The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

If it wasn't for the fact that Sunderland were involved I too would have liked Wigan to have escaped again. What a roller coaster few days for their fans.

I'm just hoping Newcastle will give it their best shot with nothing to play for now they're safe..

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/12/alan-pardew-arsenal-can-beat-newcastle-4-0-for-all-i-care-3756457/

• RMweb Gold
unless you are Coventry City, but then even they fell through the trapdoor eventually.

I'd happily settle for those days again David if it meant we weren't in the state we are now.

I'd happily settle for those days again David if it meant we weren't in the state we are now.

I hope they don't become Bescot Sky Blues next season. It's a great pity to see Coventry in this state, having sat at the High Table for so many years, albeit quite often towards the end of the Table.

Edited by cary hill

Well done Chelsea!  Totally outplayed in the first half, but somehow they hung in there.  Great goal from Torres who nearly left it too late and a winner deep into injury time...

Supporting Benfica must be worse than following Spurs....

I never forgave them for beating us 2-1 back in the 60's. :-)

• Like 1

Apparently Chelsea are now the only team to have held both European trophies at the same time (which will be true for all of a week!). Not sure if it's also the first time that a team has won two European trophies despite being outplayed for most of the final, but right now, who cares?

• RMweb Premium

[Another] Interesting little fact...

Juan Mata and Fernando Torres are the first, and thusfar only, two players to simultaneously hold the Champions League, Europa Cup, European Cup and World Cup titles. That, of course, will change next week when the Champions League trophy leaves Chelsea for Germany.

[Another] Interesting little fact...

Juan Mata and Fernando Torres are the first, and thusfar only, two players to simultaneously hold the Champions League, Europa Cup, European Cup and World Cup titles. That, of course, will change next week when the Champions League trophy leaves Chelsea for Germany.

I like little snippets like that. In some ways, their very transience, their blink-and-you-miss-it nature, makes them all the more fascinating!

Did anyone else catch the (two-legged) final of the FA Youth Cup on ITV4? I decided to take a look because Chelsea were involved, but it was actually a pretty good game. Norwich came away deserving winners over the 2 legs, but in many other ways, it was just like watching the real thing! Chelsea were missing Nathan Ake, the Ruud Gullit lookalike who's recently been promoted to the senior squad, but there can still be few complaints about a 4-2 aggregate win for the Canaries.

Of course, there were quite a few less desirable similarities to the senior game, too - stupid haircuts were much in evidence, as were coloured boots, and there was a lot of diving and play-acting, though perhaps not quite as much as in the PL. Oh, and there was the usual preponderance of players who weren't quite as good as they clearly thought they were... these boys will obviously go far in the English game!

Edited by Steve K

• RMweb Premium

To get back to football and away from global PLCs, I was very pleased to see Alloa comprehensively beat Dunfermline in the first leg of the Scottish 1st/2nd division play off final.  Hopefully they won't do a Forfar, and will hold on to their lead in the second leg at East End Park.

• RMweb Premium

Chelsea were missing Nathan Ake, the Ruud Gullit lookalike who's recently been promoted to the senior squad, but there can still be few complaints about a 4-2 aggregate win for the Canaries.

Of course, there were quite a few less desirable similarities to the senior game, too - stupid haircuts were much in evidence

The likeness really is quite spooky, are CFC into cloning now! Just have to see if he turns into as accomplished a footballer.

And what is about young footballers and questionable haircuts. Is there some competition to look as daft as possible? They can't possibly think that they look cool, can they? Can they . . . ?

David

Of course, there were quite a few less desirable similarities to the senior game, too - stupid haircuts were much in evidence, as were coloured boots ...

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in North America plain black boots are either really cheap and nasty or very expensive. For those of us who are past the age where we're going to be 'discovered', cost becomes probably the most important feature of a pair of boots. Hence the appearance of so many 'interesting' boot colours in our seniors games after sales in the local sports stores! 

Sad news of the death of a well liked Man Utd player of the 70s era,Brian Greenhoff.60 is no age is it.

Crikey, I didn't realise he was just a couple of years older than me !

Very sad. I remember that 1970's era team very well (the Doc's team), including Brian and his brother Jimmy (pictured here).

• RMweb Gold

Feel a bit sad for Tony Pullis.

Although we flirted with relegation briefly this season :O he still achieved an awful lot for the club and whilst the style of play is never that attractive, they did become one of those teams who could be awkward to beat, especially at home.

