Most beautiful station in Britain?

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

We have an ugliest station thread running but what are your thoughts on britains most beautiful station, past and present?

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Mainline station - York comes straight to mind.

London terminus - Paddington.

Smaller stations are difficult to decide, is it location or buildings? Location, Barrhill on the Stranraer line comes to mind. Building - well it's not easy to spot from a passing train but I nominate Lincoln ( in semaphore days ) for the well kept buidings.

Guest jim s-w

New Street I presume Jim? Beauty is in the eye of etc. etc......

God no! I am under no illusions that new street is beyond grim. Interesting and a place that I have a strong personal link to but grim!

Cheers

Jim

Bits of Glasgow Central are nice, Newcastle is quite nice but York I think has been tastefully maintained as it has changed over the years.

Manchester Piccadilly although modern has something since they cleaned up and repaired the roof.

Had it stayed open Manchester Central would have looked wonderful today as it was a clean lined structure rather like St Pancras.

Of the larger and still active stations, it is certainly hard to beat York. Unlike so many others, the more modern accretions are relatively modest and do not impose themselves in most views.

Nevertheless, to my mind, there is nothing to beat Brunel's original train shed at Bristol Temple Meads.

Nick

London St Pancras and Bristol Temple Meads as already mentioned.

I've always been impressed by the outside of London Victoria and the inside of London Paddington too.

If we can count disused stations then I'd go for Southampton Terminus although I suppose technically it is the adjoining hotel building that I think is beautiful.

As for smaller stations I can think of many which have beautiful surroundings, but for the station building itself it has to be the big grand Victorian structures for me!

• RMweb Premium

Bradford on Avon is a very nice little station. It can't compete with larger stations in terms of the grandness of architecture but for a good example of a wayside station it has a lot going for it.

800px-Brdg_BOAStn_P1010192.JPG

image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brdg_BOAStn_P1010192.JPG Photographer = Bashereyre

• RMweb Premium
1.gif I forgot about St Pancras when I was thinking of London! Yes St Pancras is better than Paddington by many miles! I was much more familiar with Paddington due to using it a LOT more often, travels to and from boarding school and the 50s out of it!

The platforms at Paddington are very airy and the roof over them is impressive, perhaps that's the attarction? I like the pinkish quality of the light there.

I like Kendal, the station itself isn't great but the view is stunning.

Exeter St Davids is fairly unspoilt too

• RMweb Gold

Nevertheless, to my mind, there is nothing to beat Brunel's original train shed at Bristol Temple Meads.

Nick

Which clearly makes it the most beautiful car park in Britain (if not the whole world?)laugh.gif It was even nicer when it still had railway track but definitely a bit on the grubby side.

Most beautiful station currently in use for trains is York as far as I'm concerned, Paddington has always been let down by the Lawn area and it has become even worse since it was retiled with skating rink material and invaded by all sorts of little huts that sell things like burgers, writing pads, and underwear - it comes to mind as a very seriously failed attempt to emulate Liverpool St. St Pancras has a lot going for it because it is a nice structure and the paint is new & shiny but somehow it doesn't quite work for me and never has.

• RMweb Gold

Do preserved stations count? I'm hard put to recall precise individual details of all three, but the Bluebell's three stations take some beating to my mind. Ok, so I'm LBSCR-minded, come from the South East, and like the country-house design that T.H.Myres introduced in those and about a dozen others - indeed our last house in Kent (built 1887) was not totally dissimilar.

I have every confidence other preserved lines can muster some strong competition!

Kemble gets my immediate vote... despite bit's of it having been removed after the Tetbury and Cirencester branches closed in the sixties.

Perth too, always had a soft spot for it.

Off to Paddington tomorrow for a HST course, must remember to look up!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Kemble gets my immediate vote... despite bit's of it having been removed after the Tetbury and Cirencester branches closed in the sixties.

Perth too, always had a soft spot for it.

Off to Paddington tomorrow for a HST course, must remember to look up!

Nidge ;)

The HSTs are the ones with a sort of pointy end Nidge - but surely you ought to know thatbiggrin.gif And yes, the best bit of Paddington is looking up but don't forget the 'balcony' which overlooks Platform 1, that really is something in my view (and you get a good view from it but access not now easy I suspect).

Archived