Most beautiful station in Britain?

Guest jim s-w

There are almost too many beautiful stations to choose from, although I'm puzzled by some of the suggestions upthread.

In the spirit of Berney Arms mentioned above: Llandecwyn is probably the most beautiful small halt I've come across, although Rhydyronen on the Talyllyn runs it close. For handsome town stations, Hull Corporation Pier deserves an honourable mention despite not having very attractive surroundings (or, for that matter, trains). I also rather like the interior of Euston, partly because it reminds me of my university library foyer, but the outside is nothing special at all.

I think for small stations Abedour in Fife has won the 'best kept' almost every year since they invented the wheel.

J

I used to commute from Aberdour to Edinburgh Waverley every morning. A wonderful contrast between a lovely, quiet rural station with beautiful views of Aberdour Castle and the Forth estuary, then across the Forth Bridge, and into one of the finest large stations.

I almost looked forward to going to work but going home with the sunset over the Forth was even better.

Ian

Absolutely - I'm there at the moment. I would have loved to have seen it in steam days.

Colin

Sorry I couldn't quote the message above Colin's suggesting St. Ives.

The title of this thread is: "Most beautiful station in Britain". St. Ives is indeed a beautiful location but the the station itself is an ugly, squitty little affair! I'm not sure how to put it plainer......laugh1.gif

Best, Pete.

Sorry I couldn't quote the message above Colin's suggesting St. Ives.

The title of this thread is: "Most beautiful station in Britain". St. Ives is indeed a beautiful location but the the station itself is an ugly, squitty little affair! I'm not sure how to put it plainer......laugh1.gif

Best, Pete.

I'm perfectly aware of what the title of the thread is, thanks. We've all got different ideas of what makes a beautiful station. In my view, a looming great imposing train shed is not "beautiful", impressive perhaps, but not beautiful. But other people think differently, so they post it here. St Pancras and all that lot. All utter bilge if you ask me.

Penzance, Exeter St Davids, or Newton Abbot, in my area, are technically the prettiest that I've seen. They retain a lot of GWR charm, etc. and they are quite pretty buildings from an architectural point of view. Does that make them beautiful in my opinion? No.

My favourite, will always be St Austell, followed closely by Par. They hold a special place in my heart, associated with many happy memories. I can still remember the entire station building and platform literally shaking as a 37 hauled a loaded clay train through at full speed and full throttle! And I can still remember double headers, trains too long to fit down the siding, and CDA's squealing around the points and that curve into St Blazey.

When I'm standing on St Austell station's platform, I look around and I see the original cast iron GWR footbridge, I see the original waiting rooms, I see the amazing view of the hills beyond, with Polgooth mine's engine house standing square on the horizon. I see Blackpool quarry's waste heaps to the west. I see all the iron railings and mature deciduous trees, and I see the massive, beautiful houses that once belonged to those who made their fortune in china clay.

That, to me, is "beautiful". It's home, it's what I grew up with, and it's what makes that station beautiful. And since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'd like to change my vote to St Austell.

As for St Ives, you're right, the station itself is just a platform with a bus shelter and a carpark. But just look at where it is, and you'll see what I mean. A person can grow fond of an ugly pile of concrete and bricks if he recognises it as being in a "happy place".

Best,

Scott.

Small station... Filey, and also Pickering now it has a replica of a similar overall roof.

Large station... Birmingham New Street, its beauty being functional rather than visible.

Stoker/Scott, That's fine with me thanks for the explanation.

I don't get tied to the one location, I suppose and see just as much beauty in Cities as in Country. Today, right now, my favourite station concourse is Grand Central in New York. It's as if it was designed to show beauty to the people who HAVE to go to work every day in the City and don't have the joy of a beautiful countryside to wonder at, at home.

http://upload.wikime...se_Jan_2006.jpg

I'm just sorry that such a lovely station is not sited in Britain!

Best, Pete.

Archived