The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

What a finish to the playoff semi final.

You could not have written the script.

Well done Watford.

B**ger. Very exciting for 99% of the country though and well done Watford.

It seems that Frenchmen whose surnames begin with "K" are fated not to score penalties for Leicester in Play-off Semi-Finals - Kermorgant and now Knockaert.

Nevermind a new season beckons in a few weeks.

Edited by cary hill

I think it was the great Bob Paisley who said 'First is first and second is nowhere' as Roberto Mancini is about to find out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22501572

Rooney wants to leave but where to ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22502958

Rooney, don't care to be honest first time I've ever seen SAF **** a player over in public like that but it's been coming for a while and I'd say the majority of United fans wouldn't be too bothered if he does go, he's been awful this year, looked unfit and uninterested, I was convinced weeks ago he's on his bike, if I was a cynic I'd say it had been nicely played to deflect any criticism of his departure away from the incoming manager  :yes:  Chelsea, dunno, it's the RVP syndrome, I heard Bayern was preferred, but don't discount PSG or Monaco (Rooney in Monte Carlo, mind boggles). 

Mancini, again you have to give your head a bit of a wobble,  2 FA cup finals in 3 years, 1 league title, ok half a billion quid doesn't get you much nowadays but I'd have thought that reasonably respectable. Daftest I've heard is that Pellegrini isn't nailed on and it could be someone closer.....don't believe it but it'd be funny if it did happen.

• Like 1

No he's going to Everton. :no:

Ducks for cover !

Anyone see this from a couple of weeks back?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/28/brendan-rodgers-lined-up-to-replace-roberto-mancini-at-manchester-city-3684585/

Rumour doing the rounds much more recently that it's not all bull.......

Can't see it myself but it would be funny if it happened, I'll leave you to join the dots up......

I wonder if he's opened 'those envelopes' yet?

Unlike some people I have no problem congratulating the better side, so Congrats to Wigan on winning the FA Cup and United for winning the league... You both deserved it...

As Ron said, I do now wonder about Mancini's future, he has built up a very good side but seems unable to make them play like they are hungry for the win unlike Fergie... We shall have to see what the future holds...

On paper the city squad is the best in the league by a long way. Losing a cup final to a team almost certain to be relegated and finishing 10 points behind the league leaders instead of winning it by 10 points is huge huge underperformance by a manager. Man City with a good manager would have been unstoppable this season.

Well done Wigan; well done Roberto, bet you never thought you'd lead them to a Wembley win when you signed in '95; and nice one Dave, I bet today was the last thing on your mind when you were stretchered off in a final over 50 years ago.

Yes we'll done Wigan, now go get 6 points in the League and relegate the Mackems.

• RMweb Premium

Amongst all the excitement of Wigan winning the cup, and SAF retiring; with Moyes appointed a replacement, another news story has perhap undeservedly more or less gone unnoticed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22464215

Petrov is one of those underrated, but cucial, players to a team...loyal servant to the teams he has played for. His fight with leukemia has finally meant he has had to call time on his playing career, but now he intends to set up a foundation in support of those who suffer this condition. Apparently Paul Lambert is keen to retain him in a training/coaching role.

Good luck for the future...

'Bobby Manc' gone Erm, whats an 'Holistic approach to all aspect of the club mean',  in non management techno babble speech please?

Despite everyone’s best efforts, the Club has failed to achieve any of its stated targets this year, with the exception of qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League. This, combined with an identified need to develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the Club, has meant that the decision has been taken to find a new manager for the 2013/14 season and beyond.

Not so sure I'd want to be standing on that scaffolding with so many people.  Amazed they were even allowed up there..

Congrats to Man Utd and SAF just the same.  Fond memories of Spurs celebration when they won the double for the first time...:-)

Erm, whats an 'Holistic approach to all aspect of the club mean',  in non management techno babble speech please?

This according to the Beeb:

"What do City mean by holistic?

A dictionary definition of holistic means thinking about the whole of something and not just certain parts. It is understood City are referring to all aspects of the club - for example the youth system and first team - pulling in the same direction."

Didn't know holistic was management speak, but there you go!

And as Pelligrini's denying everything we can assume he's coming to Manchester, then!

• RMweb Premium

It does seem surprising that all of these clubs want to achieve the level of success gained by Man Utd, but consistently fail to adopt one of their guiding principles - i.e. not zapping their manager when they fail to achieve "stated targets" for that season.

Did Man Utd not finish empty handed last season? I don't recall any hint of SAF getting zapped as a result of this!

• Like 1

Holistic as in sign a bunch of overpaid mercenaries to buy instant plastic glory? The trick as to build a TEAM. As much as I disliked the blue nosed git, he always built teams.

• RMweb Premium

Holistic as in sign a bunch of overpaid mercenaries to buy instant plastic glory? The trick as to build a TEAM. As much as I disliked the blue nosed git, he always built teams.

Probably a bit harsh on City as there are some genuinely talented players there...and some most teams (including Utd) would happily take. Also, whilst there has been a noticable lack of desire from the players, they have still finished second in the league and made the FA cup final. I think the team most applicable to your comment is QPR. So many legends in their own lunchtime type players brought in, disrupting what team spirit there would have been in the place. Players like Clint Hill, Shaun Derry and Jamie Mackie, who will no doubt still be there after the likes of Cesar, Samba and Bosingwa have run off to chase their next big pay cheque, will be the ones left to try haul the club back up - perhaps a tall order, but you never know. 

I don't think it matters one jot if Manchester City adopt a "holistic approach" or any other, as David Gill has done such an admirable job for Manchester United by being instrumental in the Premier League's financial fair play regulations.

The FFP regulations can only further consolidate Manchester United's domination of the Premier League.

That's an unfortunate "double" for Wigan Athletic, but it does go to show that you can't hover over the relegation trapdoor for season after season and get away with it , unless you are Coventry City, but then even they fell through the trapdoor eventually.

No-one can take away Wigan's historic F.A. Cup win though, and relegation may just prove to be a "blip", if they have a decent manager and squad in the Championship.

I do feel sad that Wigan have gone down, but it was bound to have happened in the end. Even so, it was a shame they couldn't have pulled off a result last night, as it would've guaranteed Chelsea 3rd place...

Martinez seems a genuinely great bloke, as does Whelan, so I wish them both all the best for the coming season, but the moral of the tale, surely, is that you can't launch your survival bid with 8 games to go, year after year, and hope it'll be enough. 

Also sad to see Wigan go down.  They weren't in the game for the first 25 minutes but then came back strong.  I was willing them to win and allow Spurs a better chance to take the fourth spot.  

I'm just hoping Newcastle will give it their best shot with nothing to play for now they're safe..