Most beautiful station in Britain?

Guest jim s-w

Guest dilbert

Well there was a time when the floral compositions at the platform level etc.. were the pride of the people who worked at that station... a spot of colour to break up the mundane routine of daily life and not specific to a particular railway company.

I like this extract from "Great Western Aspects N°3 - Sutton Scotney" by Kevin Robertson and published by Kestrel Railway Books (ISBN 1-905505-00-0)

... it was stated that a climbing rose on the platform side of the goods shed had been trained to form the letters GWR

(that would be an interesting item to model) ...dilbert

Guest Belgian

Edinburgh Waverley sits beautifully in its setting and still has suitable grandeur to be the principal station of Scotland's Capital City.

The HSTs are the ones with a sort of pointy end Nidge - but surely you ought to know thatbiggrin.gif And yes, the best bit of Paddington is looking up but don't forget the 'balcony' which overlooks Platform 1, that really is something in my view (and you get a good view from it but access not now easy I suspect).

Ah, thanks for that handy tip Mike, I'll make sure I get in the front cab and not the back one.... :D . As for Paddington, I just need to look down from the footbridge at the country end and my imagination will do the rest!

And while I'm at it.... Rugby Midland had a sort of neglected beauty all of it's own before Network Rail tore the old LNWR roof down.

Nidge

This may be worth splitting our thoughts into the most beautiful station buildings/train shed etc. and the station with the best overall ambience as there ae some pretty ordinary looking stations in beautiful surroundings and stations such as St. Pancras in some fairly ordinary looking places. But then I suppose it's a case of all things to everyone.

This is why for me York has it all. A great looking station and train shed surrounded by a castle wall and gardens.

St. Pancras...Great building and train shed (the sheer span of it) in ordinary surroundings.

I'm biased here, but Goathland, Grosmont and Whitby are unremarkable stations in beautiful surroundings.

A hot summers day, flowers in bloom and the bees buzzing. A distant plume of smoke means a train is on its way....

Blue Anchor station. Been there, experienced that and something that will never be forgotten....

Sheer poetry ;)

Wemyss Bay. Here's the circulating area and

a video which shows a lot more of the station. (Some interesting selection of areas to show!)

The concourse and ramp to the ferry are wonderful and the gents is old school but the platforms aren't overly special apart from the pillars. The view from Kendal is nice but it really is just a stone bus shelter. Oxenholme is a lovely peaceful (it was when I was there in August) station. If they cut down the trees, one would have a lovely view across the valley.

• RMweb Premium

Glasgow Central

Did you know JFK gave his first public appearance there standing in for his father, Joseph, who was the American Ambassador during WWII?

Stunning architecture, fantastic concourse, very busy! Huge but always feels very homely to me.

At the other extreme- how about Corfe Castle on the Swanage line or even Swanage itself?

Charlbury plus similar others. The smaller GWR buildings do have a certain charm that their better known bigger relations lack.

Reserve, Alnwick as previously stated.

Maldon East on the GER had something going for it as well. Still extant but a bit the worse for wear the last time I saw it.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Larger stations : York has it over St. Pancras pre-Eurostar rebuild but not by a lot

Modest stations : Lincoln (Central - St Marks was a pit) as it was pre-resignalling

Small stations : Corrour

Preserved lines : Horsted Keynes

Less attractive station in a pretty spot : Looe or Cynghordy

Best Car Park : Bath Green Park (not sure if it still is one but it certainly was at one time).

Archived