a  decoder  this  took me  around 15 minutes  from  start  to finish,  the  body  came off the  chassis  very  easily ( and  was  re-fitted  easily  also)

• RMweb Premium

I have  fitted  a  decoder  this  took me  around 15 minutes  from  start  to finish,  the  body  came off the  chassis  very  easily ( and  was  re-fitted  easily  also)

That's good news - after the other posts I wondered if I should have got my retailer to do it for me...

That's good news - after the other posts I wondered if I should have got my retailer to do it for me...

It  was  very  easy  to  do  after  reading  some  of  the  posts in other locations  I was  a little dubious, but  really  there  was no problem,  just  remove  4 long  screws, part  the  body sides from the  chassis  slightly  with tiny flat  screwdrivers ( or  finger nails) slip   some  paper strips  into the gaps to prevent the body going back into position, once its all done on both sides  the chassis will drop out ( on to the  piece of  foam one  has  thoughtfully placed on the work bench./kitchen work surface depending on the location of SWMBO)  .

In common with many Heljan locos  the pcb  floats  slightly on the  chassis  being  held in place with a couple of  rubber pieces, so the PCB tends to move downward as the  decoder is inserted.

Re-assembly  is  equally  as  simple.  

the  whole  job was much  easier  than  with  the  Bachmann 4 CEPs

Just  a thought  I wonder if  \Heljan  has considered  marketing  unpowered  128s as these used to run in pairs  quite   often, I would  think twice  about  buying  a  second  powered  one  but  would  but  an unpowered one if the price  was favourable.

I dont  know  maybe  the   cost  of producing unpowered ones  would not be  beneficial in the long  term to Heljan

Mine turned up today with the body displaced and cracked around the headcode boxes at one end - "What !! Mazac issues already" I thought............

Turns out that the headcode illumination perspex had become displaced & pushed out the body, cracking it at the headcode boxes, clearly this had occurred whilst Mrs Wong was hammering the body & chassis together.

Heartstoppingly removed all the screws and removed the body, removed the remaining 1/2 of the perspex (no sign of the other half) and replaced the body - cracks closed (and invisible now), no paint damage, headcode box & corridor back in place - phew !

Glued a couple of underside fittings back in place - now THAT is a detailed underframe (IMHO)..............Happy Bunny - it's a lovely thing and I got to do some modelling too........... :O

Well done Heljan - everything I was expecting when this was announced - looks the part towing a couple of blue Hornby B vans on the mid-morning Newbury - Southampton mail picking up at Whitchurch en route ......... :sungum:

For  further  info  re  performance etc, (apologies if this  has  already been mentioned)

The 128  will work  sarisfactorily  with Kadees fitted ( No20 NEM Plugin)  even down to R1  radius  which exists in a part of one of the storage loops!   

• RMweb Premium

Sound-wise they were very similar to the main fleets of diesel-mechanical units.  The exact sound varied.  The larger Gloucester-built class as represented by Heljan had Leyland (Albion) engines rather than the more commonly used BUT (AEC) units but otherwise standard diesel-mechanical transmission.

In traffic they purred along and chuffed on the gear change just like most others of their generation but a well-attuned ear would have been able to tell the difference compared with a class 115/6/7/8 alongside which they ran daily.

Is anyone planning to sell sound chips for these; ie does an Albion Engined unit still exist to record???   And just out of interest, (I think someone has already asked this) why are the known called Scooby-Doo? I know there are pics with that name fingered into the gangway dust, but is there another reason?

I guess Heljan could do unpowered ones but it would require a new chassis mount block what with it bring a die cast chassis block and unpowered....Maybe hopefully fingers crossed possible if they consider units of more than two cars in the future?

I would suppose an unpowered version as is wouldnt be that much cheaper?

Ian

Nice innit?

post-2274-0-74910400-1363194273.jpg

Superb - except that I noticed when 'playing' with mine that the running number, etc. certainly isn't Gill Sans Medium as it should be.

The characters are 'raked' to the right, and the figure 1 has a serif at the top.

Surely Heljan can afford a pukka Gill Sans Medium font? I'd have let them use mine - for a modest consideration!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Is anyone planning to sell sound chips for these; ie does an Albion Engined unit still exist to record???   And just out of interest, (I think someone has already asked this) why are the known called Scooby-Doo? I know there are pics with that name fingered into the gangway dust, but is there another reason?

I think it might be my fault. W55991 ran with its Scooby-Doo name in the gangway dirt for quite a long time and I used the name in an article in (I think) Motive Power Monthly. I guess someone at Southall or Reading coined the name and it seems to have stuck. I believe Scooby-Doo was a cartoon character but I've really no idea why it came to be applied to these cars.

CHRIS LEIGH

I guess Heljan could do unpowered ones but it would require a new chassis mount block what with it bring a die cast chassis block and unpowered....Maybe hopefully fingers crossed possible if they consider units of more than two cars in the future?

I would suppose an unpowered version as is wouldnt be that much cheaper?

Ian

The two in the London area seldom ran together as they had separate diagrams. If an extra vehicle was needed they tended to add a DMU car or two, as that could enable driving from either end, whereas if you used a BG or whatever, you had to run round. I'm thinking I'll run a detailed Lima 117 car with mine if I need to. In the Rail blue era it seemed more usual to run two 128s coupled together - but more usually the ones on the LM. In all my pictures of 55991/2 from green through to PO red, none show them coupled together.

CHRIS LEIGH

attachicon.gifP1000476.JPG

Superb - except that I noticed when 'playing' with mine that the running number, etc. certainly isn't Gill Sans Medium as it should be.

The characters are 'raked' to the right, and the figure 1 has a serif at the top.

Surely Heljan can afford a pukka Gill Sans Medium font? I'd have let them use mine - for a modest consideration!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

It looks like they've used Adobe Myriad Pro. Oh dear. That's a fail. Input 55993 as the sample text on http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/myriad/ and draw your own conclusions.

RWJ

• RMweb Gold

About 50 years ago, the late David Jenkinson, in the course of his seminal "Is your mutton dressed as lamb?" article in RM, made us aware that fonts are of-their-era. Getting this right is important. But, for two pins, I'd still buy one of these - they look that good!

The characters are 'raked' to the right,

Just out of interest John, I see what you mean with respect to the '5' but is it apparent on any of the others?  What I'm noticing is that the number is not quite horizontal ...

Archived