Most beautiful station in Britain?

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Gold

A hot summers day, flowers in bloom and the bees buzzing. A distant plume of smoke means a train is on its way....

Blue Anchor station. Been there, experienced that and something that will never be forgotten....

Really strikes a chord, even though sadly I've not been to Blue Anchor, although I have been accused of something that sounds similar! My comparable experience in recent years was at Wittersham Road, just sitting on the platform in fine weather, and,as you say, the (preserved) steam train drifting slowly towards me. I am happy living in France, but even crowded SE England has some fine railway memories for me.

Sheer poetry ;)

It was and something my wife and I will never forget. We'd walked from Watchet along the coast and arrived at the station about 20 minutes before the train arrived. There wasn't a soul there and the silence was amazing. You can see right down the line towards Minehead and the plume of smoke appeared well before you could make out the loco....

There is panoramic view in this link...

http://www.wsr.org.uk/ba.htm

I think you have to go Underground for the most beautiful. Take your pick in Moscow or perhaps City Hall in New York. I'm quite partial to some of the Paris metro stations but above ground you can't beat the northern end of the Piccadilly:

holden+stations.jpg

Mainline? How about Surbiton or a classic Southern Railway all-concrete halt like Southease and Rodmell?

Well I have to agree with York,

and I was surprised it was only the exterior of St. P that got a vote - but I think others have dropped that caveat - it now has to be both perhaps the nicest interior

and one of the ugliest (the modern extension) at the same time.

AND the most improved station - St. Pancras Thameslink (OK I know it is really a new station!)

I also like Ulverston http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Ulverston%20and%20Lancaster%20Railway

and Beverley is rather nice - and retains the original NER huge tile map. http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Beverley

Paul Bartlett

post-387-062202300 1290424996_thumb.jpg

post-387-074717500 1290425031_thumb.jpg

post-387-089979300 1290425094_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

For a preserved station, I really like Staverton on the South Devon Railway.

Absolutely - despite my love of all things Southern, it gets my vote - a real gem.

• RMweb Gold

A hot summers day, flowers in bloom and the bees buzzing. A distant plume of smoke means a train is on its way....

Blue Anchor station. Been there, experienced that and something that will never be forgotten....

Summer's day at Blue Anchor, must be raining then ;) Still my favourite caravan site :lol:

In preservation I'd go for Carrog, currently the western extremity of the Llangollen Railway, as a showpiece example of what can be done with attention to detail.

On the national network the decaying parts of Paddington rob it of first place for me which is a shame as I come from a line of servants of the GW and came to be very fond of it as a spotty spotter. St Pancras is my winner. Its transformation from unloved barn with a tatty hotel at one end to international gateway was done with care and sympathy and its architect in charge, Alastair Lansley, well deserved the CBE that he was awarded by HM The Queen. Wait till the hotel refurb is finished and you will have a world-beater.

Chris

Well another vote for York from me, for starters.

I tend to like stations that have little hidden corners and viewable stabling points. Someone's already mentioned Perth, and I'd add Inverness and Carlisle.

At the other end of the scale, few places can match the simple charm of Berney Arms.

I selected Liverpool Street as the most beautiful interior for a couple of reasons. The incredible brickwork and architecture that was hidden under decades of grime. The "sky walks" which thankfully have been retained (and added too?) - these were significant to Liverpool St.'s attraction to me as a young kid - tremendous views of the ceiling, which is still magnificent and the trains themselves.

This station has always been the "Cinderella" of the major London terminii despite the massive volume of train movements it has had since the days of the "JAZZ" service (in fact my Father told me that there used to be a thriving prostitute service in the 20's and 30's between Liverpool St. and Bethnal Green (plus the quick train ride back for the women).

Here's a recent photo of just part of the concourse:http://commons.wikim...n_concourse.jpg

I bet a lot of RMweb'ers have never visited this station I urge you to do so, very interesting and built on site of "Bedlam" (or close to).

Best, Pete.

To be honest I've never understood the attraction for Paddington.............but what do I know?

Me neither.

It's the coldest, dampest & darkest of all the London Termini. St Pancras is a lot nicer.

Sacrilege!

Paddington is Brunel's temple to THE railway, or perhaps more accurately, the railway's temple to Brunel.

I'll grant you that it is dark and not really at all a fun place to have to wait for a train - other than for acolytes to all things 'western'. Despite the impressive size of the space enclosed by the roof and its cathedral qualities, it does honestly feel dingy and weighted down with age but I won't admit to saying any of that.

Sacrilege!

I'll grant you that it is dark and not really at all a fun place to have to wait for a train - other than for acolytes to all things 'western'. Despite the impressive size of the space enclosed by the roof and its cathedral qualities, it does honestly feel dingy and weighted down with age but I won't admit to saying any of that.

Take a look at the photo of Liverpool Street (in my post about three posts up) - hardly ever mentioned anywhere yet it has the third highest use of any station in London on a daily basis.

I used to use both Paddington and Liverpool Street regularly whilst living in London - I know which one I preferred to use - and it wasn't heading West!

Best, Pete.

Liverpool street is in my book the best of the london main stations.

As a young child I always looked forward to going home to Billericay from Liverpool Street.

The contrast between there and Euston or Broad Street, my arrival stations in London depending on the time of day, was amazing. To get from Broad Street to the Southend line platforms could be done by walking around of end of the longer main line platforms and through a very dingy area, if I remember correctly, or you could go the longer way via the steps and the walkways. It was always up the steps for me, even at four years old I liked the place.

Bernard

A couple in Manchester for me. I quite like the faded grandeur of Victoria with it's wooden ticket windows and huge tile map of the L&Y network, but also Manchester Oxford Road,one of the few stations designed in the 60's that still has it's looks.

post-993-093029900 1290463070_thumb.jpg

post-993-012572400 1290463082_thumb.jpg

Archived