The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I don't think Liverpool could afford to turn down a huge offer for Suarez no matter how important to the team he is. No doubt United is hugely successful financially but it's the rest of the Glaziers portfolio that a few years ago according to the BBC and a few others didn't look so rosy. There is no doubt though United don't have to sell him for the money and if I suggested they did it wasn't my intention. But like Red Devil said you don't cross Fergie and get away with it. If the offer is good Rooney will go!

Mark

Not disputing the Glazers and their other interests and I'm the last person to defend them, but the revenues that they have extracted whilst at United are mind boggling, obviously there's the debt they loaded onto the club and I for one will not be giving them a penny. However the acumen showed in some of the sponsorship deals has to be acknowledged, there was one comment from a pre Glazer insider along the lines of 'If we we're still a PLC we wouldn't know what to spend the money on' such are the revenues now being generated by MUFC (as opposed to Red Football which has the debt). This coupled to the forthcoming TV deals....... Silly money. Yeah it's not the same as the half billion thrown at City or Abramovitch's roubles at Chelsea but it never has been, United have always generated their own income, even when we were in the 2nd division we still had the biggest gates in England.

Coupled with FFP if it ever really happens means that the Glazer control of United is stronger now than it previously was, unfortunately I can't see them selling to anyone in the near future..........Not even if say the Qataris or a Saudi Prince type decided he wanted a vanity club.  

So it's FC United for me for my live football fix.........

• Like 2

With regards to Rooney and the "City move" I don't think that there was any chance of him going then, it was just some stirring on his part to get more money and City's part to wind up Utd, during the whole of that saga I just couldn't see him crossing the city, it just didn't feel like it would happen... Come to that I can't see us wanting him now either but we shall see...

How long do you think it'll be until Fergie retires, RD, or do you think he'll die in the saddle (of a heart attack probably going by the colour of his face sometimes!)?

With regards to Rooney and the "City move" I don't think that there was any chance of him going then, it was just some stirring on his part to get more money and City's part to wind up Utd, during the whole of that saga I just couldn't see him crossing the city, it just didn't feel like it would happen... Come to that I can't see us wanting him now either but we shall see...

How long do you think it'll be until Fergie retires, RD, or do you think he'll die in the saddle (of a heart attack probably going by the colour of his face sometimes!)?

Not so, there was definate interest from City, this I know for fact....... Just as there was with Tevez, yeah there was a degree of trying to 'get one over' but the interest was genuine......

SAF, could be this year, could be two years, absolutely no idea there are that many conflicting rumours and counter rumours, I doubt if anyone other than the Glazers, Fergie, Cathy and possibly Gill actually know. I suppose it could be this year if they really want Mourinho and he wants the job. The two year rumour comes from supposed meetings of Ferguson and Guardiola in New York pre the Bayern Munich appointment, can't see who ele the Glazers would go for, Moyes? doubt it but possible. Klopp again doubt it, if not who else? Personally and it's just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing, I can see it being this year, but wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to be proved wrong.

There's several other things that firm up the United open to offers on Rooney in the last couple of days, I'd rather not post them on a open forum but I'm even more convinced now than I was before.

Yes, I can see Mourinho as being one of the few managers around who could replace Fergie as virtually an equal, but I wonder how long he'd last... You've been lucky with the stability that Fergie has provided, the danger these days is that if the new manager doesn't perform clubs get rid and lose the stability... Interesting times ahead!

Last game for Suarez in English Football? Nice fella, surprised Ivanovic didn't launch him to row Z.

Apparently biting someone is a term of endearment in Uruguay..................

post-7067-0-64809300-1366564583.jpg

Edited by Red Devil

• RMweb Gold

There's several other things that firm up the United open to offers on Rooney in the last couple of days, I'd rather not post them on a open forum but I'm even more convinced now than I was before.

Oh. go on - I won't tell that many people......

On more mundane matters in Division 1 - the Eddie Howe magic has worked wonders at Bournemouth since his October 2012 return. In the bottom four with 7 points from 11 games on his arrival they were promoted on Saturday and just a point from the final game at Tranmere this coming Saturday will bring the D1 Championship. Incredible season for the Cherries all round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's the Premiership title wrapped up for another season...

I'm sure the debate will rage again about the relative merits of Man Utd against the challengers, but quite simply they have been relentless in the league this season. If they win all their remaining games - a distinct possibilty - I believe it will be a record points haul (90-odd points available). You can't really dispute that the best team have done it again...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On more mundane matters in Division 1 - the Eddie Howe magic has worked wonders at Bournemouth since his October 2012 return. In the bottom four with 7 points from 11 games on his arrival they were promoted on Saturday and just a point from the final game at Tranmere this coming Saturday will bring the D1 Championship. Incredible season for the Cherries all round.

Don't forget Mr Howe (ex Pompey player) we did you a favour beating Sheffield Utd 3-0 at Fratton Park! :D

Seriously, well done to Bournemouth and good luck for next season.

Don't forget Mr Howe (ex Pompey player) we did you a favour beating Sheffield Utd 3-0 at Fratton Park! :D

Seriously, well done to Bournemouth and good luck for next season.

Indeed, and given Pompey's form recently looking good for for next season.

Edited by geoffers

Congrats RD!

Thought you'd like this one as well:

934750_10151334990301886_2066774030_n.jp

Except that's the top end of Deansgate, M/cr, but as no United fans come from Manchester I wouldn't know that.......

I don't suppose you get up to the big city from Stockport much then? :D

Edited by Red Devil