Wonder if they are talking to Rafa or Mo now?...:lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Pre-emptive moan re the new Championship season:

The ink is barely dry on the new season's fixture list and Sky are already messing with our fixtures - our first home game of the season - Leicester City v. Leeds United - has been moved from 3 p.m. on Saturday 10th August to 4.30 p.m. on Sunday.

We had 8 Saturday games moved last season courtesy of Sky. I hope they will cover more of our away games this season to achieve more like a 50/50 split, rather than lazily covering every other Saturday home game.

Looking on the bright side, if last season's level of Sky coverage continues, it can't be that long before the Sky Leicester City HD channel is launched, although it would only be suitable viewing for masochists.

At least you know where your home games are being played.I don't. :no:

I thought you had got a "freebie" season rent-free back at the Ricoh or has that fallen through already?

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

I thought you had got a "freebie" season rent-free back at the Ricoh or has that fallen through already?

According to the chief executive speaking for the owners 'that ship has sailed' on playing at the Ricoh.Today Walsall said no to a ground share.So it goes on...

According to the chief executive speaking for the owners 'that ship has sailed' on playing at the Ricoh.Today Walsall said no to a ground share.So it goes on...

Oh dear. Never mind. Just a quick 15 minute hop up the M69 will bring you to the magnificient Greene King Stadium, Hinckley. Ground capacity 4,329 (630 covered seats and 2,065 covered standing), although this may be a problem if success comes quickly.

The added bonus is that there is an excellent soup kitchen on site - just the thing to warm-up long suffering Coventry supporters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a surprise !

Three days ago, the owners of Leeds United announced that there was no money for buying players and that any purchases by the Manager would have to be balanced by sales.

Today, there is a new Chairman and a new Managing Director and suddenly a second signing appears .......plus the promise of support for future signings.

Aside from the departure of you-know-who, I have to wonder if our Brian didn't really fancy being a fall guy for failure, as so many in his position have been before.

Posh boxes and good hospitality are all well and good but there is a Leeds Arena opening on our doorstep and future concerts by the likes of Rod Stewart are likely to go there.

• RMweb Gold

At least you know where your home games are being played.I don't. :no:

We do now and its Northampton Town. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23163594

From my layout room I can see a 32000 capacity stadium going to be unused due to incompetence all round.Soap opera or farce .

Have a listen to the John Sillett interview it made me teary eyed I tell you.Whats gone wrong with the beautiful game in this country.

Edited by gwrrob

Whats gone wrong with the beautiful game in this country.

It's not a game any more (it hasn't been for years) - it's a business.

• Like 1

We do now and its Northampton Town. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23163594

From my layout room I can see a 32000 capacity stadium going to be unused due to incompetence all round.Soap opera or farce .

Have a listen to the John Sillett interview it made me teary eyed I tell you.Whats gone wrong with the beautiful game in this country.

Well that's the "where" sorted then. The next problem is the "when" - I suspect there may be several "Forlorn Fridays " and "Sad Sundays" to endure due to fixture clashes with Northampton Town.

With reference to the beautiful game my "Anorak Fact" for the day - the first away match I ever went to was at Highfield Road, Coventry, April 1st 1969, and the crowd would have been only 41,485 if I hadn't gone.

Those were the days......

• RMweb Gold

Well that's the "where" sorted then. The next problem is the "when" - I suspect there may be several "Forlorn Fridays " and "Sad Sundays" to endure due to fixture clashes with Northampton Town.

With reference to the beautiful game my "Anorak Fact" for the day - the first away match I ever went to was at Highfield Road, Coventry, April 1st 1969, and the crowd would have been only 41,485 if I hadn't gone.

Those were the days......

Its a very long time since we had gates that big for league games.Its not just the clash for football but don't the rugby club share their ground too.

I assume it was Leicester and I bet Shilts was in goal then too.

• Like 1

Its a very long time since we had gates that big for league games.Its not just the clash for football but don't the rugby club share their ground too.

I assume it was Leicester and I bet Shilts was in goal then too.

I think you're O.K. re the rugby, as Northampton Saints play at Franklin's Gardens which has approx 13,500 capacity.

Yeah Shilts was in goal, a mere nipper, then - not that it did us any good - as we were firmly on our way to a "Relegation from the Top Flight and lose the F.A.Cup Final Double" that season.